spridget

I eat fried rice.

• Moderators
  • 2,774 posts
  • Interests:driving fast
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 SVT

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:04 AM

Hi! I haven't been around in a while. I was driving my '99 SVTC 3.0L as my daily for the last year. I had sold (regrettably) my '05 C230 and put the Contour back on the road. It was under 100k miles but now sits at about 110k, considering I was commuting about 500-600 miles a week. However, it is parked once again. We bought my wife a bigger vehicle (to haul the kid) so I took her '14 C250.Texas sun has not done any favors to the paint. This is a poor choice for a commuter car. Always fun in city traffic, but not too fun cruising on the highway for an hour.

Attached File  IMG_3457.JPG   263.93KB   1 downloads

#2 2000SVTC

2000SVTC

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    2000 SVT Contour

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:56 AM

Hi

As you can see, not too much action here these days.

I'm still dailying my 2000 bone stock SVTC, just passed 160k.  I came close to selling it to my son for his first car but bought him a 2003 SVT Focus instead.  My problem was that I couldn't decide what to buy to replace my SVTC!  My car is running well - had the drivetrain out at 130k to have Terry Haines (RIP) replace the busted diff.  That's really the only major issue my car has had since buying it 10+ years ago at 80k mi. Replaced all hoses, clutch, water pump etc while engine was out.

My only real beef with the car is that I'm afraid to rev it like crazy for extended periods for fear of con rod bearing failure.  But it's a street car, I have two race cars and an AX car so why do I need to flog it all that hard.  If I really cared all that much I'd put forged rods in it.  I do love the exhaust note at WOT and 4k+ RPMs!

#3 spridget

spridget

I eat fried rice.

• Moderators
  • 2,774 posts
  • Interests:driving fast
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 SVT

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:11 AM

Yeah, one thing I noticed driving the Contour as a daily is that you rarely see Contours on the road anymore. In the year I was daily driving it, i was approached at the gas station a couple times by folks who were excited to see a SVTC.