4 replies to this topic

#1 RegD

RegD

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 Ford Contour SVT

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:08 PM

I have a 1998 Ford Contour SVT with a manual transmission. Yesterday the shifter stopped engaging 1st, 2nd and reverse. There is no grinding or resistance. I can move the shifter into the correct position but it just falls back into neutral. There's also a on and off issue with 5th gear. Sometimes it will engage and other times 3rd gear engages. My husband and I just bought the car and love it but it has been one problem after another. Are we going to have to put a new transmission in now?

Thanks.

#2 spridget

spridget

I eat fried rice.

• Moderators
  • 2,670 posts
  • Interests:driving fast
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 SVT

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

I think your problems are related to to the shift tower bolt failing. The transmission will need to be disassembled to remove the broken bolt.

Contact Terry Haines.

#3 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,591 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:09 AM

Lets not jump the gun here.Do any gears engage and let the car move? What you describe could be worn out shift cable ends that are at the transmission end of the shifter.Need to establish if the levers on the transmission are moving when the stick is moved.The 'bolt' in the trans can break but if it has broken in neutral then you will have no gears at all,none.They usually break 'in gear' and leave the trans stuck in that gear...More feedback/info if you can would help.

#4 RegD

RegD

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 Ford Contour SVT

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

Hi, i'm reg's husband. The car will actually shift into 3,4 and 5....the problem is shifting in to 1,2 and reverse. i can drive the car but have to begin in 3rd. Is there any other way of contacting you Terry? perhaps mobile phone or and instant messenger of some sort?

#5 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,591 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:19 PM

..use the e mail address in my sig.I'm out in a few but will be back later/early mornings..