FordContour.Org

installing a remote start on the beast

jarheadoo7

I know my car is old and has a LOT of miles on it. but i think it will be benificial to try to gain some experience and to give the old girl a chance to warm up a littl ebefore hitting the road.

has ayone attempted there own remote start installation.. im sure it depends by type of product.. but if anyone has a claim or reccomendation i would love to hear it before i dig deep into wire taps and blown fueses.

thanks a bunch..

I haven't done one, but you do have a ford cd handy don't you? just in case......

I'm interested in how it goes. I'm sure one may be more compatible than another.......

af

Hey Buddy,

I just thought of this if you have an MTX never park in gear when you are going to use the remote start, and:

Clutch switch disable

Author: Ray McNairy

Applicable to: All manual transmission vehicles

Added: 09/19/2002

Updated: 09/19/2002

The way it works is the clutch switch provides a ground for the starter relay, located in the engine fuze box. What I did was find this wire and splice in another wire that I connected to a ground. First find the C-100 connector, Its the huge one just aft of the air box, before the strut mount. It is held together by a captive bolt at the engine end. Unscrew this bolt and the connector comes apart. Its actually two connectors in series but the engine side is the one you want. Find the Black wire with a yellow tracer in socket number 31 on the connector. Its a small wire and this is the one you want. I removed the end cap for access, spliced in another small wire, soldered it and insulated it. I routed the other end to the vicinity of the cruise control mount, installed an appropriate lug and tied it down. Reassemble/mate the connector and secure via the bolt. Its either a 10 or 8mm hex. If you prefer you can work on the other side of the C-100 connector BUT the wire changes to a black/green wire exiting socket 31.

AF

Hey Buddy,

I just thought of this if you have an MTX never park in gear when you are going to use the remote start, and:

Clutch switch disable

Author: Ray McNairy

Applicable to: All manual transmission vehicles

Added: 09/19/2002

Updated: 09/19/2002

The way it works is the clutch switch provides a ground for the starter relay, located in the engine fuze box. What I did was find this wire and splice in another wire that I connected to a ground. First find the C-100 connector, Its the huge one just aft of the air box, before the strut mount. It is held together by a captive bolt at the engine end. Unscrew this bolt and the connector comes apart. Its actually two connectors in series but the engine side is the one you want. Find the Black wire with a yellow tracer in socket number 31 on the connector. Its a small wire and this is the one you want. I removed the end cap for access, spliced in another small wire, soldered it and insulated it. I routed the other end to the vicinity of the cruise control mount, installed an appropriate lug and tied it down. Reassemble/mate the connector and secure via the bolt. Its either a 10 or 8mm hex. If you prefer you can work on the other side of the C-100 connector BUT the wire changes to a black/green wire exiting socket 31.

AF

I've had remote start on a LOT of my vehicles. It gets kinda cool in the winter here in Michigan. To be honest, I won't try to do the install myself. i used to sell the car with the thing still attached. Now I remove it myself and the installation costs me about 60 bucks. I put 30 or 40,000 miles on a year so I tend to keep my rides for about a year.

Go with the long rang model. The standard ones don't go to far.

The inital puchase cost me around 200 bucks. They advertise the short range, no frills models for aroud $99.

Good luck, Brian.......

I've had remote start on a LOT of my vehicles.

Go with the long rang model. The standard ones don't go to far.

Yeha i have a good one on my truck, i bought a cheap 500 foot range DIY kit on ebay for next to nothing.. so i might hav egotten what i paid for.. but if it workes.. even for a week.. ill be glad i gained the experience from the install.. i really just wanted to buy it to see if i could do it.. i should have some time after finals.. and a garage i can work in so ill post the results then.

thanks for that infot on the MTX Aussie, thankfully mine is an ATX.

Well I'm looking forward to how it goes for you I have been thinking of doing one for my Brides 95 ATX since that way she can get remote entry too.

Good Luck, I'm sure you can do it.

AF

I put one on my 96 tour gl. It was pretty straight forward. Everything's pretty easy to access once you get the tape wrap cut off. Make sure to use the brake defeat switch and the lights are helpful so you know it started. I did neither on mine which made it entertaining cause you could drive the car for 10 minutes without a key but also would have killed my insurance if it were stolen like that.

I put one on my 96 tour gl. It was pretty straight forward. Everything's pretty easy to access once you get the tape wrap cut off. Make sure to use the brake defeat switch and the lights are helpful so you know it started. I did neither on mine which made it entertaining cause you could drive the car for 10 minutes without a key but also would have killed my insurance if it were stolen like that.

didn't the steering column stay locked?

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is where i sit.

I have the Ingition, starter, 12v constant, accessory, ground, brake shutoff switch, hood shutoff switch, and valet shut off switch INSTALLED ready to go.. they were easy.

My probelm is the parking lights, door locks.

First i would like to ask if someone could look up on the Ford CD what color the PARKING LAMP-ON wire is.

The print out i have says Red/Blue - located at the headlight switch... but i have three red/blues coming off my switch and none of them test correctly with my voltmeter or my LED test probe.

also, i checked every wire off that headlight switch, and none of them test like the installation guide says.

I will call technical support tomorrow to see if thye can help but who knows.

Thanks guys! ill keep ya posted.

Well here is where i sit.

I have the Ingition, starter, 12v constant, accessory, ground, brake shutoff switch, hood shutoff switch, and valet shut off switch INSTALLED ready to go.. they were easy.

My probelm is the parking lights, door locks.

First i would like to ask if someone could look up on the Ford CD what color the PARKING LAMP-ON wire is.

The print out i have says Red/Blue - located at the headlight switch... but i have three red/blues coming off my switch and none of them test correctly with my voltmeter or my LED test probe.

also, i checked every wire off that headlight switch, and none of them test like the installation guide says.

I will call technical support tomorrow to see if thye can help but who knows.

Thanks guys! ill keep ya posted.

would you remind an o'l nail banger what year your Tour is? There is some wire color differences among years. In a 95 it is pin #12. In looking at the connector it is numbered from Rt to Lf, and bottom to top. So #12 of 15 would be on the top row second from Rt. According to my disc that is the only pin used in that row. Hope that helps my friend.

AF

Edited by Aussie Ford

Thanks for the help,

I called technical support and they directed me to the right spot..

after i hooked the lights up and programed the remote.. it wouldnt start..

im not one to give up so easily but its december and its really cold out,

if anyone wants the unit to mess with, everything is included, no missing parts.. ten bucks plus shipping takes it home..

Thanks to all for your help!

Edited by jarheadoo7