FordContour.Org

Center Console

Roben

I've looked in the Chilton Manual for the center console removal, however there are some things that aren't explained the best. Does anyone have a step by step for the center console removal? I'm having issues when I get to the part removing the actual piece of plastic over the shifter knob (it's broken off now so I can do it, I need to repair some stuff associated with that when I get into it) and the E brake. I don't want to strongman it because that would suck and the wife would not be happy. Let me know if you have any tips. Thanks!

A couple screws on each side of the console at the front under the dash, a couple inside your armrest. Pop off the bezel surrounding the auto shift handle. Pull out the little spacer just below your radio...I believe that's it.

Pull up the ebrake as far as you can, and finnagle the thing outta there.

OK here is the deal....

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY.

To remove the shifter since you have an ATX you have a couple of choices the easy way or the hard way.......

The easy way is to do it the way Ford tells you to:

Raise the car.

Remove the heat shield over the cat - there are either 4 or 6 sheet metal type of nuts to remove then the heat shield can be removed.

Remove the shift cable from the shifter - it justs pops off.

Remove the four retaining nuts (10mm) from the shifter studs.

Inside the car remove the shifter bezel from the console and slide it up the shifter handle a bit.

Lift the shifter up and disconnect the electrical connector and remove the shifter from the console.

To remove the shift handle from the shifter assembly:

Remove the alan head screw from the side of the shift handle. (it's metric)

Remove the electric connector from the assembly cut the small wire tie to gain as much working room as you can.

Remove the red center retainer from the connector.

Using a small jewlers screw driver or a dental pic lift the retaier from the spade and remove the first wire from the connector that goes to the OD switch in the shift handle. Repete for the other wire. These really do come out easy.

Thread the two wires out of their path and pull the shift handle from the assembly.

Remove the bezel light from the bezel and lift it off the assembly.

Reverse the steps for reassembly. Be careful when putting the shift handle back on the shifter as the wires for the OD switch need to be in their pathway or the metal shifter WILL gouge the wires and cut the insulation causing a short.

Now as for removing the console:

Remove the kick panels there are a couple of screws in each side that have screw caps on them.

Remove the radio, and junk pocket.

Remove the HVAC, radio and junk pocket bezel

Remove the front mounting screws in the ashtray/ lighter area.

Open the storage pocket in the rear and remove the three screws in the bottom. Reach in the front and unplug the cigar lighter connectrs (2).

Move the console forward and manipulate the ebrake handle to allow it to be worked out of the boot and the console lifted off of it.

That is pretty much it and by the way the blue box there is the air bag monitor. I probably forgot something but I've slept since the last time I did it....LOL

Oh ya I mentioned another way of removing the shifter it is just working the wires for the OD switch around and removing the connector and the wires from it all w/o removing the assembly. It is not all that easy unless you have done it a few times and ruined several OD switches in the process. .... LOL

Hope this helps,

AF

10_15_07_2141.jpg10_15_07_2142.jpg

10_15_07_2146.jpg10_15_07_2151.jpg

Thanks a lot! I'm not too worried about the OD switch, it's broken already, I think I tried the hard way when I first tried taking it off. We never drive the car without the OD off, so if I figure a way to keep it on, we should be set for that. Thanks again, I appreciate it.