FordContour.Org

Which Forged Connecting Rods for Turbo 3.0?

CrewChiefPro

With a newer 3.0 coming to replace the existing one, and all the talk of connecting rod issues, what Forged or other type Rods should I be using? I did a search here on Forged Connecting Rods but did not find any recommendations.

Current engine was making 360+ at the wheels. New engine will make the same, just want it to live.

The reason the search for forged rods comes up short is because there are only a few suppliers. The most popular (albeit expensive) is Pauter. I heard that Nautilus is selling rods, but no one can vouch for them or who makes them (chinese knockoffs :bleh: ??). I would check out the sources carefully before ordering. Pauter offers 2.5L rods:

Pauter Rods Online

I would check with them on the 3.0L application.

-Dom

chinese knockoffs :bleh: ??.

If K1 Technologies makes them and they are Chinese, at least when I did my research on them long ago. They may or may not be made stateside now, doubt it though.

You want a nice, expensive set of rods?? http://www.arrowprecision.co.uk/details.php?id=66784 - $1800 big ones!!

Edited by rac74

Were you running on stock rods before? What happened to your last motor? Gathering info from that may better understand what the issue is.

I was on the highway at around 70 mph for about 20 miles. No advanced warning at all, it just tossed a rod through the block and siezed up. This was a 2004 3.0 from a Taurus basically stock except SVT cams and intake. I was really bummed, this was the most entertaining car I have ever owned besides my dragster.

The previous owner had everything done by Joey at NPG. He gave me a 3 month warranty so he paid for a new engine. Now I want it done right.

Don

Joey at NPG. It just tossed a rod through the block and siezed up.

Where haven't I heard that combo before? Oh yeah, at least your's made it down the road and you were able to enjoy it before it completely quit.

-Dom

well no offense but that's what you usually get when you run up over 350 WHP with stock pistons and rods.

joey at nautilus sells everything you need to make it bulletproof.

pauter rods are made of 4340 chrome-moly steel, and are just over 1200$ to buy, correct me if i'm wrong please guys

the NPG rods are made by a hardly known company, are much cheaper, but are made of 4349.

i guess you get what you pay for, but either option should take you over 400HP easily.

well no offense but that's what you usually get when you run up over 350 WHP with stock pistons and rods.

You usually get a blown up engine while cruising at 60 mph on the highway? :huh:

Im pretty sure there are other factors that cuased it to blow up than just stock rods and pistons. Would forged rods and pistons have helped, most likely. But this motor had problems ever since he got it.

if that's the silver one i'm thinking of, it's already on motor number 3. joey put it all together and turned the manual boost controller too many turns and it spiked the boost guage and threw a rod or two through the block. LOL. sounds like a cursed engine bay!

if that's the silver one i'm thinking of, it's already on motor number 3. joey put it all together and turned the manual boost controller too many turns and it spiked the boost guage and threw a rod or two through the block. LOL. sounds like a cursed engine bay!

Yes its that one. The motor that is going into it right now is going to be #3, to my knowledge. The first one Joey blew up on the dyno, and I think he might have hurt the second one on the dyno too. I dont think the engine bay is/was the problem.

it was a joke. laugh a little :bleh:

good luck with the new build. since you guys are going for big power on the 3.0T, you might wanna look into the Noble oil squirter system. i think only one person is running this on a contour, and that would be livinSVT. it would have to stay oval port though, i do believe.

After reading this it seems like a cursed engine builder to me. :blink:

I do hope for his case the 3rd times a charm.

...strange how that doesn't seem to happen on 3.0 Noble 400+ HP 'built' engines with forged internals etc...If it did I don't think many customers would be happy with 3 engines to get it right.

None of these engines had forged internals.

How much does a Noble engine cost? Ive heard upwards of $5000.

We havent had to pay for any of the engines, but he does miss driving the car.

...whats your time and energy worth for multiple engine swaps on the same car!!!....I'm sure it's good practice but I think you would get a bit sick of it in the end??? :unsure:

1. We have only had this car for 3 months.

2. This is the first time we have had a motor problem

3. We arent doing the engine swaps

So the only thing that stinks is the fact that he cant drive his car right now.

• 2 weeks later...
...strange how that doesn't seem to happen on 3.0 Noble 400+ HP 'built' engines with forged internals etc...If it did I don't think many customers would be happy with 3 engines to get it right.

Why the heck hasn't anyone dropped one into our platform,is cost the issue or just ignorance?Is there many differences between theirs and ours?

Edited by SVTDEMON

Why the heck hasn't anyone dropped one into our platform,is cost the issue or just ignorance?Is there many differences between theirs and ours?

some was planning to. he has two 99 t-green SVTS, both have less then 35k on them. one was going to be bone stock and the other the evil twin. He purchsed a noble engine and got the last ADC turbo kit. hasn't built it yet and he might of put the engine of for sale last year or something, I don't recall at this time.

If you use a Noble built 3.0 then it's best to use the turbo kits from turbohoses.com and the calibration/tune that matches that set up.Contact Hoover at t/hoses,he is the calibration expert for all Noble turbo setups,VERY smart engineer.With a very good suspension set up you can get that power down on the road.