Photo

Over heating only in traffic (no problem on interstate)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cmk033

cmk033

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    95 Contour LX 2.0

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:25 PM

My son in Toledo, Ohio is having the problem and I think it is fan not getting turned on. I wish I was there to help him out but not the case.

I am guessing, may be with problematic harness of this Contour may be the problem. If so, this will be a common problem for others. I am trying to see if anyone has experienced same problem.

If a wire is stripped and is touching the body anywhere, may be fuse would be out.

Any lead would be greatly appreciated in helping out my son, remotely. Thanks in advance.

#2 SVTDEMON

SVTDEMON

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • Interests:Live fast ,Die young,leave a good looking corpse! Culinary Arts, Military TMO Contacting, and fooling around!
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 SVT Contour

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:59 PM

Belt snapped? Bad ground,blown fuse.  Could be alot of things need to be more specific. 

Harness will usually give you alot of problems but usually with the O2s and operation of engine. 

If you want I can dig out my factory books and give you the trouble shooting run down? 

#3 2000SVTC

2000SVTC

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    2000 SVT Contour

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:13 PM

IIRC fans ground at the crossmember at top or side of radiator.  Another idea might be to try running A/C, if the issue is a temp sensor or temp sensor wiring it might be possible to force the fans to run by running A/C.

#4 cmk033

cmk033

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    95 Contour LX 2.0

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

Here is an update....

My son, took the car to a local Ford dealer for the fix and they charge $100 diagnostic fee and did nothing to fix the problem. It appears that there is a electrical short due to brittle wire which is causing the COOLING FAN TO NOT RUN. Fan has not been running for a while as there are rust signs on the fan itself to show that. I guess the car could run without the cooling fan as long as you are not in traffic.

They could not find exactly where the short is and since it is the general area where car body work has been worked on, they are not going to continue with the repair. As a result, my son paid $100 to the dealer and picked up the car.

Dealer, however, suggested to install a manual switch to turn on/off the fan and use the car that way. I am not sure if that is the best solution nor the only solution.

This sort of problem, I am sure is not an isolated problem as I know the wiring for this vehicle is a problem. If anyone has experience the same problem and found a genius solution, it would help me and may be other owner of this vehicle who is struggle to keep it alive. Thanks in advance for your reply.

#5 2000SVTC

2000SVTC

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    2000 SVT Contour

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:56 PM

Sadly, many Contours (I think more of the early ones than the later ones, could be wrong) have badly deteriorating wiring, especially around the engine.  If the problem is widespread (lots of failing wires) it may be difficult to keep the car alive.  If it's just a few wires, or if you just have a pinched wire, you ought to be able to keep going.  I had the engine out of my car a few years ago and found one wire totally crumbling and everything else good.  Replaced that one sensor and all is good 30k miles later.

A Ford dealer is probably not the place to get this fixed, they are pricey and I'm sure are told to not get creative.  You need to find a good independent shop, maybe one specializing in electrical stuff.

Wiring in a manual switch is not elegant but it may be a decent practical solution if the driver is paying attention, as it seems like your son is.  It should be pretty quick and easy which is the virtue.  Obviously fixing the actual wiring flaw would be better but may burn up a lot of labor if you have to pay to get it done.