FordContour.Org

Tran problem

ric

98 Contour, 2.5 mtx. All of a sudden I can not shift my trans. It's stuck in I believe 4th. The shifter just shift into all the gears w/out pressing the clutch, though the clutch still works and engages/disengages the trans from the motor.

I looked below & the tran levers are moving as the shifter goes through the gears; just doesn't do anything.

The car has 160k, engine is fine though the past few months I have to be carefull as I shift into 5th, as I hear the gears clash. Just recently, 4th gear started to do the same thing, though only if I tried shifting quickly.

I suspect a new tran is needed, but not sure it's worth it.

Though the car feels like it runs quite well, along with this, I believe the right front wheel bearing also needs to be replaced & the check engine light is illunminated, I had the codes but can't find them right now. I'm pretty sure an O2 sensor bank 1 & 2.

Any comment would be appreciated

Thanks

...sounds like 'The Bolt' ha gone on the shifter tower...Take a look on my forum and you will see many posts/info about it.

Try here....

http://www.fordcontour.org/Shift-Tower-Turret-T-t7428.html

and maybe here.....

www.fordcontour.org/stuck-2nd-gear-t8826.html&hl=tower+bolt

Doesn't sound so good. How difficult is it to remove the tower, and I believe it's not in 5th, (prob in 3rd or 4th) which I guess complicates this. Also what is the cost to replace the bolt with the method you recommend?

I guess if I keep this car, it would be better replacing the transmission as I believe the 5th gear scyncos are going ( I think)

Any tricks to finding the bolt head in the transmission without removing it & shaking it upside down? :-)

Thanks again for your comments.

First off the chances of removing the tower from the trans with it in gear are slim to none.Some have levered it off but that will damage the detent fork cage in the tower.'If' you are able to get it out you can fish with a magnet for the bolt head.Don't leave it in or it can get caught in gears and punch out thru the trans casing...HOLE!!!

Only other option is to pull the trans and open it up for the broken bolt head.If you need some info on a rebuild or modding the tower,if you are able to get it out,e mail me.

My take on this for many years has been 'Don't risk it!'..Every MTX75 should have our tower mod with the key .Even a genuine Ford replacement bolt will go again in time.

These bolts are failing everywhere...Don't wait,contact HMS for the mod BEFORE it goes...