19 replies to this topic

#1 2.0ztech

2.0ztech

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 Mystique gs 4cyl

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:21 PM

can i put a supercharger on my zetec. it has 108,000 miles on it and its a auto trans. and what kind of supercharger should i get to.

thank you

#2 TourminatorGL

TourminatorGL

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:42 PM

can i put a supercharger on my zetec. it has 108,000 miles on it and its a auto trans. and what kind of supercharger should i get to.

thank you

Yes. A Ford Focus Jackson Racing Supercharger is a possibility. I think it requires minor modification to fit correctly.
http://www.superchar...teIndexID=33366

I don't know the details of it or what work is required, but a few have used this for their Contour with a Zetec motor.

Edited by TourminatorGL, 19 September 2007 - 11:29 PM.

#3 97contique

97contique

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:My car, kareoke, slot machines and car shows!
  • Vehicle owned:
    1997 Mercury Mystique

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:16 PM

thank you

Hi. I wanted to get a supercharger as well. A friend of mine said that the 2.0 motor wouldn't last with the supercharger because it would be faster than what the car can go and it would push it. I was told if I want to put a supercharger on my car that it would be best to go with a 3.0 or higher. Hope this helps.

Dawn

#4 spridget

spridget

I eat fried rice.

• Moderators
  • 2,670 posts
  • Interests:driving fast
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 SVT

Posted 16 September 2007 - 01:10 AM

A small roots blower like the Eaton M45 or M62 would be perfect for the 2L Zetec. There's alot more room under the hood of the 4cyl than the V6, and fabrication would not be too terrible. Also, it would add more power, but not enough to really damage anything or make the car unsafe.

#5 BigBalledOX

BigBalledOX

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 Mercury Cougar

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:44 PM

Hi. I wanted to get a supercharger as well. A friend of mine said that the 2.0 motor wouldn't last with the supercharger because it would be faster than what the car can go and it would push it. I was told if I want to put a supercharger on my car that it would be best to go with a 3.0 or higher. Hope this helps.

Dawn

. . . WHAT? Your alleged "friend" is an idiot if thats what they told you. There's nothing wrong with forced induction on the 2.0 Zetec engine as long as the engine is in good condition and, of course, you get a good tune.

#6 BuckeyeSVT

BuckeyeSVT

FCO Admin & Webmaster

• Admin
  • 6,221 posts
  • Interests:Contours of course..lol Engines, electronics, speed and anything else interesting enough to keep my attention.
  • Vehicle owned:
    2010 Taurus SHO 3.5EB
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Ford Contour SVT (1999)

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:06 PM

The only caution I would give is with the mileage I would make sure the engine is in perfect state of tune before doing a supercharger. Zetecs have an ugly habit of forming sludge in the oil passageways and over time it will eventually kill the engine. Other than that - make sure everything normal is in good shape and boost away!

-Dom

#7 BrApple

BrApple

• Members
  • 1,518 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 Contour SeVT 3.0L Turbo

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:31 AM

Zetecs have an ugly habit of forming sludge in the oil passageways and over time it will eventually kill the engine.

never heard this before, can you explain any more? My 95 Zetec is getting close to 200k and still running very strong ... now the small oil leaks are another story ...

#8 BuckeyeSVT

BuckeyeSVT

FCO Admin & Webmaster

• Admin
  • 6,221 posts
  • Interests:Contours of course..lol Engines, electronics, speed and anything else interesting enough to keep my attention.
  • Vehicle owned:
    2010 Taurus SHO 3.5EB
  • Garage Vehicles:

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:54 AM

The sludge issue is not apparent until you pull the oil pan off. Apparently the Zetecs share talents with some of the Toyota engines that if you extend your oil changes for any reason (5,000 miles+) the oil will literally coke up and sludge everything. I have pics at the shop if you'd like to see what the oil pan looks like. The head looks fine, so there is no indication up top - But the bottom end is a complete different story.

-Dom

#9 Tdh24

Tdh24

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 Coutour GL Zetec

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:15 PM

I read you can not put a focus supercharger on a contour is this true?

#10 BuckeyeSVT

BuckeyeSVT

FCO Admin & Webmaster

• Admin
  • 6,221 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    2010 Taurus SHO 3.5EB
  • Garage Vehicles:

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:24 PM

Last time I checked you can, just requires a little modification.

-Dom

#11 99VCTContour

99VCTContour

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 Contour LX

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:34 PM

Here's a message from locozs/c on the topic of installing a jackson racing supercharger on a 98+ Zetec:

"Here is a brief list of what had to be done:

Install went according to the instructions but a few things had to "made"

-A plate to block off the EGR (for us 98+ Contours)
-Part of a bracket that the new intake manifold is supported on will need to fabbed
-You will need to get a IAC valve from a Focus.....the Contour IAC connector goes out in a 90 degree angle (which will hit the intake manifold)...the Focus connector goes out straight
- to get the alternator bolts in you will have to raise the engine
-if you have a UDP you will need to find your stock one.....Underdriving the S/C will give lower boost
-you will basically have to eliminate the cruise control....the way TB bolts up to the S/C the bracket sits kind of high....so a Dremel is you friend-----cut the piece of braket where the C/C goes....didn't matter to me....I never use it.
-CTA would probably be a better option for a "bolt on" intake....all I had to do is cut it and reverse it.

Other than that we just followed the instructions.

Driving impressions: Get some injectors, bigger MAF and a chip....bcause the S/C comes alive with the 2.6 pulley (3.0 stock)"

#12 BrApple

BrApple

• Members
  • 1,518 posts
  • Vehicle owned:

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:36 PM

I read you can not put a focus supercharger on a contour is this true?

its already been done, both a 2k zetec atx and a zetec mondeo are/where running the jackson racing supercharger

#13 BrApple

BrApple

• Members
  • 1,518 posts
  • Vehicle owned:

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:37 PM

The sludge issue is not apparent until you pull the oil pan off. Apparently the Zetecs share talents with some of the Toyota engines that if you extend your oil changes for any reason (5,000 miles+) the oil will literally coke up and sludge everything. I have pics at the shop if you'd like to see what the oil pan looks like. The head looks fine, so there is no indication up top - But the bottom end is a complete different story.

-Dom

yeah I would like to see those pics. I wonder how my 192k zetec is doing then. However I have kept pretty strickly to 3k oil changes because of the miles on the engine

#14 percybigun

percybigun

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1994 Mondeo Mk1 x 2

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:30 AM

i have a jackson M45 focus supercharger on a 2.0 zetec mondeo. same sort of mileage on my car so dont worry. also i have alot of other mods, running higher boost, nitrous etc etc and its fine.

very very good modification to do.

my only gripe is the M45 is a bit small, if i were to do it again i'd go for a M62 or bigger but obviously it would be alot of work to make one fit. the M45 jackson kit is pretty much bolt straight on.

dont let anyone tell you this system will not fit the contour/mondeo. Loco on CEG done it on his contour, and there is 2 mondeo's in the UK with it done.

another option would be to adapt one of the focus zetec turbo kits to fit. i have another mondeo with an excellent turbo build and it is in another league to the jackson supercharger.

zetec turboes are pretty popular over here in the UK.

#15 Stuukaatz

Stuukaatz

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1996 Mystique I-4, MTX

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:44 AM

Hey Dom,
Back to the sludge build up issue for the Zetec. I got this car used for my daughter with 39,000 miles on it 2 yrs ago. Now has 60,000. I have been pretty religious about changing the oil, but of course I really have no idea what the maintenance was like with prior owner. That being said, is it worth it to get one of these "oil flushes" done that every oil change place seems to push as a must do. I'm wondering if that just might cause more problems and if I should just let "sleeping dogs lie"...so to speak...thanks

#16 spridget

spridget

I eat fried rice.

• Moderators
  • 2,670 posts
  • Interests:driving fast
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 SVT

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:02 PM

The problem with oil shop flushes is that they work too well, and the shop doesn't take it to the next step.

To do the job right, after the flush is run, the oil pan needs to be removed and cleaned, along with the pickup tube. Oil shops rarely, if ever, do this. I've seen first hand what happens 5k miles down the road afterwards to a perfectly good, high mileage engine. The sludge is removed from the oil passages and left in the pan. The pickup tube sucks up this concentrated mess and ruins the engine.

#17 Stuukaatz

Stuukaatz

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1996 Mystique I-4, MTX

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:26 PM

The problem with oil shop flushes is that they work too well, and the shop doesn't take it to the next step.

To do the job right, after the flush is run, the oil pan needs to be removed and cleaned, along with the pickup tube. Oil shops rarely, if ever, do this. I've seen first hand what happens 5k miles down the road afterwards to a perfectly good, high mileage engine. The sludge is removed from the oil passages and left in the pan. The pickup tube sucks up this concentrated mess and ruins the engine.

Thanks for the quick reply Spridget. So, lets say I find a shop that will go the extra steps. Do you recommend the oil flush as a good preventitive maintenence practice?

#18 2.0ztech

2.0ztech

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1999 Mystique gs 4cyl

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Spridget. So, lets say I find a shop that will go the extra steps. Do you recommend the oil flush as a good preventitive maintenence practice?

will this supercharger fit to http://www.focusspor...upercharger.htm.

#19 percybigun

percybigun

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1994 Mondeo Mk1 x 2

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:32 AM

i dont think the focus sport SC will fit, it is too big where the top engine mount would go.

powerworks would be much better than the jackson kit but we dont know if it would clear the contour/mondeo firewall and steering componentry down the back of the engine.

#20 bagdtour

bagdtour

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1996 ford contour gl

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:03 PM

so the jackson racing supercharger is the way to go. i also want to do this to my 2.0 zetec