FordContour.Org

Changed fuel pump a while ago

coolsvt

Well I still have my 98 svt and have pondered selling it-parting it out-and blowing it up. I still have not figured out my cold start issue(explained in my previous posts). Has anyone else changed a fuel pump and had trouble getting the blasted thing out? I cut my plastic lines and just re fitted them back on the pump ports(they seem snug enough...no leakage) but on the return line(not even sure the return is applicable on my

year) could I be sucking air back in after I shut it off?(the fuel pump was one of the first things I changed out) I get a cold start like it is starving for fuel. I have measured the pressure at start up and it seemed correct(I believe it was 57lbs). Once it turns over and cranks-all is fine-it just happens on start(btw-I have changed just about everything so any theories about the IAB valve or the secondaries or the spark plugs/coil/sensors-we have already addressed that).

Mike

I cut my plastic lines and just re fitted them back on the pump ports(they seem snug enough...no leakage) but on the return line(not even sure...

This does not sound good at all...Why did you cut them? The connectors on the pump are just squeeze and twist...gently, to get out the red & white connections...Can you explain a little more please...

It has been a while since I did the pump but I do remember the dis connect connections disintegrated which left me to have to cut the lines. Hind sight being 20/20 I would have re evaluated my procedure.

Mike

..you must check the fuel pressure with the engine at rest before you do a first start. This system has RLP, residule line pressure, the feed line holds a lower pressure even with the pump/ign off.A hard start tells me you have a leak etc from between the pump and the fuel rail causing the RLP to drop and giving a hard first start.

Wouldn't I smell gas somewhere? How should I go about fixing the issue? Any ideas? Should I go back to the pump and try fitting the lines back on the ports better?

Sorry I am anxious-it has been almost a year and a half since it has run right-

M

....if you have the car running..let it stand overnight.next day check the fuel pressure first,NO ign on, no run,no crank.If the line has zero psi you have a leak. Then, if that is the case, try this, turn the key on and off 4>6 times but DON'T CRANK...after that crank...If the car starts then you have built up the line pressure prior to ign/crank/fire...You should revert, by repair , all the fuel line connects back to stoc.If you have a pic of how you fitted them up it would help...

Just a cut and press on fit with a hose clamp. I already did an overnight with a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve-no drop. I do not have the funds to go back to stock-I have to make this work.

M