Air Conditioning

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gamaru

Gamaru

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 06:07 PM

I dont want my air conditioning system period.. would would be involved as far as the belt sytem changes?

#2 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,591 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 01 April 2004 - 07:02 PM

...both the V6 and Zetec have been produced for Europe with a 'non-A/C option'...A good parts store should list that belt...even in USA (Gates).Look under the hood at the belt plan...with the A/C compressor removed it shows the Non-A/C set up...

#3 Gamaru

Gamaru

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 07:09 PM

Im wondering first the gross weight of the entire A/C unit in total, and second what kind of response can i expect. I figured removing the A/C would create less resistance.. but im not sure where to begin estimating the gains.

#4 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,591 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 02 April 2004 - 05:26 AM

....just unplug the a/c clutch to feel(any) effect...when the clutch of the a/c is not engaged it just acts as an idler...

#5 Gamaru

Gamaru

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 09:53 AM

I wonder has anybody else concidered this or done this.. right now to me, it seems as if its a good way to take back a good 10 extra hp.. which would really be like shaving 180 lbs off the vehical wieght. 180 is a lot of weight!
Vehical = 3060lbs, pulling (aprox) 18 lbs per 1 hp. Take off about 180 and the total gain might only be noticable in the decimals, but its the little things.

#6 BuckeyeSVT

BuckeyeSVT

FCO Admin & Webmaster

• Admin
  • 6,221 posts
  • Interests:Contours of course..lol Engines, electronics, speed and anything else interesting enough to keep my attention.
  • Vehicle owned:
    2010 Taurus SHO 3.5EB
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Ford Contour SVT (1999)

Posted 02 April 2004 - 10:03 AM

If you don't mind my opinion I think you are chasing your tail with that idea. 18lbs reduction isn't going to do anything really.

-Dom

#7 Gamaru

Gamaru

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 10:18 AM

180 lbs reduction!.. 18 is the number of pounds the v6 pulls per one unit of hp. 18 multiplied by 10= 180 thats figuring im getting 10 hp back. Its all in the math, Im pretty surprised that you dont see benifit to weight reduction. With no extra mouldings, no spare tire & jack, no A/C unit (compressor, evaporator, pully lookin unit), I figure thats noteable.. (weight and resistance)
I plan on lighter seats, carbon fiber hood, etc. All this before any actual engine mods. but hey.. you think your anal? I have to wipe the shiz off my brow every 10 minutes..

#8 BuckeyeSVT

BuckeyeSVT

FCO Admin & Webmaster

• Admin
  • 6,221 posts
  • Interests:Contours of course..lol Engines, electronics, speed and anything else interesting enough to keep my attention.
  • Vehicle owned:
    2010 Taurus SHO 3.5EB
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Ford Contour SVT (1999)

Posted 02 April 2004 - 10:24 AM

A/C system doesn't weigh 180lbs.

Try 60lbs at the most. Remove your passenger seat, that'll give you more gains than removing the A/C.

-Dom

#9 Gamaru

Gamaru

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 10:45 AM

mmm.. again, the end figure is coming from an estimate of a ten horsepower gain. Nobody has yet specified exactly what kind of gain I can achieve. I am trying to use primitive logic here..
10 horsepower then, is aprox capable of pulling 180lbs. (when compared to specs stating 18lbs per 1 horsepower).
Therefor, while there isnt 180 lbs being removed, there still remains the equivelent of... that means its more of a visual aid to me to represent what the numbers are telling me with substance.
You can help me understand by telling me how many units of hp does the entire system rob you of, when off and when on?

#10 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,591 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 02 April 2004 - 03:19 PM

....just switch the HVAC to 'off' or 'panel' and the a/c doesn't cycle at all (as it does in all other 'heat' or A/C settings)

#11 Sleeper

Sleeper

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 04:28 PM

A/C system doesn't weigh 180lbs.

Try 60lbs at the most. Remove your passenger seat, that'll give you more gains than removing the A/C.

-Dom [/b]

One person in a Zetec removed the A/C system an save a whopping 24lbs!
When the A/C is off, it creates almost no resistence, its like its not even there.