Sign in to follow this  
Guest D's nuts

Dash bulb number?

Guest D's nuts

Does anyone know where to find or what number the bulb is to the instrument gauges? Every part store I go to has themn listed as a 161 but its like twice the size of the actual dash bulb. I compaired them to ever bulb on hte shelf at like 3 dif part stores and cant find it. Is thtis a ford item only? Any help would be great thanks

...handbook say 151 is main light switch illumination.All warning lights are a 51A...from the handbook.

So are the lights that illuminate the speedo, and tacho a 51A? If so, then where do you find those in different colors? :blink:

where do you find those in different colors?

...from my memory,the colors can be set by the plastic film inside the cluster assy and the bulbs remain white...Long time since I opened up the pods...

Guest D's nuts

I open ny cluster and like dom told me you have to pull the face off hte gauge it self and scrap the green paint off the back of the numbers. THat is what makes it glow green. But hte light is still kindda yellow after you scrap it.. I know superbrightleds.com makes all dif bulbs in leds in all dif colors. I done seen a set of svt gauges done in white and it looked awsome. But do what I did and get yyou a gauge face and practice on it cause its easy to F them up. I got a drimle with a small circular wire brush and gently removed the green paint but one one part left it on to long and I got a small hole in hte gauge face :angry: . So is the tac and speedo a 51A as you say terry?

I am just wondering if the green is dark enough to interfere with a bright enough LED. :g: I mean if the LED is bright enough such as blue or red, then the green piece may make the color a tad darker, but the colored LED would still shine through. I did the same with my HVAC controls with the scraping of the green stuff, and I thought I was going to be slick by dapping a toothpick in rubbing alcohol, and not only did the green come off, but the letters and everything else around it. :doh: Anyway, let me know if this is an idea with the LEDs, if not, the guy at www.importcarpartsplus.com I think still makes them in any style with any color LED behind it. B) Later!!

- J.D.

Guest D's nuts

Im afraid not. The paint on hte back is so thick and dark its not going to shine anyother color but green. YOu put a bright enough led behind it and it will be REALLY bright green lol

Im afraid not. The paint on hte back is so thick and dark its not going to shine anyother color but green. YOu put a bright enough led behind it and it will be REALLY bright green lol

Oh well, then check with the website I gave earlier, and see if he can hook you up. He removed some vehicles from his list, but if you contact him, he still makes items for cars not on the list (ie. Ford Contour). Later!!

- J.D.

Well, I have changed the lights in the doors with just an LED a while back, but I am not sure if those LEDs were green or if the paint on the back side of the arrows were green. I think it turned out pretty good. Let me know. Also, I tried to clean up the green on the HVAC controls by using a toothpick and alcohol, but as you can see, it didn't turn out great, so back to square one. BTW, I talked to old boy at importcarpartsplus.com, and he is still doing the Tour, just doesn't have it up on the website. He will also do it in any color you need and he also does the needles. Later!!

- J.D.

post-4787-1196930718_thumb.jpg

post-4787-1196930745_thumb.jpg

post-4787-1196930772_thumb.jpg

post-4787-1196930865_thumb.jpg

post-4787-1196930889_thumb.jpg

As you can see from my previous post, my "HI" on the HVAC controls is almost missing due to my alcohol experiment, but I did get an extra HVAC from the junkyard when a Tour was in there. I just haven't decided if I should go with a red cell (this I can get from my brother who works for Universal Studios as a sound engineer) or if I should go with a wide LED that will be dispersed across the board. Let me know what you think. Later!!

- J.D.

...handbook say 151 is main light switch illumination.All warning lights are a 51A...from the handbook.

Did you ever find out what lamp fits the IP cluster? Not only do all the parts books call for 161, but so does Ford: that is why everyone is confused. A 161 is a T3 1/4 wedge base. The lamps in my 95 Mystique are T2 1/4 wedge base, but the wedge is only 7mm wide. It is 9.5mm wide on the T3 1/4 s. With much ado, I substituted some 73's, which are T1 3/4, with a 4.9mm wedge. They were not as bright, but I used them in indicators.

The only T2 1/4 wedge base I could find was a 1230x, which has a 4.9mm wedge, and will not insert properly into the lamp holder. Cannot identify 151 or 51A.

This is from the Silvania website...

Low beam headlamp

9006SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen

9006ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen

9006XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light

9006CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

High beam headlamp

9005SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen

9005ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen

9005XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light

9005CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

Parking light

2357A

Front turn signal

2357A

Rear turn signal

3157LL

Tail light

3157LL

Stop light

3157LL

High mount stop light

Fog/Driving light

893ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen

License plate

6418LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Back up light

1156LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front sidemarker

2357A

Glove box

168LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Map light

Dome light

Step/Courtesy light

Trunk/Cargo area

Under hood light

Instrument-general

Automatic transmission indicator

This is from the Silvania website...

Low beam headlamp

9006SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen

9006ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen

9006XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light

9006CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

High beam headlamp

9005SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen

9005ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen

9005XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light

9005CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

Parking light

2357A

Front turn signal

2357A

Rear turn signal

3157LL

Tail light

3157LL

Stop light

3157LL

High mount stop light

Fog/Driving light

893ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen

License plate

6418LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Back up light

1156LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front sidemarker

2357A

Glove box

Map light

Dome light

Step/Courtesy light

Trunk/Cargo area

Under hood light

Instrument-general

Automatic transmission indicator

Seems that a lot of folks like to change colors and brightness. Personally I didn't like the brightness of the hi-beam lights indicator so I put a green bulb cover on it, like is on the clock light (98-00). Now it is acceptable for brightness and blue green in color. B)

AF

Every reference I have found, including Ford, says that the 161 bulb goes in all 95 to 00 Contours/Mystiques for dash lights. Only trouble is, my 95 Mystique will not accept 161 bulbs, because they are T3 1/4 wedge. The T3 1/4 wedge is too wide for the bayonet holder. See above post. So, does the 95 Mystique have a unique cluster? Does a 151 or 51a bulb exist?

go to the jy get a hand full $2..... if the bulb doesn't fit the chart is wrong, go with what Terry said. Call a dealer and ask for the ford part number. All tours and stiques are the same bulb 95-00...... well some later ones have this little tiny bulb in the corner I don't know what it goes to. Also don't know why some of the bulbs have pale green bases and others have pink ones they are the same bulb.

my 2 cents

The little bulbs are no more than modified #74 dash bulbs. I normally replace them with #74 and they work fine. I have some LED bulbs around here somewhere I need to fit to mine when I get around to it (probably winter when I do most of my mods).

-Dom