FordContour.Org

Rear noise under car, suspension?

Ourobos

I have a 1999 Contour SVT. Just got it up and running like a top, alot thanks to you guys. I have a few more things to do before I put it back on the road. The main thing now is the noise it makes from somewhere in the rear of the car. Any small bump, even just driving it around my hard, makes a bunch of noice, clunking sort of. Almost sounds like the struts bottoming out? I did notice this has rear coil overs, is that factory? I check all the bushings I could find, all seemed OK by looking at them, even greased everything up that I could, to no avail.. What is a common item to fail on these, or what specifically can I check to resolve this. I am going to post some pics, point out to me what you're talking about, as I'm used to looking at Mustang 4 link suspension, and all this 'trailing arm' etc is new stuff to me.

Thanks!

suspension1.JPG

suspension2.JPG

suspension3.JPG

suspension4.JPG

suspension5.JPG

i know the sound you speak of. its the strut tops. i replaced the rear struts on my contour along with the strut tops and the sound went away.

The coil overs are aftermarket.

Common failures in the rear suspension are the sway bar links (rubber dry rots) and sway bar mounts (rust and snap).

From your pictures, the rust looks minor, but inspect the mounts anyway. The sway bar link is cracked up and probably needs replacement on both sides.

I would pull the coil overs and inspect them very closely.

If the noise is occurring while hitting bumps, I would suspect those after market coilovers. Check for any leaks, any small amount of fluid leaking it has lost hydraulic pressure and are bad.

Check the sway bars first, mainly the little metal clips holding it on :)

You guys are right. I was pretty tired when i made that post lol. I had blown struts and the mounts were bad as well. When I replaced them, I felt the car's handling around corners change along with that noise going away.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK.. Took it to a suspension shop to diagnose it.. Said a rear "parallel arm" on passenger side is bent.. Runs from center over to the wheel. What are they talking about? Is that the rear A-arm? Also had a siezed rear driver side strut in the rear, and loose passenger side strut in the front.. I'll be fixing all those, once I know what a 'parallel arm' is. I assume in my 4th picture, is the bent/arced piece towards the top. Ideas?

Once I fix it, they can do a 4 wheel alignment.

Edited by Ourobos

Well these clowns don't know what they are talking about. The front strut was as tight as can be. No bounce when you try to bounce the car. The rear moves in and out fine too, not siezed. Some shops / business today don't deserve to be in business. Back to the search.

Yes, the rear control arm appears bent. I dismissed it at first glance as image warp from the camera lens.

Inspect the front strut mounts. This is a very common failure. The mounts collapse with age. Raise the hood with the car on level ground. Check for excessive gap between the black rubberized "puck" (center of the strut tower) and the strut tower. Ideally there should be no gap. If there is some gap, you can confirm the failure by raising that wheel off the ground, remove the wheel, then check for play in the strut, (in/out, fore/aft, up/down). Suspended, there may be too much weight to assess play. Use a jack to lightly push up on the lower control arm without actually raising the vehicle off the jack stand. Once you see the gap reappear, check for play again. Basically though, if there is any gap over 1/8 inch, it's too much and the mount has failed.

I'd guess the rear subframe or at least the left rear control arm was replaced with a salvaged part in the past based on the grease pen scribble.

Thing is, with the rear coil overs, you can get out of the car and push the left rear side up and down, and it moves as it should, nice and smoothly, but there is an audible 'clunk' every time it comes back up.

From underneath the rear subframe, inspect the sway bar links. The lower rubber bushing may have cracked and fallen out. The top bushing is easy to see, but the lower bushing is recessed. This happened in my friend's '98 CSVT. Same symptoms as you describe.

Looking at your photos again... the bushings are obviously cracked up... can't quite see the bottom, but they look very compressed and worn out.

Correct.  They said the bushings are shot, nice call.  Wonder if the CSTV / Contour bushings will work on mine, and if anyone sells just those?

Otherwise :

Eliteman - possibly complete rear shocks springs etc.  Apparently my back ARE bad.. Can anyone tell from pic #5 what I have? They say SVT on the stickers, but are coil overs..

Edited by Ourobos

Well paid, $702 today for a battery, alignment, front spindles and bearings installed.. Still have the clunking in the back.  They say my left rear strut needs to be replaced, although it seems to move fine.  Also the spring isolators are bad causing the noise, dunno if the stock isolators would work with these, even if I can find them.

One more.. Do you know if the SVT strut/spring setup is different than the standard contour?

The struts/springs are SVT specific.

Can anyone tell by my pics (4th one probably), what isolators I need?  Will a stock isolator fit the top of these stock struts that have coil overs on them?

I have not serviced modified struts, but from the pics it appears they use stock mounts. If 95-00 Contour parts are not available, 99-02 Cougar parts work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...