FordContour.Org

Oil burning Mystique

My '99 Mystique with 2.5 liter V-6 has an awful smell of burning oil immediately after starting the engine, which begins half way out of the garage.

Checked all fluids (oil, ATF, brake) and all at max level.

There is a tiny oil drip from the middle of the engine and I mean TINY, as in a drop possible two in a month.

If this is a common oil leak on the manifold, I would think the smell would take a few minutes for the manifold to heat up, but that is not the case.

Checking out the engine there is only the slightest hint of this burning smell, but nothing to see from above.

Took the car to the Ford dealer who said, "At best you have a small oil leak. We smell the odor big time, but we think it is a plastic bag that got wrapped around your catalytic converter."

Well that was over a year ago, so any plastic bag would have burnt off ages ago.

Whatever it is gets sucked into the A/C intakes in a major way.

After a short trip, park the car in the garage and close the door.... come back 15 minutes later and the smell will knock you against the wall.

Solving issues like this over the internet is next to impossible.... I know that, but if there are any suggestions of where I might look for the source of the odor I sure would appreciate it.  

Just got my A/C repaired and good God, does it ever blow COLD now!!! It would be nice if this cold air didn't smell like I was tailgating a diesel bus.

Jeff

A couple areas are prone to develop leaks. Cam covers and front main seal are most likely. Minor seepage may drip onto the exhaust which runs around the passenger side of the engine. Fresh air is drawn into the hvac system at the base of the windshield on the passenger side.

You might also check the exhaust gaskets between the y-pipe and cat-back section. Mine had a minor leak which caused an exhaust smell in the cabin at startup.

I am taking a week off, so I have the time to check this out.

Thank you for the tips!

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard about an oil leak from the head gasket at the passenger side corner on the fire wall side which runs down onto the exhaust. Seems it develops from where the oil gallery goes through the head and it is close to the edge. Check along there.

Let us know what you find.

Regards,

AF

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.