5 replies to this topic

#1 Chad

Chad

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 Contour GL

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:18 PM

Howdy ya'll. I've got a 98 Contour that I picked up extremely cheap, just trying to get er running good. To get the fuel pump to prime up and run, you would have to turn the key on and off multiple times. Once it started to run, it would never quit. It was just getting it to start pumping that was hard. When it did run, it would act like it was running lean and shift funny, so I replaced the TPS and it helped with the shifting and low RPM hesitation. But I still intermittenly had a problem in the upper RPM range as far as it cutting out.

I changed the plugs, wires, and put my fuel pressure gauge onto the valve and got about 35ish PSI at idle, and about 34 whenever you stepped on the gas to rev it up. I thought it sounded a little low (most EFI systems I've ever seen need about 40), so I bought a fuel filter. I put the filter on and finally got the fuel pump to prime up, went to back up and the car died. Since then, I've had no noise from the fuel pump. It used to click when you turned the key on like it was trying to prime up, but now it doesn't even do that. Does it sound like I will be in the market for a new fuel pump?

On a side note, I can still hear what seems to be a very quiet, possibly a low pressure pump, but not a sound for the in-tank pump. I pulled the back seat off from over top of it and I hear nothing at all. I think I will test the leads going to the plug of the pump and see what is hot. If it's hot, bank on getting a new pump? Thanks a lot!

#2 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,613 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:53 AM

.....at key on,no crank, the pump should run for 3>4 secs then stop.Only runs all the time when engine is running.

#3 Chad

Chad

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 Contour GL

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:42 PM

Well I replaced the fuel pump, and it works fine now. I messed up the connections for the lines so I'm going to have to see if Ford has those or not. Fuel line blows out unless I wedge a piece of metal across the top of the connections.

When it's still cold, it will cut out at different positions of the throttle (especially floor) and act like it starves for gas, but once it warms up, it seems to go away for the most part. I replaced the TPS and it didn't help. Any ideas there?

#4 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,613 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:41 AM

....could be MAF dirty or a suspect fuel pressure regulator.Check the fuel pressure if you can....

#5 Chad

Chad

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 Contour GL

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:49 PM

I sprayed some electrical cleaner into the entrance to the MAF on the two thin wires to clean them off. Car seemed to run better, but this was also when the car was still warm.

Now I have another problem. I got a new fuel pump retainer ring and went to go put it on. I broke BOTH of the lines while getting them off. It's not the hard plastic line that broke, but the elbow/nipple that clips down on the fuel pump itself. Both of the clips that hold them in place broke too. I called Ford and they told me that those elbow pieces are pressed into the hard plastic line and I will need to pull those out and show them exactly what I need. Is there any place I could go to buy those elbow pieces and put them on myself, and also find a place to get the female connectors for the pressurized side and return side that fit down in the pump housing? Maybe I just need the elbow pieces? Thanks again for the help Terry!

#6 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,613 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:49 AM

....the unions are a PIA to change.Most of the main fuel lines come as an assy ,front to back.Not sure if Ford list the unions as 'repair kit',some auto parts stores have kit parts re NAPA etc but the job itself is risky.The unions are shrink fit re heat onto the plastic lines.You may want to get a pro to swap these out re leaks,fire risk etc.....