FordContour.Org

Air Intake

cmefly

Hey Forum! I have a 1997 LX V6 all original. Is it possible for me to replace the stock air cleaner system and install a K&N Air Intake set up? If so, any links as to what needs to be done? Thanks!

Guest KAOS_2.5M

you got quite a few options, first, you could get an SVT intake with K&N cone drop in, then theres the KKM short ram open element preferably with a heat shield, then there is a true cold air from Nautilus, and I've also seen some mazda 6 intakes adapted.

what sort of intake are you looking for and how much would you like to spend?

I like the cold air by Nautilus. I live in Rochester, NY where the winters are a bear. Would you recommend leaving the stock one in and just adding a K&N filter for the winter months and then put the cold air intake in after winter? I'm assuming it can't be difficult to install the cold air intake....right?

I like the cold air by Nautilus. I live in Rochester, NY where the winters are a bear. Would you recommend leaving the stock one in and just adding a K&N filter for the winter months and then put the cold air intake in after winter? I'm assuming it can't be difficult to install the cold air intake....right?

There isn't really a reason to take it off for the winter. Install isn't hard, but it does require some cutting and removing the front bumper I believe. Also be sure to at get a coated one or it'll rust like hell in a year since it just mild steel.

Guest KAOS_2.5M

I think he's worried about soaking the filter element. one of those water resistant filter covers would help with that, as well as making sure you have the under panel for the front (some don't) other than that, you should be ok long as you dont fill the bumper with snow driving like your on a rally circuit.

I'm personally using an SVT intake with K&N drop in, but with a hole hacked in the fender and some intake parts running from the intake cylinder out into the bumper just like the cold air, but with a stock look under the hood, and the filter removed from the way of water.

you could do the same, just takes a rubber/silicone elbow to mate to the SVT filter housing and turn toward the front after it exits the new hole in the fender, and then a piece of intake tubing to get to the cool air by the opening in the bumper.

either way you are going to need to cut out a circular opening in the inner part of the fender right around were your stock air box picks up from.

Dom (BuckeyeSVT) has a good true cold air intake here:

http://www.fordcontour.org/Engine-shots-t11228.html

Needle him for a How-To :)

If you don't have time (like me) or you're simply lazy (also like me :), a drop-in K&N should work.

We still don't have true dyno numbers to see how much it affects performance. From what I've read around, it makes the most difference at WOT, which is uncommon during regular driving.

Guest KAOS_2.5M
Dom (BuckeyeSVT) has a good true cold air intake here:

http://www.fordcontour.org/Engine-shots-t11228.html

Needle him for a How-To :)

If you don't have time (like me) or you're simply lazy (also like me :), a drop-in K&N should work.

We still don't have true dyno numbers to see how much it affects performance. From what I've read around, it makes the most difference at WOT, which is uncommon during regular driving.

"regular" drivers don't seek out message boards about automotive performance to waste their spare time on, now do they :drive1:

I don't have spare time...lol. However he makes a point that you don't drive at WOT all the time. The gains are normally only seen at WOT at higher RPM's. Which for city driving (unless you are one of these stoplight to stoplight drag assholes) is meaningless. A good drop in will give the best balance of price and performance without chopping the hell out of your car for the Nautilus CAI.

-Dom

I don't have spare time...lol. However he makes a point that you don't drive at WOT all the time. The gains are normally only seen at WOT at higher RPM's. Which for city driving (unless you are one of these stoplight to stoplight drag assholes) is meaningless. A good drop in will give the best balance of price and performance without chopping the hell out of your car for the Nautilus CAI.

-Dom

Cough........Cough refering to me B) LOL

Anyway, during my last dyno test we rigged up a cold air intake and pick up about 3 hp over the stock SE filter box with a KN drop in filter. The gain was in the top end.

Where in Rochester? I live in Penfield... I'm typically driving around in Penfield, Webster and Henrietta. You've probably seen me around.