Photo

P0125 Bad temp sensor.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 archsvile

archsvile

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Working on cars. Mainly my 99 Hyundai Tiburon... My contour is my backup car lol
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 Ford Contour SE

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:29 PM

Recently I keep getting the p0125 code which is a coolant temp sensor problem. http://www.obd-codes.com/p0125
Also my temp gauge inside my car is not working it just stays at one spot. So I'm pretty sure that coolant temp sensor went. My question is where is it at in my 98 contour se? I see there's one sensor near the engine that goes into the coolant hose that has two wires but someone said that's not the one. Also on rockauto.com theres a temp sender and a temp sensor I'm guessing its the temp sensor? Thanks for anyones help.

#2 MaddMike

MaddMike

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 Contour SE Sport V6

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:18 PM

Recently I keep getting the p0125 code which is a coolant temp sensor problem. http://www.obd-codes.com/p0125
Also my temp gauge inside my car is not working it just stays at one spot. So I'm pretty sure that coolant temp sensor went. My question is where is it at in my 98 contour se? I see there's one sensor near the engine that goes into the coolant hose that has two wires but someone said that's not the one. Also on rockauto.com theres a temp sender and a temp sensor I'm guessing its the temp sensor? Thanks for anyones help.

2.0 or 2.5? Any way you need to get your terminology right. The Temp Sensor is the one the feeds information to your computer, Temp sender is the one that feeds the temp gauge in the dash.

#3 archsvile

archsvile

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Working on cars. Mainly my 99 Hyundai Tiburon... My contour is my backup car lol
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 Ford Contour SE

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:08 PM

It's 2.0 zetec. But anyways im getting a check engine light for the coolant temp sensor (p0125) and also my gauge does not work on my dash. So maybe I should get both sensors (temp sender and temp sensor)? Just not actually sure where the sensors are located. Also would this make my heat take forever in my car to work?

Edited by archsvile, 07 December 2008 - 07:10 PM.

#4 MaddMike

MaddMike

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 Contour SE Sport V6

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:48 PM

It's 2.0 zetec. But anyways im getting a check engine light for the coolant temp sensor (p0125) and also my gauge does not work on my dash. So maybe I should get both sensors (temp sender and temp sensor)? Just not actually sure where the sensors are located. Also would this make my heat take forever in my car to work?

The heating problem is probably the Thermostat stuck open, that would throw the sensor off. With the gauge not working that could be the gauge it's self is bad or more likely the sender is bad.

#5 archsvile

archsvile

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 Ford Contour SE

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:29 AM

Is there a way to fix the thermostat? Should I just buy a new one? I'm not sure where it is even located? Any help would be appreciated. I dont think the gauge itself is bad because when the check engine light turns off the gauge works for a little while and I get heat so my guess is maybe the thermostat.

Edited by archsvile, 08 December 2008 - 12:35 AM.

#6 SVTDEMON

SVTDEMON

• Members
  • 1,840 posts
  • Interests:Live fast ,Die young,leave a good looking corpse! Culinary Arts, Military TMO Contacting, and fooling around!
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 SVT Contour

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:05 AM

Is there a way to fix the thermostat? Should I just buy a new one? I'm not sure where it is even located? Any help would be appreciated. I dont think the gauge itself is bad because when the check engine light turns off the gauge works for a little while and I get heat so my guess is maybe the thermostat.

If the thermo is not functional the car would be over heating.The thermo is quite easy to get at on a zetec.Do you have a book or cd?The easiest way to check to see if the thermostat is working is to boil it and see if it opens! B) They are only like 5.99 for the part plus coolant!It sounds to me like you have a bad sensor for the coolant and a bad sender unit! B)

#7 archsvile

archsvile

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 Ford Contour SE

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:37 AM

I'm going to replace the thermostat and see what happens. I have an idea where its at I've been searching on google. If that don't work I will replace the temp sensor and temp sender.

#8 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,583 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:20 AM

..the tep sensor for the EEC has two wires,the temp gauge has one.Both are located on/near the t/stat housing.

#9 archsvile

archsvile

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 Ford Contour SE

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:03 PM

I was looking for the temp sender today and I found it but it has two wires to it also. The temp sensor is on top I believe (on top of the t/stat housing) and the temp sender is on the bottom. I looked on rock auto and for the temp sender sensor there's two options to chose from.. which are 1 terminal and 2 termerminals. Im guessing that means if you have 1 wire or 2? I'm not sure so I wanted to check here to make sure?

#10 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,583 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:59 AM

...my oversight.You have a later model so both sensors/senders have two wires...

#11 Gar

Gar

• Members
  • 522 posts
  • Interests:I'm a nerd electronics engineer during the week, and a semi-pro entertainer by weekend. I own a sound company and do local and regional bands, plus a few old nationals a year in the standing audience market.. festivals, municipal, corporate. Learned to drive at 5, and double clutch at 7. Many VWs, buggies, a TR4, and then family cars.
  • Vehicle owned:
    95 V6 GL strangely modified

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:10 AM

I believe my son's sender (gauge) was ruined from an over-temp (thrown belt that he didn't stop for in spite of ALT light). If this is an indication of the vulerability of the unit, then I can accept that this may also be a cause for the sensor (engine) failure. Easy enough to change them both (your hand will hurt getting the gauge sender in), but I would suggest that you need to review what may have lead to all that steam where there should have been hot water. I'm suggesting that any sensor/sender faults are the aftermath of the repair you should be looking at, and not just sensor/sender.

Gar

Edited by Gar, 10 December 2008 - 09:13 AM.