1 reply to this topic

#1 graylady

graylady

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 Mercury Mystique

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:53 PM

I bought a very clean v6 1998 Mercury Mystique with 83k miles. A broken rod locked the engine so I replaced it with a 2.5L from a Cougar. Every connector had exposed wires so I also changed the harness. I did not touch the pcm.

With everything installed and plugged in, I am stumped. The 20A EEC fuse blows when the key is turned to on. The starter does not crank. You can hear the fuel pump prime before you turn the key to the on position.

Where should I look next. All connections are snug. No exposed wires.

Thanks for any input!!

#2 CrewChiefPro

CrewChiefPro

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Software design and development. Drag Racing, Basketball
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 SVT 3.0 Turbo Contour

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:18 PM

I bought a very clean v6 1998 Mercury Mystique with 83k miles. A broken rod locked the engine so I replaced it with a 2.5L from a Cougar. Every connector had exposed wires so I also changed the harness. I did not touch the pcm.

With everything installed and plugged in, I am stumped. The 20A EEC fuse blows when the key is turned to on. The starter does not crank. You can hear the fuel pump prime before you turn the key to the on position.

Where should I look next. All connections are snug. No exposed wires.

Thanks for any input!!

Vehicle Speed Sensor wiring caused the same thing on our car. We only found it because I made a self resetting relay and plugged it into the fuse holder instead of a fuse. When the wiring started to smoke I was able to find it. This is not for the faint at heart but we already spent many hours trying to figure it out.