Couple weeks ago we went down to the Inner Harbor to see the cars. She's the ultimate charmer... guys want her to sit in their Ferarris. This year there were no Dino 246, but if I were a rich guy, I'd buy a Mondial before I bought a Dino 246.
That ride was pitiful. Started right up, got to bottom of the drive, and the
trans wouldn't go.... the engine lost power, sputtering. I rocked it as best as
I could back up the drive a bit, but it couldn't climb it. After wondering how
I'd gt it back to its parking spot, the engine smoothed out a bit. I decided to
see if I could launch it up the road. Very poorly, I got up to the intersection
on the other side of the ajoining empty lot. rolled it backwards and got it
turned around back down hill. Afraid it would conk before getting out onto the
road and up the drive.... I was able to back it far enough to take a downhill
assisted try at going through the empty lot. Musta looked mighty hillbilly
jumping the low hill up onto that empty lot :). Put it back in its spot, and
checked/added trans fluid. Again it started nice, so with the tranny engaging
now, I hopped up to the gas station for some high test. 2.5 gallon, and back
onto the road home... 1/4 mile. It did fine accelerating, then back to sputter.
I dove into that same side road, and drove around the developement a little.
Spells of smooth and severe miss, so up over the vacant lot I went. Got it into
So, it's got an issue with trans fluid. The linkage is hosed up... have to pull
it past drive, then push forward to drive to engage. Very prone to missfire,
prolly dampness draining spark somewhere in the dizzy area. Speedo doesn't
work, on and on..... Body rust bad enough in a few places to need real pro
repair and panel replacement.
I'm advising Hottie later when I go down to her place that it's NOT going to be
a practical daily driver for her. Poor thing.... she's going to be heartbroken.
None of the things I fixed were really due to sitting so long, and coupled with
the history the old uncle's receipts tell, this is one of those "bad" cars. I'm
calling her, "Christine" from this point on. Only a very dedicated,
mechanic/owner will ever get much more out of this ole Benz. Guess I'll have to
have Hottie over to drive for herself and accept the sad truth. I will say the
motor appears to be worth salvaging, as well as wheels and glass. These motors
do last pretty well, but are not very powerful... like 160 horse from an
overhead cam Aluminum V8.
I will try to resell the weatherstrip kit I bought once Hottie is all cried out.
I think she needs another Sube or a Passat.
The one short test drive I made in the car indicated dragging brakes. Understandable since it sat so long. I expected it was the parking brakes. The rim blasting exercise included inspection. The driver side pad wear showed only one (these are two opposing piston type calipers) pad was wearing. This means one of the pistons is stuck in its bore. These days I don't rebuild... I replace. The rotors aren't scored, but they are pitted from rust. There's certanly enough there to function, so I'll let the inspection guy make that call.... save Hottie a little money maybe. Parking brake shoes good and linkage free, So I replaced the bad caliper and put new pads on both wheels.
I'd also blasted the rear rims this week, but hadn't clear sprayed em till today. Too chilly and hungry to finish today.
Have noted that in two weeks since starting, the battery is too discharged now. It has a battery drain history.
Shoulda showed you a "before" shot, but whatev. They look awful.
I blasted the rim, then clear sprayed it. I have sand in my little spot blaster, then visited a pal with his box blaster. We decided his was another silica media cause I didn't want to use an oxide that could rust spot the alloy rims.
The center cap got wet sanded to smooth the edges of the peeled plating, then I used some chrome paint on them.... turned out nice although I don't know how well that stays on.
I had a couple hours of daylight left today so I pulled a wheel to start checking brakes, suspension, and steering. The outside of the rotor was slightly grooved. I ran a sanding disc over it to clear off the years of rust, and the ridges went away mostly. The pads are good. The subframe bushings are not looking real good, but don't need replacing yet. The upper and lower A arm bushings are in the same condition. The uncle had taken pretty nice care. The steering joints are fit, so Hottie doesn't have parts on this corner. There's rust on the inside of the wheel well. Needs closer inspection and deff need some areas fixed/covered. The wheel rim is alloy, and pretty much nasty looking with dark blotches and peeled clear. I tried a little elbow grease, and went right to the sand blaster. My little spot blaster could do it, but I'll carry each rim to a friend's blaster box. Once blasted to clean smooth alloy, I may just clear it, or I may use a fine brush first. The dust shield behind the rim will be cleaned and painted. The test blast and spray clear looks good enough. I'll spray the center cap with a metal silver paint. They aren't resin, just a Mercedes star embossed. I left that corner on blocks and put the tools away for tonight.