10 replies to this topic

#1 jeromio

jeromio

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 Contour SVT

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:01 AM

I've just finished pulling my broken 2.5L (80K miles, full synthetic oil changes, not driven hard -> severe bottom end failure?).

The trans had an issue on fast 2-3 shifts. In removing the engine, I noticed that the linkage (the lower one) was missing its innards. That is, the upper linkage has a part that firmly links the plastic end of the cable to the rod on the transmission. It was firmly attached and very difficult to remove. The lower cable simply had the oblong hole, nothing inside it and could move freely back and forth about 1.5cm - it slipped off easily. Clearly lots of play and though it can move the trans lever, quick, hard shifts would not be favorable.

So, I am ready to conclude that the trans is basically fine and that my shift cable just needs refurbishment. Any disagreement?

I'm a bit torn b/c I have it all out - and getting it out was a PITA. However, trans rebuilders are few and far betw. in this area - I've already used one rebuilder on another project who did NOT do a good job. Also, I'm plopping about $2K (plus my own weekends) into getting this car back on the road (with an Escape 3L) - I figure the car is worth $2500. I see there is a tendency to recomemnd the $900 BAT trans - ain't gonna happen on this car. In other words, any extra money (for trans or rebuild) is basically being flushed. I like the car, but just not that much....

BTW, I do plan (part of my budget) to get the aftermarket (Spec-1) clutch as the springs in the stocker started to go wonky at about 25K miles.

Thanks.

#2 dub

dub

• Members
  • 308 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 SVT Contour

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:34 PM

hey man keep clear of spec, had one and did not like it. as for the mtx i had one shiped from bat to terry haines and he moded fer 2k. its real nice! pm terry he will have your best solution. gl! dub

#3 Rikk

Rikk

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 CSVT 3L hybrid

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:27 PM

I agree call Bill Jenkins at Team Ford for the shift cable clips, and PM Terry Haines he is by far the most knowledgable MTX trans mechanic around and you would be surprised how cheap shipping may be no matter where you are.(My engine is 1000 miles away right now,shipped for $185)PM me if you need a cheap shipper.
STAY AWAY from Spec clutches and buy a Sachs clutch kit from Eric at BAT inc. my clutch(Sachs) hooked up and no funny noises.
Good Luck-Rikk

Edited by Rikk, 28 May 2007 - 05:28 PM.

#4 spridget

spridget

I eat fried rice.

• Moderators
  • 2,689 posts
  • Interests:driving fast
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 SVT

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:31 AM

X2 for Sach's clutches. After many redline shifts with a 3L, the clutch has always hooked up, never made a sound, and the clutch pedal is light. Excellent clutch and costs alot less than Specs junk.

#5 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,631 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:35 AM

...apart from your visual discription of the cables etc I think you may have an issue with 3rd gear syncro blocking faster shifts.Can you give a little more detail...did it go into gear ok on lower speed shifts?....any crunches etc?

#6 jeromio

jeromio

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 Contour SVT

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:48 AM

...apart from your visual discription of the cables etc I think you may have an issue with 3rd gear syncro blocking faster shifts.Can you give a little more detail...did it go into gear ok on lower speed shifts?....any crunches etc?

Normal driving, shifts were fine. On hard accel, the 2-3 shift would grind. It would go in, but it would grind. Most of the time, even when I was trying to get moving (like to accelerate around someone at a "this lane ends" type of intersection), I would consciously hesitate the 2-3 shift and it would be fine - no grind. It was only a problem if you tried to really skoot and forgot to baby the 2-3 shift.

Sachs clutch - $359.95? Spendy....

#7 Terry Haines

Terry Haines

• Moderators
  • 11,631 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 contour se v6

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

Sachs clutch - $359.95? Spendy......Then go with a Ford OEM exchange SVT unit.
You discribe a worn out 3rd gear blocker/syncro.Trans out & strip to correct...

#8 jeromio

jeromio

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 Contour SVT

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:19 PM

Sachs clutch - $359.95? Spendy......Then go with a Ford OEM exchange SVT unit.
You discribe a worn out 3rd gear blocker/syncro.Trans out & strip to correct...

Well, I guess that figures. My wallet is shrinking....

#9 jeromio

jeromio

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 Contour SVT

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:21 PM

Well, I guess that figures. My wallet is shrinking....

It turns out $359 is not as spendy as I thought - includes the disc and pressure plate (not just the clutch disc).

I've noticed that some kits come with the slave/throw-out, the Sachs (at that price from that vendor) does not. Recommendations for the slave? Try to find the Sachs full kit? Go with something like Raybestos for the slave?

#10 Rikk

Rikk

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    98 CSVT 3L hybrid

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:47 AM

NO use a Sachs clutch kit(comes with slave,PP,disc)or use Ford OEM, the Ford slave is preferred by Champions(TH).Eric @ B.A.T. has the kit for around $400.
www.batinc.net
Good Luck-Rikk

Edited by Rikk, 30 May 2007 - 04:49 AM.

#11 spridget

spridget

I eat fried rice.

• Moderators
  • 2,689 posts
  • Interests:driving fast
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 SVT

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:13 PM

The throw out included with a Sach's Super Set clutch kit is the same part supplied to Ford. The Spec kits are more expensive than Sach's and commonly ship with the wrong throw out. Many times, the 4cyl throw out is included with the 6cyl clutch kit. I've purchased several Sach's kits for about $285. You can get a LuK kit (which is what came OEM) for around $250.