#1 gary b

gary b

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 contour V6

Posted 22 September 2007 - 03:40 PM

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a 98 mercury mystique V-6 automatic (CD4E) with 115,000 miles.

Owner says the car was diagnosed with torque converter stuck on (symptom was stalling) ( I don't know what codes were set) This Ford Dealer recommended replacing the converter and TCC solenoid pack.

I have a few Questions:

What sensor inputs does the CD4E transaxle use to control torque converter lockup/release, VSS, turbine speed etc?? Can any of these cause a torque converter stuck on condition??

What is the possibility the valve body is involved with this problem?

Can the TCC lockup be disabled (unplugged??)long enough to drive the car 30 miles to my home and to verify if stalling is due to TCC stuck on?
Thanks in advance, gary

Edited by gary b, 22 September 2007 - 04:18 PM.

#2 BuckeyeSVT

BuckeyeSVT

FCO Admin & Webmaster

• Admin
  • 6,221 posts
  • Interests:Contours of course..lol Engines, electronics, speed and anything else interesting enough to keep my attention.
  • Vehicle owned:
    2010 Taurus SHO 3.5EB
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Ford Contour SVT (1999)

Posted 22 September 2007 - 04:42 PM

Unfortunately no, it cannot be disconnected. GM cars used to have the same issue, however they had a 4 pin plug on the front that you could disconnect and keep going no problem. I bet the TCC solenoid is your only issue - It's not common on these cars but I guess it happens. I wouldn't replace the converter (the solenoid controls the fluid flow for engagement) and if the converter was failed - It would be locked all the time.

Drive it and see, worst case scenario you are stalling at a light or stop sign. You may be lucky enough to restart and go, but it may stick after restart and give you a hell of a time to get going.

-Dom

#3 gary b

gary b

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 contour V6

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:12 PM

MUCH thanks, Dom

Then it's not possible a bad sensor would cause TCC stuck on then?

You said if the converter failed the TCC "would be locked on all the time". I think this is what the car owner is trying to tell me.

If the CONVERTER FAILED would it be locked on in park and neutral also?
Would my scan tool show TCC on at all times (including park and neutral)??

A few weeks after the torque converter stuck on problem started, the car stalled one day and would not restart??
(possibly from converter locked???)

thanks again, gary

#4 BuckeyeSVT

BuckeyeSVT

FCO Admin & Webmaster

• Admin
  • 6,221 posts
  • Interests:Contours of course..lol Engines, electronics, speed and anything else interesting enough to keep my attention.
  • Vehicle owned:
    2010 Taurus SHO 3.5EB
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Ford Contour SVT (1999)

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:58 PM

If the car is out of gear (Park or Neutral), the torque converter condition (locked or not) would not effect engine starting. Perhaps the engine stalling and not starting isn't the torque converter at all and possibly something else.

-Dom

#5 gary b

gary b

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Vehicle owned:
    1998 contour V6

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:18 PM

Thanks Dom

I gotta find the time to go see the car and try to start it myself and check what my scanner says.

Thanks again, gary