V8 SHO Resurrection

spridget

I bought this '98 SHO for $500 back in August. I had met the owner when I picked up a free junked Taurus wagon. He stated that the car suffered from the infamous Yamaha V8 cam failure at 99k miles, the intake and valve covers had been removed for inspection, but everything was there. I hauled the car off and began searching for a replacement engine. The replacement engine was from a '96 in Michigan with 90k miles purchased for $1500. It was in a running, wrecked car. I had the engine sent off to have the cams welded before delivery.

Once I began tearing into the car, it became apparent that not all the parts were here. Many parts could not be reused as they were worn out. The $500 car became a $2500 nightmare. The idler pulleys were badly rusted, the alternator was cracked and frozen, the harmonic balancer was rusted and flaking. All of these parts are SHO specific and expensive when found. Idler pulleys are $75 each (there are 3) and only available from Ford. I modified some $15 V6 OHC Taurus pulleys instead. I found that the Windstar used the same alternator and purchased a new one from eBay. The serpentine belt had to be replaced with one about 1" longer. Inner and outer tie rods, sway bar endlinks and bushings, lower control arms, ball joints, hubs, and motor mounts have all been replaced with new parts. 3 of the 8 coils were missing.... at $80 each. I purchased a set of 4 from another SHO owner for $100 and got the blacked out side markers as a gift. I sanded the subframe completely and repainted in gloss black. A 6" rust hole had formed on the right inner fender. I believe the car was from the Gulf Coast as it has some rust spots in unusual places... not in places you'd expect from a northern car.

I deleted EGR, SAI, secondary butterflies, and throttle body warmer. The y-pipe was missing, so I replaced it with a custom catless y-pipe. The 3rd cat remains. The flex pipe was also missing, so the muffler shop is building a piece along with installing some MagnaFlow mufflers.

I finished it yesterday. The tags are 2 years expired, so no driving it legally until I get it insured, registered, and inspected.

80607bsho.jpg

09180001.JPG

09180004.JPG

11200004.JPG

11290005.JPG

11290004.JPG

11290003.JPG

ahh those are nice cars. I remember the one Dom and I put a motor in..... that was a fun treat. Looks good man nice cars but to expensive to keep fixing.

Billy

I got the car back from the muffler shop. He installed some old MagnaFlows I had on my '99 Taurus. I have a cat-less y-pipe and MagnaFlows, and the car sounds awesome. It's not loud, just a low burble. Low enough that it's not annoying but still sets of car alarms. I love it!

So far it's running very well despite the secondaries and IMRC being removed without tuning. I gotta wait until next pay check before I can order a XCal2 and tuning.

The car is gonna get the POS fast beater treatment.... some weight reduction, some hood louvers (these V8's are known for excessive heat trapped at the firewall), and some flat black paint.

Guest D's nuts

Hmmm I just read on wikpedia or w/e that the V8 sho shairs the same bellhousing as the 2.5 duratec. Which would mean you can hook up a 5-speed in the sho v8! Is that something yo would want to do spridget????

When you started that thing looked better on the trailer behind your Dakota than in your garage.

What is the cam welding thing you mentioned? and is there one SHO year that is better than another?

Did Ford do the same thing to them in removing options over the production years that they did to our Tours?

Bet it's fun now.

Merry Christmas,

AF

Guest D's nuts
When you started that thing looked better on the trailer behind your Dakota than in your garage.

What is the cam welding thing you mentioned? and is there one SHO year that is better than another?

Did Ford do the same thing to them in removing options over the production years that they did to our Tours?

Bet it's fun now.

Merry Christmas,

AF

The V8 SHO's are prone to breaking the cam gears. So some people weld them to the shaft so they wont break. I would say the earlier V6 sho's are better than the new ones. Just cause they are smaller and come with a stick. Although im not 100% sure they are better than the v8 I just hear more problems about the V8

The V8 SHO's are prone to breaking the cam gears. So some people weld them to the shaft so they wont break. I would say the earlier V6 sho's are better than the new ones. Just cause they are smaller and come with a stick. Although im not 100% sure they are better than the v8 I just hear more problems about the V8

Thanks, just curious.......

What kind of problems with the v8's anything specific?

Guest D's nuts

Well really the main thing I hear about is the cam sprocket breaking. Which seems to be very common. Im sure theres other things that im un-aware of

Edited by D's nuts

Well really the main thing I hear about is the cam sprocket breaking. Which seems to be very common. Im sure theres other things that im un-aware of

So then the fix for that is puling the cam's out and welding the sprocket to it, rebalancing it and the reinstall, etc. Hmmmm you'd think they would have come out with a better sprocket wouldn't you.

Ford would never admit to the problem, and making stronger cam's would be doing just that. Yay ford! haha.

FAIK therers 2 v8 show's with 5 speeds? Not sure though. There are a couple super/turbocharged ones.

And yes, they almost literally the 2.5 with 2 extra cylinders. Think ford sent yamaha that v6 to make the v8. Yamaha actually sent a more powerful engine than what ford put in the 3rd gen sho's. They detuned it a little. Hear they did it more on the v6 shos, yamaha pretty much sent them an F1 engine with those and ford panicked and detuned them a lot. One of the two, havn't kept up on my sho knowledge in a couple years. Actually a lot of history on these engines. Really want(ed) one bad till I got the svt. Still will probably get the v8 in a few years with the svt is mostly paid off. If there are any v8's left with under 120k :(

Edited by TheJcode

the 89-95 V6 SHO's are lighter, have an MTX-IV (which is as weak as our MTX-75), and make around 220hp stock. Ford basically sent Yamaha the iron block Vulcan and Yamaha designed a set of heads for head. DOHC with DAMB and IMRC with true dual runners. When the Taurus was redesigned for '96, the car was larger and heavier, but much more rigid. V8 designed a narrow angle, small bore V8, again with DOHC, DAMB, and IMRC, however it is not true dual runner. The engine is rated at 235hp stock.

The bell housing bolt pattern is nearly the same. One owner did fab a MTX-75, but later switched to a Mazda 6 spd. The bore and stroke of the V8 is the same as the 2.5L Duratec. It shares the same rods, although I've never heard of a V8 SHO spinning it's rod bearings. They suffer from a poorly designed cam sprocket. The exhaust cam is driven by a small chain attached to a second sprocket on the intake cam. The sprockets are swedged onto a spline cam shaft. The splines fail and the cam spins freely, damaging the exhaust valves (interference engine). Most failures are reported between 60-100k miles. Ford released a couple TSB's on the issue, but otherwise ignored SHO owners and refused to acknowledge the problem. Welding the cam sprockets eliminates the issue.

As with the Contour, the '96 Taurus had many features that were decontented as the model aged. The '96 SHO has many options not found in later years. While working on this '98 SHO, I found a '96 SHO for sale locally. It has nearly 200k miles before it's front exhaust cam failed. The '98 suffered from a rear bank failure. I was able to talk the owner down to $750 for the '96. I'm going to use the good front head from the dead '98 engine to repair the '96.

Here is a pic of the '98 after it returned from the exhaust shop. I needed a 12" section installed between the y-pipe and 3rd cat as well as MagnaFlow mufflers. It sounds great. Also, some pics of the '96. 200k miles but it's in better shape than the '98.

11300001.JPG

11210009.JPG

11210010.JPG

Thanks for that info fellas. Sounds like you got your self a couple of fun toys there. Does it also need to run on Premium gas?

Guest D's nuts

" Ford's 3.4 L SHO V8 is related to the 2.5 L Mondeo/contour V6. Each cylinder uses the same bore and stroke as the 2.5, but this engine was never officially referred to with the Duratec name.Bore and stroke were identical to the Duratec 25 at 82.4 mm and 79.5 mm, respectively. The engines shared other traits as well, and insiders report that the designs are related, though not closely.One sign of such similarity is that the two engines share the same bell housing pattern.Manufacturing was also a shared process. Ford manufactured the aluminum engine blocks, using a patented Cosworth process, at their Windsor, Ontario plant, then shipped them to Japan for finishing by Yamaha. The finished engines were shipped back to the Taurus plant in Atlanta, Georgia for installation"

So if they have the same bell housing is that something you might want to tackle spridget?

Yes, they run premium.

So if they have the same bell housing is that something you might want to tackle spridget?

Hell no!!! At least not until the AX4N craters. Damn, more money dumped into a worthless car... I already have 3 Contours and 3 other Taurus's for that.... I don't need another money pit. It's plenty fun just the way it is and isn't costing me anything (yet).