3 replies to this topic

#1 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    2000 Ford Contour SE

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

So I have a 2000 Contour SE 4cyl and I was on my way back to college last weekend driving down the highway about 70mph or so and it overheats then dies with a bit of smoke coming out from under the hood. Come to find out my coolant had all leaked out during the trip from somewhere around the thermostat (I think) and my timing belt is broken. I sent it in to a shop nearby and get the call today informing me of this so here's my question: its a 2000 and as far as I know the engine is non-interference so is there a chance its just a timing belt fix and some repair around the thermostat housing? The people at the shop told me they would put a timing belt on it for $500-$800 and THEN tell me if there was anything else wrong with it after that but I don't have a ton of money to throw at it sadly.

If anyone has had a timing belt break while driving I would appreciate any advice :)

Edited by Nathaniel, 19 January 2013 - 08:47 PM.

#2 BuckeyeSVT

BuckeyeSVT

FCO Admin & Webmaster

• Admin
  • 6,221 posts
  • Interests:Contours of course..lol Engines, electronics, speed and anything else interesting enough to keep my attention.
  • Vehicle owned:
    2010 Taurus SHO 3.5EB
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Ford Contour SVT (1999)

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

Here's the rub. If the engine overheated bad, chances are you blew the headgasket. This means the engine will overheat from this point on no matter what you do. I've seen it plenty of times, and the timing belt is your least concern right now. I think once they diagnose it, they'll find that it has more issues than a broken thermostat housing and timing belt.

-Dom

#3 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,512 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

...also,I think on your year of Zetec the water pump is driven by the timing belt so the two are linked..

#4 Rubystargoats

Rubystargoats

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, boating sports, fire arms, Diesel Pickup trucks and maybe my daughters goats?
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 Contour GL I4

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Does seem a little strange that both would happen concurrent unless the engine overheated enough to cause the cams to bind or sieze the waterpump. Either of those could then cause the belt to break.  If the belt broke first the engine would not run to cause over heat.  How much do you trust the shop?  Where are you located? how many miles are on the car and what transmission?

Edited by Rubystargoats, 06 February 2013 - 12:07 PM.