10 replies to this topic

#1 upnorthguy

upnorthguy

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1995 Mystique V6

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:08 PM

OK, whose idea was it to put a crappy plastic drain plug in an unreachable spot on the radiator? How easy is it to find a new/replacement one? Can I drill this one out IF I can get a drill in there (my screwdriver completely stripped the head of the plug). Any ideas on how I can get the thing out?

I'm trying to replace my water pump so I thought I'd flush the system too.

Thanks again,
Greg in Alberta

#2 BrApple

BrApple

• Members
  • 1,518 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 Contour SeVT 3.0L Turbo

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:31 AM

first the plug is only plastic so why would you be using a drill on it? all you need is a long screw driver and you can get right in there. maybe use a little WD40 to lubricate the seal so that it will turn easier.

if your going to drain the system anyway just take the lower radiator hose off and drain the system ...

#3 99ContourLX

99ContourLX

• Moderators
  • 1,200 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 Contour LX (Zetec)

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

if your going to drain the system anyway just take the lower radiator hose off and drain the system ...

After my first battle with the stupid drain plug, I've been going the radiator hose route. Much easier.

Not only is the drain plug plastic but there's no room to use a regular screw-driver. I remember using one of those short screw-drivers.

Another thing I'd recommend is to replace the thermostat since you're going to drain the system anyway. (if you've never replaced it before.)
I remember replacing the coolant and after a while, the thermostat failed. I had to drain the system again.

#4 96contourREDrocket

96contourREDrocket

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1996 contour SE V6

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:38 PM

first the plug is only plastic so why would you be using a drill on it? all you need is a long screw driver and you can get right in there. maybe use a little WD40 to lubricate the seal so that it will turn easier.

Sorry for hijack'n this thread, but kind of similar to topic. I've been trying to take the lower hose off and failed to do so also. There are 2 lines coming from a cooler (i think) from the front towards the rear. One person told me they are power steering lines. Is that correct. There are no room to try and take the clip off that lower hose, so I thought pulling those lines off. Liquid poured out and thinking it was important looking fluid, I quickly plugged it back up. These two lines are in the way to access the lower hose. My question is: what are those lines for? Power steering? Ford had to put those kinds of shitty clamps on their cars. I too wanted to pull off the lower hose to drain. thanks in advance.

Edited by 96contourREDrocket, 19 April 2010 - 02:40 PM.

#5 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,583 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:15 PM

The two small line are the power steering cooler oil lines. If you use the correct type of spring clip pliers should have no problem..

#6 96contourREDrocket

96contourREDrocket

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1996 contour SE V6

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:01 AM

The two small line are the power steering cooler oil lines. If you use the correct type of spring clip pliers should have no problem..

Terry..can I pull those hoses off and let the fluid drain. It'll be easier to get to the hose and clip this way. All I have to do is refill the power steering res right? This is not another line for the power steering (sorry might sound like a nu b question). thanks

Edited by 96contourREDrocket, 21 April 2010 - 01:02 AM.

#7 BrApple

BrApple

• Members
  • 1,518 posts
  • Vehicle owned:

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:36 AM

Terry..can I pull those hoses off and let the fluid drain. It'll be easier to get to the hose and clip this way. All I have to do is refill the power steering res right? This is not another line for the power steering (sorry might sound like a nu b question). thanks

yes you can. a good way to drain the system for a refill is to dissconnect the lines and drain at the power steering cooler. just make sure you fill it back up before strating the car. chances are a fuild change wouldn't hurt anything anyway.

#8 SVTDEMON

SVTDEMON

• Members
  • 1,840 posts
  • Interests:Live fast ,Die young,leave a good looking corpse! Culinary Arts, Military TMO Contacting, and fooling around!
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 SVT Contour

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:12 AM

yes you can. a good way to drain the system for a refill is to dissconnect the lines and drain at the power steering cooler. just make sure you fill it back up before strating the car. chances are a fuild change wouldn't hurt anything anyway.

AGREED! :gathering:

#9 99ContourLX

99ContourLX

• Moderators
  • 1,200 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 Contour LX (Zetec)

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:30 AM

If you're going to do this anyway, may as well replace the fluid for the power-steering.
I had replaced mine a couple of years ago with Mobil1 Synthetic ATF as per Terry's recommendation. Works like a charm.
Mobil1's site also states that their Synthetic ATF can be used as power steering fluid.

#10 BrApple

BrApple

• Members
  • 1,518 posts
  • Vehicle owned:

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:40 PM

If you're going to do this anyway, may as well replace the fluid for the power-steering.
I had replaced mine a couple of years ago with Mobil1 Synthetic ATF as per Terry's recommendation. Works like a charm.
Mobil1's site also states that their Synthetic ATF can be used as power steering fluid.

yeah, I would take that as a given. I too use Mobil1 Synthetic ATF. iirc, 96 and on the spec was ATF. where as the 95 was TypeF transmission fluid. unless there was a typo in my owners manual. some have also just used powersteering fluid.

#11 SVTDEMON

SVTDEMON

• Members
  • 1,840 posts
  • Interests:Live fast ,Die young,leave a good looking corpse! Culinary Arts, Military TMO Contacting, and fooling around!
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 SVT Contour

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:48 PM

Thanks I learned a new trick!