p1131 error code

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 martzmotors

martzmotors

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 08:39 PM

my taurus has 79,000 miles on it the check engine light came on error code P1131 bank 1 lean happened while at 700 rpm. I check for vacume leak found none. no restriction in air filter. any ideas. I reset it and it came back on again 27 miles later at idle. It idels great and run great. Help!!!

#2 spridget

spridget

I eat fried rice.

• Moderators
  • 2,689 posts
  • Interests:driving fast
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 SVT

Posted 01 May 2004 - 09:01 PM

I suggest you post your question at The Taurus Car Club of America.

I'm an active member there too. There are some very helpful and knowledgeable folks there.

#3 BuckeyeSVT

BuckeyeSVT

FCO Admin & Webmaster

• Admin
  • 6,221 posts
  • Interests:Contours of course..lol Engines, electronics, speed and anything else interesting enough to keep my attention.
  • Vehicle owned:
    2010 Taurus SHO 3.5EB
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Ford Contour SVT (1999)

Posted 01 May 2004 - 11:18 PM

I'll take a stab at it being that I've been trained for this:

Any vacuum or air leaks can cause P1131.

Possible causes:
  • Water contamination in connector.
  • Leaking vacuum actuators.
  • Engine sealing (Intake and IAC).
  • EGR system (valve).
  • PCV system (hose and valve).
  • Unmetered air leaks between throttle body and mass air flow (MAF) sensor assembly.
Being that you have 79K on the motor, the possibilities are that maintenance to the induction system is required.

-Dom

#4 Gamaru

Gamaru

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 01:12 PM

hey dom, if its running lean on bank one does that mean its lacking oxegen or fuel.. sorry, but perfect op to clear this up so i understand this stuff.. thanks.?

#5 BuckeyeSVT

BuckeyeSVT

FCO Admin & Webmaster

• Admin
  • 6,221 posts
  • Interests:Contours of course..lol Engines, electronics, speed and anything else interesting enough to keep my attention.
  • Vehicle owned:
    2010 Taurus SHO 3.5EB
  • Garage Vehicles:

Posted 02 May 2004 - 01:26 PM

Lacking fuel. P1131 means the O2 sensor is hanging on the .1-.4 scale. If it doesn't reach .5 or higher it can't control the fuel mixture because it doesn't see the swing from lean to rich.

-Dom

#6 martzmotors

martzmotors

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 01:55 PM

Hey Dom are you saying that the O2 sensor could be old and needing to be replaced?

#7 BuckeyeSVT

BuckeyeSVT

FCO Admin & Webmaster

• Admin
  • 6,221 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    2010 Taurus SHO 3.5EB
  • Garage Vehicles:

Posted 02 May 2004 - 03:00 PM

Well, I do have a question before I give a definate answer...

Is this a VIN S (Duratec) engine or a VIN U (Vulcan/FFV)? A O2 sensor indicating lean at the end of a test is trying to correct for an over-rich condition. The test fails when the fuel control system no longer detects switching for a calibrated amount of time. This isn't attributed to a failed O2 sensor, but to an intake leak (i.e. gaskets {upper and lower intake}). Start by checking the upper and lower intake gaskets ( you can spray simple carburetor cleaner around the ports to see if it makes a change in the idle )... Propane is another good tool for enrichment... Using a small torch, (unlit) turn the gas supply on and follow around the gasket surfaces and watch the engine behavior. You can do this for vacuum connections and joints - Because it isn't caustic like carb cleaner.

If you took it to a real shop, they'd smoke check the intake and vacuum connections to see if they are leaking. That's the easiest way to do it, but the other method is as accurate ( just not as visual as the latter ).

-Dom

#8 martzmotors

martzmotors

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 03:33 PM

The Vin # is 1FAFP53U83G142339 I tried spraying carb cleaner yesterday and nothing changed on idle.

#9 BuckeyeSVT

BuckeyeSVT

FCO Admin & Webmaster

• Admin
  • 6,221 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    2010 Taurus SHO 3.5EB
  • Garage Vehicles:

Posted 02 May 2004 - 04:24 PM

The Vin # is 1FAFP53U83G142339  I tried spraying carb cleaner yesterday and nothing changed on idle. [/b]

It's a Vulcan Motor (12V). In this situation, without an OBD-2 handheld (To watch values from the sensor itself) you are going to go in circles (trial and error) in order to find the culprit. Best suggestion right now is to take it to a local shop for repair.

-Dom

#10 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,631 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:44 AM

....chances of an air leak are slim with a common intake manifold feeding two banks...both 02's would read lean....sounds like an 02 Vs a vac leak....

#11 martzmotors

martzmotors

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 08:54 AM

i have a hand held obd2 reader what values should I read?

and Terry you said sounds like 02 vs a vac leak. what do you mean? sorry not good at abreviations

#12 BuckeyeSVT

BuckeyeSVT

FCO Admin & Webmaster

• Admin
  • 6,221 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    2010 Taurus SHO 3.5EB
  • Garage Vehicles:

Posted 03 May 2004 - 08:59 AM

With the Handheld, you can read LTFT Bank 1 and 2 to compare if you have an issue. Read the O2 mV scale to see what the sensor is actually putting out once the engine is fully warm. Bring the idle up to 2000 RPM... if the sensor is not responsive, the sensor itself is bad. If it is moving from 100 to 500mv rapidly then it is working but something else is hampering it's reading. Rapidly I mean once a second switching from 100 to 800mv. If the sensor never reads over 400mv, the sensor itself may be the issue, and also if it only switches once from 100 to 500 in over 2 seconds or more.

-Dom