FordContour.Org

Taurus SHO Returns with 365HP EcoBoost V6

BuckeyeSVT

This is how I see it.

Our cars won't last forever. They'll either be wrecked by the driver or someone else. And it's not a shining example of Ford's legacy as the CDW 27s got canned. AND it's not like the AUTOs in this car are the greatest thing in the world either.

Ford is making some nice looking cars and you guys are knocking it? :doh: That's what I'm really surprised about.

I agree on the price issue but otherwise it's a damn nice car. You can probably take $1300 off just on labor (union) alone!

I'll make a point, SVTDemon, when you get your 3L in don't come crying to me when you get your butt whipped by one of these.

Ford guys knocking on Ford products. Really. (SNL Really ?!)

Shame on Ford for trying to make the Taurus have a better status and reputation. :oops:

Edited by Rikenbomb

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how I see it.

Our cars won't last forever. They'll either be wrecked by the driver or someone else. And it's not a shining example of Ford's legacy as the CDW 27s got canned. AND it's not like the AUTOs in this car are the greatest thing in the world either.

Ford is making some nice looking cars and you guys are knocking it? :doh: That's what I'm really surprised about.

I agree on the price issue but otherwise it's a damn nice car. You can probably take $1300 off just on labor (union) alone!

I'll make a point, SVTDemon, when you get your 3L in don't come crying to me when you get your butt whipped by one of these.

Ford guys knocking on Ford products. Really. (SNL Really ?!)

Shame on Ford for trying to make the Taurus have a better status and reputation. :oops:

I could get my but whipped by a car that has and extra 150hp to the ground than mine,No way!Also no one said that these cars are ugly or don't have good performance.40,000$ for a ford sedan,I doubt I will see any on the road anytime soon let alone driven by a person that knows how to drive! :lol:

I could get my but whipped by a car that has and extra 150hp to the ground than mine,No way!Also no one said that these cars are ugly or don't have good performance.40,000$ for a ford sedan,I doubt I will see any on the road anytime soon let alone driven by a person that knows how to drive! :lol:

I bet you will by a paddle shifter. Take those new Evo's for example. Paddle shifter, guess all of them don't know how to drive one. :wink:

One could be ignorant and assume that a person that doesn't know how to drive stick doesn't know how to drive well. I would point to another reason to think twice... the "Point and Shoot" factor. Think about it, 365HP with AWD and automatic trans? What type of brain power does it take to floor the accelerator and destroy you. There is no thought in it, no shifting or rev limits to obey... Nothing. Honestly, saying that someone can't drive a car like that compared to a car with 150 less HP is retarded. Ever see any of the Transporter movies? If not, watch closely.

-Dom

I bet you will by a paddle shifter. Take those new Evo's for example. Paddle shifter, guess all of them don't know how to drive one. :wink:

Same reason I took my deposit off the new R32,no sixspeed. :lol: Or take the reason why the new skyline doesn't have a stick,owners would be out there killing themselves.Are you a betting man?

One could be ignorant and assume that a person that doesn't know how to drive stick doesn't know how to drive well. I would point to another reason to think twice... the "Point and Shoot" factor. Think about it, 365HP with AWD and automatic trans? What type of brain power does it take to floor the accelerator and destroy you. There is no thought in it, no shifting or rev limits to obey... Nothing. Honestly, saying that someone can't drive a car like that compared to a car with 150 less HP is retarded. Ever see any of the Transporter movies? If not, watch closely.

-Dom

Did you miss the sarcasm?

I have yet to read a bad review from automobile experts. The only negative comments about the car so far have been on chat forums like these. Mostly from ignorant people that judge the looks or the quality without actually having seen one in person. This may well be the car that saves Ford all over again (along with the Fusion Hybrid).

I think the new Fusion will go a long long way towards saving Ford. And even the new Taurus will help, personally I would go for the Fusion, or a mercury version if they add some more luxury options. My biggest complaint with the SHO is it's price, and maybe it'e because I think it's gotten too big & would be happy with a midsize sedan, but that price treads too close to cars that out class it in luxury & recognition. I just think they should have priced it at 34/35k rather than 38k... I know it's not a big change, but the perceived amounts are low 30k vs almost 40k.

I think the new Fusion will go a long long way towards saving Ford. And even the new Taurus will help, personally I would go for the Fusion, or a mercury version if they add some more luxury options. My biggest complaint with the SHO is it's price, and maybe it'e because I think it's gotten too big & would be happy with a midsize sedan, but that price treads too close to cars that out class it in luxury & recognition. I just think they should have priced it at 34/35k rather than 38k... I know it's not a big change, but the perceived amounts are low 30k vs almost 40k.

I've seen alot of complaints about the $38k price tag in the forums. People balked at the $20k price tag of the SHO in 1988 too. If you consider the amount of gadgetry, tech, and performance, versus the inflation and competition, $38k is a bargain. Also, don't forget that the SHO is a limited production model. The SHO is not going to save Ford, the Taurus may. It is a big sedan, it's a "flagship." The Fusion is a better size for a "sport sedan."

Look at some comparisons....

Lexus GS460 RWD V8 342hp $53.3k

Cadillac STS AWD V8 320hp $68.9k

Infinity M45 AWD V8 325hp $54.6k

Acura RL AWD V6 300hp $46.2

Hyundai Genesis RWD V8 375hp $37.2k

Audi A6 AWD V6t 300hp $50.1k

Audi A4 AWD V6 265hp $40.4k

Dodge Charger R/T AWD V8 368hp $33.9k

M-Benz C300 Sport AWD V6 228hp $36.2k

M-Benz E350 AWD V6 268hp $53.5k

Ford Taurus SHO AWD V6tt 365hp $38k

All big sedans, mostly with AWD within the price range. Don't even bother comparing Audi S models, they price is way out of range. The only cars in my list that beat the SHO in horsepower are the Charger and the Genesis. Have you seen the build quality of the Chargers? Pitiful. I have not looked at the Genesis yet, and while I believe it's very good value, I think it's ugly, and it still has the stigma of being a Hyundai.

it still has the stigma of being a Hyundai.

And you don't think Ford has a stigma??? Many people around me think American cars are crap and refuse to buy anything that isn't an import.... And the cars competition depends on what you are looking at, if you just look at $40k Sedans it doesn't stand up as well EXCEPT for in the performance & Full size vs Mid size.... personally I think the new Taurus is getting to be too big.

I still want to see how many times it is recalled in the first 6 months!

I've seen alot of complaints about the $38k price tag in the forums. People balked at the $20k price tag of the SHO in 1988 too. If you consider the amount of gadgetry, tech, and performance, versus the inflation and competition, $38k is a bargain. Also, don't forget that the SHO is a limited production model. The SHO is not going to save Ford, the Taurus may. It is a big sedan, it's a "flagship." The Fusion is a better size for a "sport sedan."

Look at some comparisons....

All big sedans, mostly with AWD within the price range. Don't even bother comparing Audi S models, they price is way out of range. The only cars in my list that beat the SHO in horsepower are the Charger and the Genesis. Have you seen the build quality of the Chargers? Pitiful. I have not looked at the Genesis yet, and while I believe it's very good value, I think it's ugly, and it still has the stigma of being a Hyundai.

Excellent comparisons. You did an even better job at what I was trying to get at. People are forgetting that this (Just like the SVT Contour) will be a limited production run. Given this economic situation I wouldn't be surprised if there's just a few hundred are made a year. Imo this is an excellent daily driver.

And you don't think Ford has a stigma??? Many people around me think American cars are crap and refuse to buy anything that isn't an import.... And the cars competition depends on what you are looking at, if you just look at $40k Sedans it doesn't stand up as well EXCEPT for in the performance & Full size vs Mid size.... personally I think the new Taurus is getting to be too big.

No, you're absolutely correct. Ford is stigmatized too.

Ok, so look at just $35k-45k full size sedans... please explain how the Taurus SHO doesn't stand up as well.

Audi A4, Acura TL, Buick Lucerne, Cadillac CTS, M-Benz C class, Pontiac G8 GXP, Volkswagan Passat and CC, Saab 9-5, Volvo S80 T6, and Infinity G37x.

Of all those, the only one that stands out as direct competition for quality, comfort, performance, and value is the G37x.

No, you're absolutely correct. Ford is stigmatized too.

Ok, so look at just $35k-45k full size sedans... please explain how the Taurus SHO doesn't stand up as well.

Audi A4, Acura TL, Buick Lucerne, Cadillac CTS, M-Benz C class, Pontiac G8 GXP, Volkswagan Passat and CC, Saab 9-5, Volvo S80 T6, and Infinity G37x.

Of all those, the only one that stands out as direct competition for quality, comfort, performance, and value is the G37x.

I don't agree, I would say the A4, CTS, C300, G8, G37x and 335xi all give it good competition if not beat the SHO in many cases for quality, comfort, options, resale value, brand recognition, and value over 4 - 5 years. A few of the cars will be able to give the SHO a good run for it's money on performance. It will probably have a higher cost to own over 4 or 5 years than a couple of the cars listed. I think the SHO will fall middle of the pack overall, and at or near the top for performance. For gear heads it will be awesome, for the general public it will be good, but not quite great...

The SHO stacks up very well against, things like the E-Class, 5 series, M45, etc. And it will probably sell pretty well. But I honestly think there are much better options for the near $40k price tag. That is just my opinion, because I would much rather own a new CTS, 335xi, G37x, or even a Mercedes C300 than a Ford Taurus on steroids.... Don't get me wrong I think it's a good car, and I have a 97 SHO, that I picked up for under $1500 and it was a great DD, but I think it is slightly overpriced..... But that,s what haggling & rebates are for I suppose :)

Please don't think I'm putting down the car, because overall I think it's good, even with the price tag. I realize people thought the 20k for the original SHO was high, but it still sold great, so the same thing may happen. But I won't be one of the people buying a new one for $40k.... Maybe a used one in a few years to replace my current SHO B)

Edited by Slow Cat

Ok lets see how long it takes me to piss someone off.

First to even consider buying a Jap car in this day and age shows me just how Anti-AMERICAN someone is. Screw the argument that they are built in the USA, the profits still go to a foreign company in a foreign country. The cost of maintaining one is almost with out exception more expensive than the comparable American car.

As to the Taurus SHO, it's way out of my ball park. As for its Buck Rogers bells and whistles no thank you, I still enjoy driving my own car. I don't need a back up camera, or an irritating alarm going off if a car gets near me. But I'm sure the Latte slurping, cell phone yakking sheeple on the road today will welcome them.

If Ford wants to bring great cars over here, why not the Focus RS. How about the 365hp EcoBoost with a 5 or 6 speed MANUAL in a Fusion, that would be hot.

I don't need all the bells and whistles either. That's why I own half a dozen 10+yr old Fords. Electric windows and A/C are about the only feature I really want. Thankfully, many of the features available on the 2010 SHO are optional.

Ford has a huge hill to climb to convince the buying public that their products are as good or better than the foreign competition. I think Ford is poised to take the lead in the Big 3. I feel the same way as MaddMike when it comes to patriotic car buying. People complain that our jobs are being outsourced overseas while driving a foreign car.

It's hard for me to appear unbiased when I own 3 Taurus's ('96 SHO, '98 SHO, '99 SE). I sold my '97 Taurus Wagon last fall. The '98 SHO is tentatively sold to a guy in Oklahoma who should be flying down to drive it home at the end of this month. I don't think they are great cars, far from it. They are crap, but they are not junk. They do everything I need them to do and they are inexpensive. I haven't had a car payment in years. The only car cheaper to insure is the Crown Victoria.

Ford is showing that they can build a car for the masses that can compete with the imports and other vehicles in a class where they normally don't compete. The first SHO was a niche vehicle, it wasn't designed to compete with anything else. The first gen Taurus SHO's were in no way a "World Car" and that's what Ford has strived to do with the new iteration. Keep in mind, Ma and Pa Kettle don't need 75% of the features on the car (SHO) however they won't opt to buy the car because they don't need the TT EcoBoost engine either. Those that think it's overkill obviously don't need it... that's good, I'm sure there's a Taurus GL model that's plenty stripped for your tastes (and costs about $18K less to boot). This thread is about the SHO only, I really don't care to read all the negative comments about how it's over-priced or the features it has that no one needs... That's stupid. Really, like we are going to seriously compare a 2010 Taurus SHO to a 2000 Contour SVT... :rolleyes: C'mon please!

First off, if you had $40K and were in the market for a 4dr Sport Sedan the SHO would be a contender. As I see it, Ford is making huge strives towards rebuilding their customer base and repairing their image to the American public with the new cars... (i.e. Focus, Fusion, Taurus, Edge, and Flex). Ford is all about image... The Mustang says that best. It may not have the most power of all the similar cars - But it has a face that is instantly recognizable and liked world wide. See if GM produces a car that has that recognition for the Mustang price tag (Camaro doesn't count, and as it sits with another bailout of $9.4BILLION DOLLARS) I think they honestly should shelf that project and concentrate on something that will actually sell in volume - Not another niche vehicle (which is Chrysler's domain). Remember, Ford has a great face in Austrailia, Europe and overseas. Here is where they have a poor image, when people think of Ford here they don't think Contour or Taurus... They think Pinto and Tempo. Yuk... What a great thing to think there. Those two cars were massive piles of shiz... Plain jane transportation that wasn't even remotely reliable. How would you counter that?

Have you driven a Ford lately?... Hmm...

-Dom

Have you driven a Ford lately?... Hmm...

-Dom

As a matter of fact I have. :D

I drive a Ford product every day. For the last 2.5 months it's either been my dad's 01 Grand Mark or Sonya's 07 Fusion. They both do what they were intended to do, get you from point A to point B. They are both dependable and decent automobiles. My point about the SHO is with the economy the way it is and the way it is going to stay for a while not many people are going to be able to afford one at 38K.

With the economy the way it is, hopefully the same people that would normally be looking at BMW 5 series, or big Benz's with V8's will purchase the much lower priced but similarly equipped and equal performer Taurus SHO. A $38k car is not priced for the masses. The SHO is not intended to be. It's a flagship... I dunno why that's difficult for some to understand. It's Ford's big, fast, bloated, high featured icon car. The masses will have to settle for the base model. The way it should be. There are still plenty of people out there that can comfortably afford a $40k car. The SHO crushes the competition in that segment. True to the original SHO. It was a niche car when "sport sedans" were virtually unheard of. The only thing comparable in '88 was a BMW 535is.

With the economy the way it is, hopefully the same people that would normally be looking at BMW 5 series, or big Benz's with V8's will purchase the much lower priced but similarly equipped and equal performer Taurus SHO. A $38k car is not priced for the masses. The SHO is not intended to be. It's a flagship... I dunno why that's difficult for some to understand. It's Ford's big, fast, bloated, high featured icon car. The masses will have to settle for the base model. The way it should be. There are still plenty of people out there that can comfortably afford a $40k car. The SHO crushes the competition in that segment. True to the original SHO. It was a niche car when "sport sedans" were virtually unheard of. The only thing comparable in '88 was a BMW 535is.

Exactly. This is for those that are thinking, "Should I buy an (Fill in a competitive vehicle here, like M3, A/S4, G37x, etc.) when I can get this much from an SHO. Interesting." I doubt most people here are those kind of people. Where I work at, believe me there are those kind of people.

Ford is looking to detract possible Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Infinity, Cadillac buyers into getting a souped up Ford. Whether or not "It's just a Taurus" isn't the point as this is Hardly "Just a Taurus". In fact the new Taurus is Hardly , "Just a Taurus" anymore. Ford is getting out of that mindset. You should too.

In fact, given this current economic situation, the Taurus SHO will look FAR more attractive for buyers. Actually the entire Ford lineup is looking attractive. Why?

The Fusion, looks very attractive and is priced competitively well. Priced well at the high teens to low-mid 20s for higher models.

The Taurus, priced well at the mid- to high twenties with high end models in the 30s

The Mustang. Still the icon and priced over 1-2k over it's competitors. Still the best bang for the buck.

...I think the chances of a current BMW,Benz etc owner taking a look at a Taurus SHO as a replacement are slim to none.Maybe a buyer who was THINKING about a BMW,Benz etc ...but an existing owner to replace his BMW,Benz with a a Ford...no chance...or very slim at best....

Bottom line is that Ford needs to sell vehicles to remain in operation. This is like a salvo shot to the rest of the competitors in the auto industry. They are the only American manufacturer that isn't receiving any bailout, the same cannot be said for the other 2 or even BMW. BMW is receiving some bailout from Germany because they are having rough times as well. To that end, you want to see the most competitive company stay strong. In order to do that it needs to SELL cars. Just because we have 1995-2000 Contour's/Mystiques and 1999-2002 Cougars that doesn't do anything for Ford RIGHT NOW. We bought a Fusion SE V6 in 2007 and the wife is now thinking about trading it for a new Edge. Again, yes - Some Ford people are loyal like BMW people. But money talks, everyone is hurting from the economic downturn - Even Mr. Well To Do driving his Benz or Bimmer. In the end, sales count - Profit keeps businesses in business.

And in 1988, I honestly wouldn't buy a Taurus SHO. They were too clunky and heavy. A friend of mine bought a Nissan Maxima SE (The Four Door Sport Sedan) as it was called back in that era.... And that car impressed. If I was in the market for something like a SHO - I probably would've ended up with a Maxima. Their reputation is stellar and they run forever. The same could not be said for the SHO. Don't we all know.

-Dom

...to me car choice ,in the end,can come down to class and some 'snob' value.As we know many Contour owners have traded up to say a used BMW or even a Benz in some cases.I for one wanted a 'younger' daily driver with a stick...To that end my choice was either a Focus or the Jag X Type...even looked at mazda,subi etc etc...Our main factor was,as my wife will NOT drive an auto at any price,was the Jag.Not for status but mainly for the manual option in that size of car...AWD was a bonus...

And in 1988, I honestly wouldn't buy a Taurus SHO. They were too clunky and heavy. A friend of mine bought a Nissan Maxima SE (The Four Door Sport Sedan) as it was called back in that era.... And that car impressed. If I was in the market for something like a SHO - I probably would've ended up with a Maxima. Their reputation is stellar and they run forever. The same could not be said for the SHO. Don't we all know.

220hp and 2900lbs too heavy? The Gen 1 SHO was the lightest of the bunch. Too light really. The stock brakes are crap, the rear subframe is thin and weak, only 1 airbag, and I'm not sure if they even had side impact door beams back then. I race with the Lone Star SHO club a couple times a year. Scott's Gen 1 with nearly 300k miles, all stock, all original, is neck and neck with my '99 3L Contour. I usually have to let him pass because I'm just not as crazy as he is. The mildly modded SHOs will walk away from me, and a couple of the heavily modded SHOs stomp just about anything. Not bad for a 20yr old grocery getter. Murph's Gen 2 is supercharged and ran 168mph in a standing mile last year. Considering he's only got $15,000 invested in the car and outrunning brand new Vipers, it's a bargain thrill ride.

That said, yeah, I'd take an older Maxima over an older SHO anyday. Nissan build quality was superior at the time. Most importantly, the gear boxes in the Max are much tighter.

...Our main factor was,as my wife will NOT drive an auto at any price,was the Jag.Not for status but mainly for the manual option in that size of car...AWD was a bonus...

Where did you find this gal, not the norm for majority of American gals. Usually they say they can't be bother with shifting,especially with the kids in the car.

I just hope this lull in fuel prices doesn't slow the high mileage affordable vehicles. IE Remember 3 cylinder Geo's 50+mpg mpg? When the $3-$4 a gal hit here these where all over. Not sure where they we hiding. I have yet to see anything basic simple vehicle that even gets close???? I also don't understand if Americans can't afford a house, how are they going to spend afford $30k-40K on a vehicle?

I ran into a Ford forum (no I don't remember which one) people we upset that the Focus wagon was dropped? Somehow manufactures are going to have offer these again. Just because they are not making ridiculous profits it's not offered anymore.

Besides vehicle manufactures marketing created this SUV/Crossover demand they should be able to create sensible affordable again. Use to be called a Ford or Chevy or whatever.

Paul

If you live beyond yours means,

You will be forced to live beneath your means eventually. This is how I was brought up by the ole Marine's example!