#1 emdagosta

emdagosta

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    ford contour

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

98 ford contour auto sedan 2.0
I havent done a shoe change for over 20 years but from what i recall there should be a star to retract the shoes so that you can fit the drums back on the wheel.. well where the H is this and how come i cant find it?
the drum wont fit over the shoes the way it is and I cant seem to locate the star to retract them in to get the drum over them.
first off I know the shoes i got form autozone werent going to work cause they were the larger size so that was one day wasted and now i let another day pass thinking I would have them done today now i run into a problem finding the retracting star....
PLease help
thanx.
Linda D

Edited by emdagosta, 15 March 2009 - 01:53 PM.

#2 BuckeyeSVT

BuckeyeSVT

FCO Admin & Webmaster

• Admin
  • 6,221 posts
  • Interests:Contours of course..lol Engines, electronics, speed and anything else interesting enough to keep my attention.
  • Vehicle owned:
    2010 Taurus SHO 3.5EB
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Ford Contour SVT (1999)

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:58 PM

Linda,

The Contour rear brake system does not have a conventional star wheel to adjust the rear shoes. They have a square adjuster that has teeth on it that ramps up to adjust tension. There still is a rubber plug on the backing plate to get to it - You can use a normal screwdriver to make the adjustment to release the tension on the shoes.

-Dom

#3 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,631 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:38 AM

Rear drum brakes are self adjusting but need to be backed off manually to remove the drum and back to zero after new shoes fitted to get the drum back on.The Ford CD gives extensive info.Moral is be sure the auto adjust system is cean and working when you reassemble or the auto adjust will be ineffective and excessive pedal travel will result..

#4 emdagosta

emdagosta

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    ford contour

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:21 AM

Rear drum brakes are self adjusting but need to be backed off manually to remove the drum and back to zero after new shoes fitted to get the drum back on.The Ford CD gives extensive info.Moral is be sure the auto adjust system is cean and working when you reassemble or the auto adjust will be ineffective and excessive pedal travel will result..

there is nothing behind the rubber plug !! nothing ...just the brake shoe what is going on with this I am going to go to the 'U pull it' and see what they should look like cause this does not appear to be correct or something is missing.
The car ran fine and stopped fine but I can not seem to get the shoes to retract in any way shape or form and the cylinder popped out when i attempted to force brake fluid out in order to try to manually collapse the shoes only thing that happened was i lost brake fluid and the cylinder collapsed I had to re assemble it and it stays in place but there is now fluid on the shoes so i need to clean them up and retract them before i put this together I might just get another set from the 'u pull it' place for that side .. this is turning into a mess.. used to be much easier than this 20 years ago.. i dont have a ford cd.. got the car second hand 9 months ago...
would you care for a picture of the backing plate and whatis inside and behind the shoes?

Edited by emdagosta, 16 March 2009 - 10:23 AM.

#5 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,631 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:54 AM

..I can assure there is an auto adjuster behind the bung.You will not get the drums of unless the auto adjuster is backed off.Get a flashlight and look again,I'm sure you will see it.

#6 BuckeyeSVT

BuckeyeSVT

FCO Admin & Webmaster

• Admin
  • 6,221 posts
  • Interests:Contours of course..lol Engines, electronics, speed and anything else interesting enough to keep my attention.
  • Vehicle owned:
    2010 Taurus SHO 3.5EB
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Ford Contour SVT (1999)

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

The auto adjuster on the Contour is not round... It's square. I'll attach a picture, the adjuster is at the top of the hub right below the wheel cylinder. It sits between both shoes.

Posted Image

-Dom

#7 emdagosta

emdagosta

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    ford contour

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:51 PM

..I can assure there is an auto adjuster behind the bung.You will not get the drums of unless the auto adjuster is backed off.Get a flashlight and look again,I'm sure you will see it.

okay you are correct but the oblong slot where I am used to seeing the retracting star is not where it was found. It was found at the top of the backing plate, (obviously behind the brake adjustment lever, that was a toal brain fart on my part) and it is round and slightly bigger the the diameter of a pencil. and completely blended in with the oil grim color of the backing plate..amazing I got one side together and found a problem getting the other side to retract enough still to get the drum over it. I will attempt to tackle that tomorrow and hopefully we will be back on the road again ..
thank you for taking the time and patience to help me SEE the Little rubber plug to adjust these shoes..
LAD

#8 emdagosta

emdagosta

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    ford contour

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:33 PM

okay you are correct but the oblong slot where I am used to seeing the retracting star is not where it was found. It was found at the top of the backing plate, (obviously behind the brake adjustment lever, that was a toal brain fart on my part) and it is round and slightly bigger the the diameter of a pencil. and completely blended in with the oil grim color of the backing plate..amazing I got one side together and found a problem getting the other side to retract enough still to get the drum over it. I will attempt to tackle that tomorrow and hopefully we will be back on the road again ..
thank you for taking the time and patience to help me SEE the Little rubber plug to adjust these shoes..
LAD

The last picture is a standard diagram of most rear brake components

the first picture is a diagram of what mine looks like :

Attached Files

Edited by emdagosta, 16 March 2009 - 10:41 PM.

• likes this

#9 emdagosta

emdagosta

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    ford contour

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:53 PM

The auto adjuster on the Contour is not round... It's square. I'll attach a picture, the adjuster is at the top of the hub right below the wheel cylinder. It sits between both shoes.

Posted Image

-Dom

DOM,
maybe we are stating the same thing.

You are talking about the inside of the backing plate and I refering to the out side the backing plate.
I am talking about the round rubber plug located on the backing plate which is at the top behind the self adjusting brake drum bar on the other side of the backing plate where you take a screw driver or star adjuster and retract the shoes by turning the wheel one way or the other.

the hole which is there and covered by a small round rubber plug .but not the oblong rubber plug ,,Which I have no clue why they even have that there unless it is a univesal backing plate used on other cars.
but anyhow I got the one side done,, and almost had the other side done but I ran out of time , tomorrow she will be on the road again ...