too much oil?

imnotacop420

whats the worst that could happen?

I was changing oil in the daily driver (97 civic 4-door....boy do I miss the SVT!) got everything changed, fired up the car, then oil starts squirting everywhere. After making a mess of the driveway I take a look at whats going on. Its squirting from the filter, I know it was on there tight! I take it off, remove the gasket, make sure its pressed in nice and tight, and put it back on. While im doing this I sent the GF to get some more oil. Check the dipstick, the oil is just above the very bottom. It only takes about 3.5 quarts of oil (wtf?) so I put in 3 quarts. start it up, no leaks (woohooo), check the oil and its WAY above full. check a couple more times, still WAY above normal. So, whats the worst that could happen? I would have to say its about 1 quart too full.

.........time to clean the driveway :angry:

thanks

You have to check the oil level when the car's been sitting idle for about half-an-hour. If you start it up, the oil moves and goes all over the dipstick.

Check the level when the car's been sitting on a leveled surface. Once you start it, you won't get an accurate level.

If the max. capacity is 3.5 quarts, add 3 quarts and check the level before you add the remaining 1/2 because it's always easier to add oil than remove it.

Also, don't over-tighten the filter. It's about 3/4 of a turn after the filter's surface touches the engine block. Make sure that you lubricate the oil filter gasket with a drop of oil before you install the filter.

You have to check the oil level when the car's been sitting idle for about half-an-hour. If you start it up, the oil moves and goes all over the dipstick.

Check the level when the car's been sitting on a leveled surface. Once you start it, you won't get an accurate level.

If the max. capacity is 3.5 quarts, add 3 quarts and check the level before you add the remaining 1/2 because it's always easier to add oil than remove it.

Also, don't over-tighten the filter. It's about 3/4 of a turn after the filter's surface touches the engine block. Make sure that you lubricate the oil filter gasket with a drop of oil before you install the filter.

its not the first time i have changed oil........

knowing that its a lot easier to add more than take some out whats the worst that can happen? I know its not uncommon for people on here to add an extra .5 quarts or so when it comes to the duratec, so is it anything to be concerned about? should i drain it out? will it cause any harm being a little too full?

You need to drain it out. When the sump is overfilled, you increase the load on the engine (crank shaft sloshing through oil) and risk engine failure (crank shaft beats the oil into a foam, ruins the bearings).

its not the first time i have changed oil........

knowing that its a lot easier to add more than take some out whats the worst that can happen? I know its not uncommon for people on here to add an extra .5 quarts or so when it comes to the duratec, so is it anything to be concerned about? should i drain it out? will it cause any harm being a little too full?

Sorry, misread your post. I should have read the last sentence properly.

Spridget is right. Basically, it applies to any fluid. Don't overfill it. I've read everywhere that it's equally bad to have more fluid as it is to have less.

• 2 weeks later...