#1 seanblee

seanblee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    2003 Focus TDCi Sport

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:22 PM

Hello there,

I've been reading your recommendations on fluid for the MTX75. I've got a Focus diesel over here in the UK which is suffering from intermittent heavy engagement of 3rd gear, it can need quite a shove to get it to go in, but it never crunches. I had the fluid changed at the last service at a Ford dealer, which improved things for a short time but it's now back to normal. Over here, Ford used to recommend an M2C 186A spec fluid, but they changed in the last year or two to specifying the same fluid as the IB5, M2C 200C, which turns out to be a 75W90 gear oil.

I'm planning to change the fluid again in a couple of months to something else, but I don't think I'm able to get the Ford honey here in the UK - do you reckon Royal Purple Synchomax is an acceptable alternative, or did I ought to seek out something else? Comma and Millers both do an MT75 oil, would I be better off using that? Apparently it's more or less a 75W90 oil too.

Thanks very much in advance, and sorry to trouble you with a question you've probably been asked hundreds of times before!

#2 morbid

morbid

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    2000 Contour SVT (black/tan)

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:36 PM

I'm not going to comment on the fluid (I'll let someone else chime in), but if you haven't already done so... check the condition of the shifter cable end on your tower. I replaced my crumbling cable end and 3rd gear (and reverse) was no longer so challenging.

#3 seanblee

seanblee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    2003 Focus TDCi Sport

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:42 PM

I'll take a look at that in the morning, thanks - I was considering installing a Steeda short shift in the near future anyway, so I'll have a look at replacing the cable end when I do it to be on the safe side.

Edited by seanblee, 16 January 2007 - 04:42 PM.

#4 spridget

spridget

I eat fried rice.

• Moderators
  • 2,687 posts
  • Interests:driving fast
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 SVT

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:15 PM

As for the oil, you'd be better off using 15w40 Diesel engine oil than that gear oil.

Ford Synthetic Manual Transmission fluid is the top pick. Royal Purple is a close second.

#5 morbid

morbid

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    2000 Contour SVT (black/tan)

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:00 PM

I'll take a look at that in the morning, thanks - I was considering installing a Steeda short shift in the near future anyway, so I'll have a look at replacing the cable end when I do it to be on the safe side.

The cable end that wears out is on the tranny side of the cable. As far as I'm aware... the only part that really wears on the shifter (and doesn't get replaced by the steeda) is the white plastic bushing for the side-to-side movement. I just ordered a new one from Bill J.

#6 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,623 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:55 AM

..I'm hard pressed to accept that Ford have gone to a 75W/90 for the IB5 in UK...That type of gear oil is only needed for a hypoid cut geat,which neither the IB5 or MTX75 is,do you have a copy of the geniuine For Europe lube chart or a TSB etc that directs the change of fluid?.The Ford Honey fluid here is #XT-M5-QS.
FWIW..we here in Michigan have a bit of a cold spell right now so I left our own car with and MTX75 trans (and Honey in the kogbox) out last night to do a cold shift/engagement test this morning.OK the car is an X Type Jag but the trans is an MTX75.This morning around 5.30AM it was 13 Degrees F here...Started the car,slid easy into gear,drove off ...no shift problems,no blocking or stiff shifts etc.About a mile or so up the raod the temp was colder(from the outside tep registered in the car)It was 10 Degrees F.
So to all those who say honey doesn't shift well in the cold...BUNK!!! If you still have stiff shifts with honey chances are you have tight shift forks or other issues withing the trans but it's not the lube.

#7 seanblee

seanblee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    2003 Focus TDCi Sport

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:38 AM

Well, the Haynes manual for the vehicle says the IB5 takes SAE 75W/90 gear oil to Ford WSD-M2C 200-C, and the MTX75 takes trans fluid to Ford ESD-M2C 186-A. Ford now describe M2C 186-A as "FLUID, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, FRICTION MODIFIED, FOR MANUAL TRANSMISSION USE-USE WSD-M2C200-C", so they've changed the spec to use the same fluid on both boxes. The gearbox section of the workshop manual for the Focus says to use manual transmission fluid to WSD-M2C 200-C for both the IB5 and the MTX75 too.

To add further confusion, Royal Purple say that for M2C 200-C and for XT-M5-QS spec I need to use their SAE 10W/40 engine oil, not Synchromax, and not their Max-Gear 75W/90 either. Help!

#8 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,623 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:48 AM

Stay away from ATF fluids and gear oils re 75,90,etc etc.Better of with either the US Ford honey spec or as mentioned,a 15W/40 synth diesel engine oil.Info from the Haynes I would consider suspect.I would want to see,in the dearler,the CURRENT and/LATEST Ford lube chart that covers the MTX75 AND and TSB's etc that refer to the MTX75.Anything else is 2nd hand speculation.My info is from the genuine Ford(USA) Powertrain current lubechart,issued by Ford.

#9 xkeithx

xkeithx

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    99 Contour SE V6 5-Speed

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:17 PM

where do you get the honey oil from? the dealer?? i went to autozone, kragen, and pep boys and was looking for 15w40 or the ford honey stuff and the people who worked there were looking at me like i was crazy.

#10 Rikk

Rikk

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 CSVT 3L hybrid

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:11 PM

Ford honey is only availible at a Ford dealer(and if you call it honey they may give you the same look)the part # is #XT-M5-QS. As Terry already stated, it is manual trans fluid
By the way my owners manual from Ford for my SVT also says use ATF-DO NOT USE ATF

#11 xkeithx

xkeithx

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    99 Contour SE V6 5-Speed

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:42 PM

can i just go to autozone and buy the shell rotella 15W40 oil, 1 gallon for $9.99? i saw it next to the gear oils, and it says diesel on it.

it didnt say synthetic anywhere on it but will it work?

#12 spridget

spridget

I eat fried rice.

• Moderators
  • 2,687 posts
  • Interests:driving fast
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 SVT

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:54 PM

kind of a touchy subject for Terry, so all I will say is that the $36 for two qts of Ford Honey is cheap insurance against a $1500 transmission repair.

Just don't use ATF. Diesel 15w-40 is a better alternative over ATF. Amsoil and Royal Purple both make MTX fluids that are full synth and cost about $8/qt.

#13 Rikk

Rikk

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 CSVT 3L hybrid

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:43 AM

Keith no no no Listen:
1-Ford honey(part#XT-M5-QS)
A close 2nd- Royal Purple Syncromax
3-Fully Synthetic Diesel motor oil 15w40

Amsoil is also a popular option-they do make Syn. diesel motor oil

Do not buy regular diesel motor oil, I put RP Syncromax in my CSVT it is an immediate noticable difference do yourself a favor LISTEN to Terry most good tranny advice that you get here will be regergitated Terry knowledge

Edited by Rikk, 31 January 2007 - 05:45 AM.