FordContour.Org

cooling fans

96contourREDrocket

96 contour SE V6 duratec

At cold start..how long does it take for the fans to turn on? I recently changed the 60 amp fuse for the cooling fan, because it was blown. I started up the car again and let it idle for 30 min and nothing. The fans don't turn on. The fuse is still good. I also tried turning on the A/C and nothing. On another forum I've asked this same question and someone said that 30 min idle wont turn them on, so I idled it for about 45 min this time and still nothing. I've checked the resistor and it looks clean..no road crud. I've also tried spinning the fans manually. One of them spins without effort, but the other one on the drivers side is kinda tight. Do you guys think that might be the culprit? a bad motor? Temp sensor? Your thoughts are kindly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by 96contourREDrocket

Ok, first of all, check that the fans' motors are not rusted, I tell you this because mine was almost in fire 4 years ago, both of them got rust and were tight... no, they couldn't be moved. So, eventually they started to smoke, the blades started to melt and... I think that they would be on fire if I would continue to drive.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Well to single out the motor as the problem ,harwire it straight to the battery. No spin,equals bad motor,spin means there is another culprit. Let me know what you find.

• Like 2

Well to single out the motor as the problem ,harwire it straight to the battery. No spin,equals bad motor,spin means there is another culprit. Let me know what you find.

silly nu B question..how do you hotwire it to batt? there are many wires running around the fans.

Edited by 96contourREDrocket

low speed fan doesn't turn on until 212 degrees. get a obdII scanner that can monitor temperature and see what it reads.

Info

Both high and low speed modes of the fans operate via two relays in the battery junction box.

When on low speed with twin fans BOTH fans run at low speed ..not just one.

On high speed BOTH run at high speed..One fan is not low and the other high.

At low speed the current that is fed to BOTH fans is via the resistor in the circuit..

A single fan runs the same system...either direct 12 volts or via the resistor..Check the relays first.

• Like 2

silly nu B question..how do you hotwire it to batt? there are many wires running around the fans.

Try Terrys idea first. He did design the car after all.

• Like 1

... I've also tried spinning the fans manually. One of them spins without effort, but the other one on the drivers side is kinda tight. Do you guys think that might be the culprit? a bad motor?

There shouldn't be resistance when trying to turn the fan by hand. I'm guessing that motor is on it's way out, and could be the root of the problem.

..do you have power to the in side of the resistor when the engine is hot?

thanks for the reply Terry. I hear your da man in the forum......Well I was planning to multimeter it when I get home from work. Im asking family and friends if they have one of those to test resistance on the resistor. If it actually holds a circuit. Is there another way to test if it holds circuit without using a multimeter? There is some chance that friends wont have one and with this economy..I really dont want to buy one at this point.

..do you have power to the in side of the resistor when the engine is hot?

Terry..I tested it using my friends multimeter and it does not complete a circuit. I guess that capacitor or temp sensor looking thing is dead. I even put the probes on both ends and no juice flowing. That eliminates a bunch of other electrical issues pertaining to the fans. Thanks for the help guys. I heading to the dealer for a resistor.