FordContour.Org

Engine Replacement Meet 8/1/15

Aussie Ford

BTW THE ENGINE CHANGE OUT PARTY WILL BE 8/15/15 AROUND 9AM AT AUSSIE FORD'S..... ALL ARE WELCOME

I'll get one of those T-stats I had forgotten about that mod since my current one rides in the normal zone ok. The housing is in great shape I just took it off last evening since I'm going to pull the intake manifold. I just don't like the look of this one even though it is very clean and nice inside. I found a place on the bottom corner that was scraped and a bent screw and possible slight ding in it. What ever is screwed on to the back side of that was broken off and I'm just not going to take a chance on it because I have another one handy. After all it is plastic.

Sensors is another item that needs to get attention several like crank sensor was broken off (Sensor 2 pic) and in (Sensor 1 pic) I don't know exactly what these two are. One must be oil pressure I haven't figured out the other yet. As for the temp sensors I'll keep both of them since the one on the other engine may have a problem when cold. Seems to work fine when warmed up.

That tensioner spring you mentioned I put it on my other Z when I did the TB but I didn't see a spot for it on this one. As I recall there was a hole to put the bolt into, but your right you don't need it and it is just another thing in there that could cause a problem.

Serpentine belt for sure and I'm going to see if I can get RR's from Bat inc. If I can't Bill do you have a source?

Oh ya with the install delay and a can of high temp paint, well you can see what happened........ this is just for the install since once it is in place you can see how much shows..... LOL but when I change the oil I'll sure know if there is a leak anyplace. I am considering doing the valve cover it is such a cheery color for an engine bay don't you think....

Regards,

AF

Sensor 1.jpg

Sensor 2.jpg

IMG_1606.JPG

IMG_1608.JPG

I'm in! I'll bring my grill and gas. Do I need utensils as well? How about a table to set it on?

What's the goal for Saturday? Engine and trans bolted in or a fully running car?

Yes old out and new in.

The plan is to separate the engine and trans so it stays in place. I'm doing some pre work so everything can go smooth.

Once out we have to swap some parts over and then it just drops in with no issues.

Hook up the wiring and go for a test drive..... drink adult beverages & eat till we can't move.

Shotwell are you up to a test drive in a 95? .... you can drive

Simple right ....... what could go wrong........ I changed the PCV valve 

I am finding there are many parts that are not available for this car / engine.

And I have tables..... but you should bring the utensils for PDX to use.

Regards,

AF

IMG_1628.JPG

IMG_1629.JPG

IMG_1632.JPG

Sounds like a plan...grill and utensils.

I'll totally drive your '95. Won't even get a ticket ;-)

I think if you have all the parts / oils / filters / gaskets / hoses etc, we'll be able to do the swap in the course of the day. 

See you Saturday morning! Let me know if you need me to bring any tools, engine hoist, engine stand, big diesel truck (think you have that covered)

AF - Have you thought about removing the PCV valve housing all together and use a block-off plate? Common in UK for the Zetec's in the Chapman's and other vehicles.

Your oil? I am missing something?

Block-off at the block. See the following for explanation - http://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-pages/engine-breather-system.html

In our case, the PCV is a PIA to access, for regular maintenance. I think an oil "Catch Can" would make more sense. See the following: http://www.jayracing.com/crankcase-ventilation-c-8_11/

I somehow missed these post # 5....I caught the "train delay". Froze at that point ;-(

Bi-Mart - Sale on Mobile 1 synthetic and a teriific rebate lower total price to $13.99 for 5 qt container!! http://www.bimartadpro.com/adcenter/081315insert/

OK, as of 3pm Saturday, I counted 7 in attendance. Friends abound!! Engine out. Lunch from the grill (thanks PDXSVT) was "over the top". Progress update forthcoming, as well as famous AF pics!!!

GREAT TIME had by all.

UPDATE - I spoke to AF about 5 hours ago - replacement Zetec is installed, just hours away from "start time". Asundry items being bolted in.

Thanks for those posting Mondeoman I've been a bit busy......

And thanks to all you Tourites that came to help out the old guy:

Mondeoman

Shotwell & son Ryan

Groovenerd

PDXSVT

Siberian Ford & son Carter

And others:

Mrs Aussie Ford

Rob Teague

Neighbor Mickey

And of course our overall Supervisor Chloe

I had for several days been gathering parts and had great intentions on getting a lot of prep work completed. It just seems like life kept getting in the way so I did not complete all of my tasks that I wanted to have done ..... sound familiar, so on Sat morning when Rob showed up as I was finishing putting up an awning so the black helicopters couldn't see what was going on at the Secret Contour Lab.... and to keep the sun off of us, then we got started hot and heavy in getting minor things disconnected. Then when Mondeoman arrived we really started to get the situation under control. Next Groovenerd arrived then Shotwell & son, Mike was having one of those days with his day job but when he arrived PDXSVT got started with the grub and Shotwell & Ryan got busy with the rest of us.

Soon we were hooking up the engine and getting it out of the car. You know there is a lot of little items that need to be disconnected to make that happen. One thing we didn't count on was spilling ATF fluid when the torque converter decided to move out a bit too far. Oh well.

PDXSVT did an exceptional job on the grill and we ate all the burgers and brats we couldn't move. Mrs AF did well getting all the grub together for us.

Next came the swapping of parts and the completion of the new engine. Including that knock sensor which is discontinued. Of course the flex plate was bent on the new motor so when we move the engine from the stand to the hoist we had to swap that too. Once everything was ready we slowly move it to the hole and lowered it down and in a short time we had a torque converter nut on the stud and a transmission bolt in place.

We messed with it till about 9:30p put the hood on, and called it a day then told stories and had adult beverages for another hour or so.

On Sunday Siberian Ford & my grandson Carter arrived and I promptly put him to connecting up the EGR. After which he torqued the engine mount. We had to leave the line from the EGR to the preCAT in place because I couldn't get it lose from the preCAT even after soaking it in PB Blaster for a week and heating the bung with a torch. Nothing could get it to budge. Fortunately there was a work around.

We installed the starter, fuel system, alternator, power steering, cooling system, and stuff.

Now all that's left is to put in the oil & filter, air intake, and the stupid little vacuum line for the power brake booster. That is a bear to get in just the right place and I missed it in all of my pics of the engine.

It has been a great adventure so far.

More to come

AF

IMG_1649.JPG

IMG_1651.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG

IMG_1659.JPG

IMG_1665.JPG

IMG_1666.JPG

Last evening I finished all the miscellaneous stuff with the help of PDXSVT who just happened to stop by at the right time to help me put the vacuum hose in that goes from the brake booster to the intake manifold. That is not an easy thing to get stuffed in between all the hoses and lines in that area.

Lastly it was putting on the intake air hose and related stuff, oil filter & oil, and coolant.

Turned the key and it cranked and cranked and cranked but nothing happened.

Darn back to basics....... does it have spark - yes

Does it have fuel - no!  I can hear the pump working.. so I move the air horn and get to the Schrader valve on the fuel line put a rag under it and open the valve. Fuel dribbles out a little, I turn the key again and it starts to fire. I bleed the system again and bit more fuel comes out this time. Turn the key again and it fires right up. It runs a bit rough for a few minutes but smooths out finally.

IT LIVES!

I still need to add some tranny fluid for the bit we spilled but I can't wait to get it on the road. Neither can Chloe who has at times been under the car with me, and let me say it can get a bit crowded under there. And you haven't lived until you experience a wet nose in the ear while you are trying to reach that stubborn bolt up there where you can barely squeeze your hand through all of the other stuff in the way.

Now, while I have it up on jack stands I'm changing my parking brake cables this evening.

More to come.

AF

PS: did anyone happen to notice Chloe had her nails done for the occasion? By the way if you are not the right person I wouldn't recommend trying to pick up that starter. LOL

IMG_1658.JPG

Excellent! Thanks for the update and the pics!

Chloe did a good job guarding that starter. Just think if that would have walked off...;-)

Well Folks, I have been driving this car around for several days now and I declare this project complete. It is running as smooth and strong as you could expect a low mileage engine to run.  That is after I got my vacuum lines straightened out. You'd be surprised how messed up an engine can run when you have a couple in the wrong place. (maybe not)

Then as I was going to paint the valve cover yellow since all of the paint I did is hidden, but on Saturday I was at Pic N Pull and found this nicely done cover and thought that someone had put a lot of work in it and it didn't deserve to end up at the crusher. 

So here is the final result.

Thanks everyone for your help and support during this little project. It is always fun to get together. Let's do a V6 next time.

Regards,

AF  

IMG_1806.JPG

IMG_1807.JPG

Mike still has an OK V6 needing a heads swap to do first.

And about doing a V6 engine swap, I need more financial pieces to fall into place before I'd start looking for a replacement 3L engine, and the flawed flywheel insert should be changed too. 

AF, congrats on completing your project!

• 4 weeks later...