Sign in to follow this  
Terry Haines

Final Drive Ratio Changes

...If I could stay out of the throttle I am sure my gas mileage would be far better..

...well yes but I don't think we 'build' cars with uprated engines etc to get better MPG!!..the 160MPH Contour run was not too worried about MPG!! LOL

I like mine with the 3.5 ratio. Close to 500 rpm lower at highway speeds and better suited for the turbo. If I could stay out of the throttle I am sure my gas mileage would be far better.

Yes that is a lot of the reason I want to do this. It would be great to have the rpms lower on the freeway.

I hope this weekend I'll be able to pull the shift tower and take a look at the output shaft. The trans was brand new in 2005 so I'm pretty optimistic.

..hope you get lucky and as you can see from the fastest Contour in the USA,we can build to any spec or need you want,should you need our services..

Me too! I'm looking into options so I definitely have that in mind. And once again thanks for all the helpful info.

FWIW we also have a new source of parts to go to 3.8 FDR with the EARLY level shaft if budget is a concern. This again is why we take trips 'over the pond' to seek out old contacts and parts supply from Europe & UK... :wink:

Well I finally have the trans and engine out. I checked my output shaft and it is indeed the later style shaft. I had a feeling this would be the case since it was replaced in 05.

So now I need to find the focus 3.5 output shaft and corresponding ring gear correct? I'm not doing the trans work myself, but I would like to know exactly what is going on when I have it done.

The fordparts.com site shows the output shaft I need but I'm having trouble figuring out which ring gear I need for the 3.5 FD.

Yes,that is the later 3 part output shaft. I'd advise against an output shaft swap as a DIY job. The later shaft is not the same set up to strip etc as the early unit.

I'm definitely not doing this myself, I'm way too chicken for that. If Haines Motorsports was closer you would have my transmission. It's most likely going to a shop here. However I'm providing all the parts necessary so I'm just making sure I'm not leaving any details out.

A Focus unit will not help as most have the later 3 piece shaft.The Ford parts were made obsolete years ago.You need parts or a used trans from a 95>97 Ford Contour Zetec rod shift trans.You need the pinion AND the ring gear as they have to match.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.