FordContour.Org

pre 98 dash in a 99?

mazdaspeedsvt

Hey I need to replace the dash in my 99 svt. The only good used one I can find near me is from a 97. I like the fact that it is a lighter color tan than the dash that is in my car... It looks like it will match my door trim panels better than the existing one. Looking at it, it looks like I can swap the black trim that surrounds the cluster and the center vents, but the passenger side vent is different. I'm thinking I can use the pre 98 passenger side vent... Does anyone know if this will work?

Thanks,

Dan

the tans are different colors, they will not match.

physically the dash will fit. not sure but you might need the door panels to make it all match. there maybe a few difference in brackets under the dash but that can be worked out.

you would be better off looking for an ealy 98 dash. same color and it doesn't warp at the defroster vent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am considering doing the same thing. Dash in my 99 is trashed. Found a few nice pre 98 dashes in the local boneyard.

I was going to get everything from that car in including the passenger airbag. It will be needed.

I question whether or not the pre98 airbag will plug directly into the 99 harness and whether the airbag computer will like that...

Any input Aussie ford?

It depends on whether your 99 is prior to 5/99 or not..... I think

I know that there is a difference between the 98 AB's and the later 99's what I am not certain is if the early 99's had the same AB as the late 98's and all of the pre 98's. The early 98's may have also been different but I don't know that for a fact. They changed connectors on many items just for the early 98's.

It has to do with the color of the connectors which is defined by the type of system. I think mine are brown or the other ones were and mine were yellow. Now that I think of it the reason was, the system was the upgraded one and my 99 has no external crash sensors. Everything is in the monitor that is under the e-brake handle. So I had to use 99-00 system stuff and I made sure to match my car. If yours has the external crash sensors then you should be able to use pre 99 AB's and they should be all the same. Is that clear as mud???? LOL

You can not physically plug in the wrong AB's, but they all mount the same way and location. When you do the dash swap you will want to swap your dash wiring harness to the new dash...... and do the fog light mod then too, and run wires over to the sides from the defroster switch (leave long) for the heated mirrors, and maybe run wires from the dimmer switch the same way (leave long too) for the little green door handle pocket lights and don't forget to wire in the plug for the clock. I mean shince you have the harness handy and all..... :P

If you were to use the Mystique dash there are some changes that need to be made for PATS and it would be best to get and install the matching cross member support.

Ugh, sounds like alot more work than I wanted to do. I was hoping to swap full dash pads, with airbag. Other than rewiring the defroster switch, and wiring in the clock I was hoping it would be plug and play.

So when you say crossmember support are you talking about the piece in the center that ties in with the console?

Maybe i'll just wait for an early 98 dash......

Ugh, sounds like alot more work than I wanted to do. I was hoping to swap full dash pads, with airbag. Other than rewiring the defroster switch, and wiring in the clock I was hoping it would be plug and play.

So when you say crossmember support are you talking about the piece in the center that ties in with the console?

Maybe i'll just wait for an early 98 dash......

You need to swap your wiring harness as the earlier cars were not wired the same way as yours. Just little differences but they are important. Contour to Contour is a bit easier than Contour to Mystique, but neither is really difficult. They all route the same way, and retainers are in the same locations.

LOL.... You don't NEED to do those things. Only if you have any plans to add those features in the furture..... You don't NEED to swap air bags either unless you just want to and why would you. The air bag is not what you see on the surface of the dash, if that is what you are thinking. That is just a cover the actual air bag is bolted to the corssmember support.

The cross member is a steel tube that supports the dash. This is only a suggestion if you are going to do the Mystique dash. All crossmembers have the bolt holes for both style dashes, but the Contour support has an attachment arm in the way of the driver side glove box. This needs to be cut off unless you swap out the supports. One is about as easy to do as the other. So this would actually be optional. I didn't swap mine, but I think if I did another 98+ Tour to Stique dash swap I would do it.(4 bolts)

Before I did a swap I went to the u-pull-it and just pulled a dash to see what was involved. That way I got smart about where all the hidden connectors were and oh ya and that extra bolt that you can't find..... LOL

What is NEEDED:

Disconnect battery.

Remove console.

Remove the knee panel under the steering column.

Remove the glove box.

Remove passenger side air bag bolts

Remove or lower steering column.

Remove the first 4 retainers to the interior rocker cover trim to access ground wires.

Disconnect all electrical connectors attached to the dash harness. (Most are in and above the fuse box and the passenger kick panel.

Remove the "A" pillar covers. (make sure you have 6 new little white plastic clips from the jy)

Remove the instrument bezel and guage pod.

Remove the HVAC / radio bezel.

Remove the bolts retaining he dash pad (8)

Remove the dash pad.

Swap the electrical harness to the new dash pad.

Reverse the process.

Some parts go better with help, but not necessary.

Optional:

Remove the seats for more room.

Mod your harness for future mods while it is out and easy to get to.

Your 99 does not have (unless previously modded):

Clock.

Heated mirrors.

Door pocket lights.

Fog lights that come on with the parking lights.

Since you have the "A" pillar cover off now would be a good time to do the Mystique rear dome light mod, or just leave off the driver side cover and do it later.

These are simple easy preps to do when the harness is out of the car anyway. Do as much or as little as you want. It is one of those things that sounds harder than it is ....... I'd rather swap a dash than an altenator...... LOL

AF

Edited by Aussie Ford

Yeah I got to do the alternator too. UGH

I am going to the JY. They had an early 98 contour in the holding pen that's now out for parting out. Hoping the early 98 is a plug and play replacment for the 99. We shall see soon!

With an early 98 you will need to swap over your wiring harness! no chance you wont have to. The connectors on the early 98 won't plug into your cars connectors above the fuse box where that bunch of 6 or 8 are. Another thing about that is your gage pod will not work with an early 98's wiring. Inputs from your cars sensors will not give proper info for a 98 gage pod. Not only will the speedo not work right the fuel gage will read backwards. Don't ask how I know... LOL

So what are you considering plug-n-play? The dash pad itself will fit right in no problem.

AF

I got a 95 dash stuffed in about 90% done. Swapped harness and bolted right in! Thanks for the advice!

Looks like i'll be able to keep my post 98 console at this time since there wasn't a good pre98 console at the bone yard. Looks like the plastic thing right below the radio will swap right over.

do you have PATS? and how about the clock??? you need to change the connector to match the 95 clock.

Yeah I have PATS and did grab the clock out of the 95. I figure i'll wire in the clock, and probably just remove the led from my old dash and just drill a new hole in the new dash for it.

Yeah I have PATS and did grab the clock out of the 95. I figure i'll wire in the clock, and probably just remove the led from my old dash and just drill a new hole in the new dash for it.

You could mount the pats in one of the blank covers in the lower part of the instrument bezel area. You may have seen how I did my relocation on my 99 to the place where the traction control button would have been. Same idea drilled a hole then siliconed in the light part (not the LED itself) then just connected the connector. I had to lengthen the wire as my location was on the outside edge of the dash. Besure to check the bulb in the clock and with the 95 clock you dont need the bulb cover that is used in the 98's.

PIC's?

Cool. Thanks.

I'll get some pics in the next few days. Car had a purpleish interior, now the dash is more of a blue color :( Oh well. Better than huge tears and pieces missing on the top of the dash pad.

I've been getting ready to replace the alternator...UGH. I did the alternator on my previous Mystique. And I remember once I got it all done it wasn't as bad as anticipated. This time i'm having a hard time getting motivated to do it. All oily and greasy under there. Looks like oil's been leaking out of the oil pan gasket and somewhere under the intake manifold, causing a streak down the face of the motor.

Same exact places my Mystique used to leak too.

Oil pan was simple. Whatever was leaking under the intake manifold was a BITCH! I remember I ended up just using silicone on whatever it was that was leaking. Couldn't get that can thing out of the valley. :(