12 replies to this topic

#1 maggie1952

maggie1952

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 Ford Contour SE 4cyl

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:03 PM

Which one of the oxygen sensors is for bank 1? This seems to be causing the stalling problem on my '98 Contour

#2 spridget

spridget

I eat fried rice.

• Moderators
  • 2,687 posts
  • Interests:driving fast
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 SVT

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:59 PM

Which one of the oxygen sensors is for bank 1? This seems to be causing the stalling problem on my '98 Contour

Is it a V6 or 4cyl? Regardless, you have 2 sensors on bank 1... one before the catalytic converter and one after. Give us the error code and we can go from there.

#3 pithon987

pithon987

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    silfro-1998 contour svt, Black 1998 contour svt

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:04 AM

Is it a V6 or 4cyl? Regardless, you have 2 sensors on bank 1... one before the catalytic converter and one after. Give us the error code and we can go from there.

can anyone help me get the "check engine" light off my tour the guy at auto zone told me it was the sensor on bank 1 sensor 2 which is?? someone help im really lost...............

#4 pithon987

pithon987

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Vehicle owned:

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:32 AM

or can it be that i have a vacuum leak? :blink: :unsure: :unsure:

#5 pdqford

pdqford

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:41 PM

or can it be that i have a vacuum leak? :blink: :unsure: :unsure:

Depends on the code. Post the code and these guys can get you in the correct area to fix your problem.

#6 spridget

spridget

I eat fried rice.

• Moderators
  • 2,687 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 SVT

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:19 AM

can anyone help me get the "check engine" light off my tour the guy at auto zone told me it was the sensor on bank 1 sensor 2 which is?? someone help im really lost...............

If the code was for the downstream sensor (ie sensor 2), it is unlikely to be a vacuum leak. It is more likely to be either a failing catalytic converter or a tired and lazy old sensor.

#7 pithon987

pithon987

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Vehicle owned:

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

ok so i went to autozone and they gave me 3 codes wich are.. P0141,P1131 and P0136 id greatly apreciate ur help on getting this annoying light off........

#8 spridget

spridget

I eat fried rice.

• Moderators
  • 2,687 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 SVT

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:06 AM

ok so i went to autozone and they gave me 3 codes wich are.. P0141,P1131 and P0136 id greatly apreciate ur help on getting this annoying light off........

P0141 Downstream HO2S Heater Circuit Fault, Bank No. 1
P01131 Lack Of Upstream HO2S Switch, Sensor Indicates Lean, Bank No. 1
P0136 Downstream HO2S Circuit Fault, Bank No. 1

Make sure the downstream sensor is plugged in first. If the heater circuit failed, it may have blown a fuse in the process, so check the fuses too. If the sensor is plugged in, and regardless if the fuse is blown or not, the sensor needs to be replaced.

The upstream sensor is reading lean, so you may have a vacuum leak. Is this a V6 or 4cyl?

edit... your profile says you own a V6...

Bank 1 is near the firewall, Bank 2 is near the radiator. The Bank 1 downstream sensor is mounted to the y-pipe, near the 180 bend. The upstream sensor is mounted on the exhaust manifold, near the top of the engine.

A lean code for a single bank on the V6 usually indicates a vacuum leak around the LIM (lower intake manifold). In my experience though, the P1131 (bank 1) and P1151 (bank 2) codes usually turn out to be bad sensors (the sensor is not switching, defaults to lean). Codes P0171 and P0174 (O2 reports lean) tend to be more accurate for tracking down a vacuum leak (the sensor is switching and reads lean).

#9 pithon987

pithon987

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Vehicle owned:

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:55 PM

well i have replaced all three 02 sensors, both bank 2 sensors and bank 1 sensor going down stream u think it could be that last sensor going upsteam by the engine manifold?? and wich fuses may have blown are they located next to the battery?? or are there more? :blink: :huh:

#10 pithon987

pithon987

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Vehicle owned:

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:24 AM

i'v checked all fuses next to th battery but there all good...... so :huh: :huh: wondering wat it could be....

#11 Gar

Gar

• Members
  • 522 posts
  • Interests:I'm a nerd electronics engineer during the week, and a semi-pro entertainer by weekend. I own a sound company and do local and regional bands, plus a few old nationals a year in the standing audience market.. festivals, municipal, corporate. Learned to drive at 5, and double clutch at 7. Many VWs, buggies, a TR4, and then family cars.
  • Vehicle owned:
    95 V6 GL strangely modified

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:21 PM

What's the current codes after the O2 sensor swaps? I'd be looking for burnt/melted wires going to that downstream bank 1 sensor because of the two codes related to it, and it's hot where the wires may lay. If codes still say no heater, then verify that you have 12 volts at the O2 sensor connector on the heater pin(s). The engine can/should be cold (you don't want to get burned), and not running, just key-on. The 12 volts from battery, through a fuse, through a key-on relay, through the PCM, goes through the O2 heater to battery return (ground). The PCM isn't seeing any current flowing in the O2 heater circuit, so it generates that no-heater code. If you find that there's no voltage at the O2 sensor plug, then identify the pin on the PCM plug where the heater voltage comes from the fuse, and see if it's there. If it isn't then measure at the fuse, etc. Follow the path that 12 volt takes. Electronics is friendly because it never changes its mind on how it works. Some measurements will give you the obvious explanation.... like a wire has become broken, but some might not be so clear to understand. See if you can meter the sensor pin at least, and I'll help. Deff look to see if that sensor's wire is laying on the exhaust manifold.

Gar

#12 pithon987

pithon987

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Vehicle owned:

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:38 PM

those are the 3 codes that i got after swappping the sensors :unsure: and how do i check the volts sorry not a mechanic i just borrow thier tools :rolleyes:

#13 Gar

Gar

• Members
  • 522 posts
  • Interests:I'm a nerd electronics engineer during the week, and a semi-pro entertainer by weekend. I own a sound company and do local and regional bands, plus a few old nationals a year in the standing audience market.. festivals, municipal, corporate. Learned to drive at 5, and double clutch at 7. Many VWs, buggies, a TR4, and then family cars.
  • Vehicle owned:
    95 V6 GL strangely modified

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:17 PM

If you don't have any experience at all with meters, then I guess I can't really help translate what you find, but you can certainly look at the sensor connector and follow the cable from it into the loom and see if it's been cooked.

I think you'll need the help of a local mechanic in either event. Sorry.

Gar