FordContour.Org

lifted Contour

900Contour

I was mistaken, it has 174,600 miles. I put 155k in an earlier post. I didn't realize I had put that much on it. It had 145k when I bought it 3 years ago. I was dating someone an hour north in Marion those first two years and drove up there 2 or 3 times a week. Now its only driven about 3 times a month. I think its in such good condition because its all highway miles, no stop and go. Also I'm the first owner not keeping it in a garage.

All I can think of now is how old the tires are.  I had to buy a set last year and I have to by another set  by the end of the year because I just don't like going over six years.   Any CEL codes?

What is the deal with the two horns side-by-side?  I know these models lacked the two-tone horns of the first generation, but it still has the mount by the window wash fluid reservoir on the passenger side.  I've thought about putting one on my girlfirend's 2000 Contour and running a wire along the sub-frame.  I even had a spare, but ended up putting it on my blue Mystique due to the original being rusted up and non-functional.

I also was wondering how you activate the fog lights.  It looks like the correct harness connectors by the horns, but the switch doesn't have the "pull" feature on the headlight knob like the earlier Mystiques and later Cougars.  Is it the button above the headlight switch?  I have a set of the early round fog lights, but their mounting and adjusting hardware is a lot rusty and I don't know if it changed for the second generation.

Overall there doesn't seem to be much rust.  The flange connection of the muffler completely dis-integrated on my blue one, as well as many of those sheet metal "nuts" that hold the heat shields.

I can't find any rust on this car.

Was in the junk yard and walked by a Cadillac someone had already bought the bumper cover off of. There was these two horns on a single mount. I remembered reading that Cadillac's have all the high and low note horns. So its on my car now. There loud and sound like a big car, lol.

I built a whole new harness for the fog lights. If I come across the factory fog headlight switch, I'll rewire them. But for now the relay is triggered by the parking lights.

I was a little concerned there may be holes drilled in the dash somewhere.  Wiring to the parking lights is ingenious.  I had to remove a lot of aftermarket "security" and "audio" junk from my Chicago car's previous owners.  I'm glad you've kept your installations clean.  Then what is the button above the headlight switch?  Traction control?  I hadn't even asked if there was ABS.  I've never had to deal with it.  One of the Chicago cars had it but it never worked and I have everything needed to replace it with regular brakes.

Edited by giganto

There is a button for rear defrost above the headlight switch. There is a blank beside it for an option mine doesn't have.

I guess mine has anti lock brakes because it has wheel speed sensors. But they after a deer crossed in front of me one night, I discovered all four wheels did lock up. The rear brakes were in terrible shape when I bought it. Both cylinders leaking, shoes soaked in brake fluid, everything covered in greasy grime including the speed sensors. I cleaned everything, replaced cylinders, shoes, springs and cleaned the drums. I hoped cleaning the speed sensors would fix anti lock, but even if that was the cause, I think it has to be on diagnostic to clear codes and reset anti lock system. I figured on a 16 year old car it would be a long shot to have working anti lock brakes again. I put new pads and rotors on front also, so it stops better than our four wheel disc Freestar.

• 2 weeks later...

My six month insurance premium for the Contour and our Freestar comes due in March.

Money is very tight and it doesn't seem I can afford both vehicles since I may stop driving soon.

I'm 43 and have dealt with a neuromuscular disease for 20 years now. My body is telling me that I'm entering the next stage.

If anyone is interested in a good clean 99 Contour LS, 4cyl, automatic.

White outside. Gray cloth. Inside looks like a new car.

A/C works great. Brakes all new. Has Sony 55w x 4 stereo, Kenwood speakers. Bluetooth hands free voice and text with smartphone. Alternator replaced 2 years ago. Plugs, wires, and coil pack replaced last summer. I change oil and filter every 3,500 miles. 25% window tint all 4 doors, back glass, and top of windshield.

I think it has around 155k miles. I'll have to go look again.

How much should I ask for it?

I would check craigslist and see what other cars are selling for in your area. That is usually the best way to gauge the local market. 

I live in such a rural area, there aren't any Contours in classifieds near me.

I'm really torn. I love this car, its so nice. I dont even think of it being a 99 model.

It looks so clean and shinny new. A/C works, all pwr windows & locks work, all switches and knobs work. All the door switch backlights work. The stereo sounds awesome.

$1,800 was mention. I think I'll advertise it for $2,000, but take $1,800.

If I keep it, this is my next upgrade. I bought this one off eBay to put on our Freestar. I couldn't be happier with it. 4.3" monitor in the mirror. The mirror looks just like OEM Gentex mirror.

post-18091-0-72737800-1457424937_thumb.jpg

post-18091-0-73367500-1457424997_thumb.jpg

Just the other day I was thinking of how to put a "dash" cam in front of  the rear-view mirror.  I wonder if anyone makes something that combines these two functions into one installation.   My mother seems to have an itch to get another new car, but maybe I can just upgrade her old Camry.

If I keep it, this is my next upgrade. I bought this one off eBay to put on our Freestar. I couldn't be happier with it. 4.3" monitor in the mirror. The mirror looks just like OEM Gentex mirror.

Just keep it  :idea:  :please:

Just the other day I was thinking of how to put a "dash" cam in front of  the rear-view mirror.  I wonder if anyone makes something that combines these two functions into one installation.   My mother seems to have an itch to get another new car, but maybe I can just upgrade her old Camry.

The same company I bought that one from has several versions of the mirror.

Mine is basic, no auto dim, only hidden 4.3" monitor. It has two RCA video inputs, one is turned on by reverse lamps and pressing pwr button switches.

They have monitor mirrors with Bluetooth and shows caller id in the screen.

They have ones with built in forward facing HD camera and DVR built in.

All on eBay. Several different sellers, but all from same Chinese factory.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Rear-View-Mirror-Monitor-Car-DVR-Camera-Dash-Video-Recorder-1080P-32GB-Card-Free-/391368311376?nav=SEARCH

This one has front facing camera, buy it says 170degree angle fisheye lens. Not sure if you want fisheye for dash cam. There are other models on eBay. Compare several, I paid $99 plus $24 shipping for mine. But same seller had same mirror for $175 w free ship, $45 w $100 shipping.

Mine came with back up radar, but now those are double price.

• 2 months later...

Are you still looking for a power seat base?  I'm headed to Pick-n-Pull in Virginia Beach this afternoon and will check to see if they have any with power seats.