FordContour.Org

HELP! TRUNK LOCKED!

:wallbash: I always used my trunk popper until recently when it started going south and didn't always work. After that I had to use the lever to always get the trunk open. Last week I was moving a bunch of boxes and as I was taking them out it got caught on some lever. I didn't know which way it was supposed to go or what it was for but now I can't open the trunk anymore. The lock seized since I never used it and now the keys won't work. I have the split folding seats and tried taking the back seat out but after I removed the torx bolts the seats still wouldn't budge. After that I spent a day using as much WD-40 on the lock to see if it would budge at all and that wouldn't work! :huh: Terry, anybody out there, if you have any ideas please help!

you flipped the switch located as part of the trunk lock that disables the interior trunk release. you have to use your key or key fob if you have one

you flipped the switch located as part of the trunk lock that disables the interior trunk release. you have to use your key or key fob if you have one

Why does that seem like a incredibly dumb idea. <today at the design meeting> "Hmmm an other ideas?" *someone raises hand* "Yes, I was thinking that we should add a lever, INSIDE the trunk, that disables the trunk release lever." <room is all quiet, when suddenly> *Massive amounts of applauds!* [guy is from there promoted to vp chairman]

I now have made a constious note to avoid that lever, even though my trunk release is going south also.

Edited by TheJcode

:wallbash: I always used my trunk popper until recently when it started going south and didn't always work. After that I had to use the lever to always get the trunk open. Last week I was moving a bunch of boxes and as I was taking them out it got caught on some lever. I didn't know which way it was supposed to go or what it was for but now I can't open the trunk anymore. The lock seized since I never used it and now the keys won't work. I have the split folding seats and tried taking the back seat out but after I removed the torx bolts the seats still wouldn't budge. After that I spent a day using as much WD-40 on the lock to see if it would budge at all and that wouldn't work! :huh: Terry, anybody out there, if you have any ideas please help!

Ok, here is my experience. Whatever you do, do not use the lever inside the car next to the driver's seat. I did this is the cable that goes to the release lever in the trunk broke. If you use your key in the lock mechanism, and it doesn't budge, be very careful you don't bend or break your key. :doh: (another one of my experiences) Anyway, the best thing I can advice is use the remote. You should have gotten two of them, so try both to see if it will work. One other thing to do, is if your remote is starting to work intermittent, then it may just need a new battery. The remote is tricky to get open, but their is a small battery in the one I got, and Ford charged me nothing since I knew one of the mechanics. Correct me if I am wrong Terry or Dom, but this seems the best way to solve this problem.

Oh! One last thing, but you probably already know this. Once you do get the trunk open, move the switch back, and then DON'T TOUCH IT!! LOL!!

Later!!

- J.D.

...you need a locksmith.Once you have it open need to 1)Repair the cable connection inside the trunk and at the lever by the driver(usually gunk and muck mess up this lever)2)Repair the electrical unlock sol in the trunk....along with the 'old style' key lock!

Most all larter cars now have an internal release inside the trunk...in case we dump our kids,neighbours wife etc inside the trunk and they cant get out!!

Most all larter cars now have an internal release inside the trunk...in case we dump our kids,neighbours wife etc inside the trunk and they cant get out!!

I believe the interior trunk release was added in 2000 as my SVT has one but my 99 SE doesn't

Why does that seem like a incredibly dumb idea. <today at the design meeting> "Hmmm an other ideas?" *someone raises hand* "Yes, I was thinking that we should add a lever, INSIDE the trunk, that disables the trunk release lever." <room is all quiet, when suddenly> *Massive amounts of applauds!* [guy is from there promoted to vp chairman]

why? it was done so that lets say you use a valet or take the car in for service those people can not get into the trunk. Keep in mind that the pre98 had a different key for the ignition/doors and one for the trunk. So you wouldn't be giving someone every key or the remote. this makes the trunk more secure and of course you have to set it before closing the trunk.

Now my 2k SVT doesn't have this switch which I found interesting

Thats why you dont let valets touch it :P

One of my grandparent's lincoln actually had a sperate valet key. Never used it but assume it only works on doors and ignition.

Besides, theres much better ways to prevent that (if that was the idea) than to put lock in the trunk for it. Lock in the glove box and lock the glove box with they key... I havn't had mine long so havn't even notice if the glove box is lockable haha.

• 7 years later...

I have a 1998 CSVT E1. I can open my trunk with the interior side lever, and I can use my key; but my key fob remote button does not work. No noise, nothing. What do I need to fix or replace to get it working again? I did a search and I read my manuals. I cannot find a fuse or relay for the trunk release. It sure would be nice to be able to use my  key fob remote to open the trunk. HELP!

Thanks,

VC

Don't forget if you have the split rear seats (not all 'Tours do), this may always be an option for gaining access to the trunk. I realize the release latch is inside the trunk, but that is why we have tools.

• 8 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.