#1 crocker_dave

crocker_dave

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    2000 Contour SE V6

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

Howdy!

I am in need of some help in diagnosing a significant vibration problem in my Contour. Its a '00 with 90k mi and auto trans. Here's a list of what i've done in an attempt to stop the vibration...I have had all of the wheels balanced twice (at different shops) and last week I had the struts replaced (all 4). Also, I have the tires rotated every 7k mi or so. From reading on this site and elsewhere on the net, I think I may need to fill/replace the roll resistors and/or inspect/replace the trans mount on the pass side? Other than that, my dad said that "the tire could have thrown a belt". I can feel the vibration in the steering wheel, cups rattle in the cupholder, bags of groceries wiggle in the passenger seat...its very noticable & annoying!

The vibrations seems to start around 55 mph and get worse the faster I go. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Edited by crocker_dave, 03 January 2012 - 03:39 PM.

#2 BuckeyeSVT

BuckeyeSVT

FCO Admin & Webmaster

• Admin
  • 6,221 posts
  • Interests:Contours of course..lol Engines, electronics, speed and anything else interesting enough to keep my attention.
  • Vehicle owned:
    2010 Taurus SHO 3.5EB
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Ford Contour SVT (1999)

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:24 PM

Road force balancing the tires will show you if you have a bad tire. Axles can cause vibrations as well ( however I don't advocate running out and replacing them - just check ).

-Dom

(null)

#3 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,616 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:33 AM

..check the roll restrictors but also check the main trans mount that bolts on top of the trans to the inner fender.This mount has a habit of 'dropping' when badly worn and lets the trans case sit on the fron subframe.You can check this under the drivers side wheel well to see if the case bottom is touching the subframe, seen this a few times and it will cause vibes and knocks as the case bounce on the subframe...

#4 crocker_dave

crocker_dave

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    2000 Contour SE V6

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

Thanks guys! I'll check it out this weekend and report back next week.

#5 Delores

Delores

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1995 Contour GL 2.0 ZETEC

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

And check to see if the tires are 'cupped' - run your hand in one direction then the other to feel raised tread (cupping). Replace tires.
Inspect shocks/struts for leaks or if worn.

#6 Enduro

Enduro

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    96 Contour V6 MTX

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

Thought I'd update this as I'm having the same problems. I had bad vibration problems all last summer. I replaced both control arms and got an alignment. I've had 3 different sets of wheels installed - still shakes . Bought new tires and had them balanced at two different shops - no change..

The car doesn't vibrate if I'm coasting in gear around 55 mph , but if I I accelerate it shakes like crazy. The struts and mounts were replaced 2 years ago (BAT Euro handling package)

I've also had the transmission rebuilt this fall, a Torsen installed and the drivers side axle replaced, the roll resistor is still in good condition.

98 SVT

Edited by Enduro, 05 February 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#7 crocker_dave

crocker_dave

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    2000 Contour SE V6

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

Update: I checked the the main trans mount that bolts on top of the trans to the inner fender like Terry suggested and it does appear to be drooping and hopefully will be the source of the vibration problem. I ordered the part online and was hoping someone could point me towards a 'how-to' on replacing the main trans mount that bolts on top of the trans to the inner fender. If there isn't a how-to, would you mind giving me some pointers on replacing it? Thanks in advance!!

#8 riverwolfe

riverwolfe

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    2000 Ford Contour SE V6

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

keep us updated, I've got a 2000 SE V-6 with 84k.

#9 Enduro

Enduro

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    96 Contour V6 MTX

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

Shaking problem fixed finally :thumbs: . The problem turned out to be the right side CV axle. At this stage I had replaced pretty much every other part on the front of the car. tried numerous different sets of wheels... etc. I doubted the axle could be the problem , especially since the transmission had been rebuilt back in October . But, it became increasingly obvious the axle was the problem. The car would shake badly when accellerating starting at about 50 mph and higher but would stop if I coasted in neutral. Now if i can just get my imrc working and my P1151/P0155 problem solved... :cc_confused: