Sign in to follow this  
RichH

Broken Reverse Lockout 95 SE

Have a '95 SE with broken reverse lockout sleeve. Plastic sleeve is disintegrating. Can't engage reverse and would like some help with description of how to replace shift knob and lockout sleeve. Is there any way to bypass this lockout function?

Tired of pushing my car backwards in parking lots! Thanks for your feedback! :rolleyes:

Have a '95 SE with broken reverse lockout sleeve. Plastic sleeve is disintegrating. Can't engage reverse and would like some help with description of how to replace shift knob and lockout sleeve. Is there any way to bypass this lockout function?

Tired of pushing my car backwards in parking lots! Thanks for your feedback! :rolleyes:

why don't you just pop that shift boot out and break off the square plastic piece that actually locks out. or you can always buy a new shifter lockout. to remove the knob you just turn it counter clock wise.

I removed the lock out from my '98. It wasn't working correctly when I bought the car, so I just disassembled the shifter and removed the parts for the lockout. Works great.

I removed the lock out from my '98. It wasn't working correctly when I bought the car, so I just disassembled the shifter and removed the parts for the lockout. Works great.

Same here! :lol:

...you guys just don't read do you! :rolleyes:

He has a 95 with a rod shift ,the lockout is nothing like a post 97 cable shift!!.. The issue here is that the lockout sleeve is connected to a CABLE , INSIDE the shift lever which is HOLLOW!!.. At the bottom of this cable is the lockout. The whole stick assy needs to be removed to effect a repair on this.I'd advise a replacement stick assy..

Rich,

You can have my shifter for shipping cost. I want my knob, but the rest is spare in my case and would just go to waste. PM me.

Gar

...you guys just don't read do you! :rolleyes:

He has a 95 with a rod shift ,the lockout is nothing like a post 97 cable shift!!.. The issue here is that the lockout sleeve is connected to a CABLE , INSIDE the shift lever which is HOLLOW!!.. At the bottom of this cable is the lockout. The whole stick assy needs to be removed to effect a repair on this.I'd advise a replacement stick assy..

local JY visit sounds good.. too bad you've got the shitty shifter because you've likely got the better differential and possibly the better shift forks. never mind the skirts and stuff.. this is the car that made me love the CDW27 platform - not the SVT although really now its all about the SVT.. off topic

anyhow I'm not sure if terry had implied to replace with a rod shift style shift assy or to convert to cable shift. but cable shifting feels better. I would consider the conversion to cables. you will want to get the shift tower / cables/ inner shifter assembly and send the shift tower that is on the trans to terry to get mod'd.

the shifter assemblies are different from 95-97 - rods 98 - 2k cabled.. but there are changes that isolate 98 from 98.5-2k not sure what they all are.

the cougar and focus use the same trans but with a slightly different shift tower cable and shifter.

I suppose you could also get a shifter and stuff from a jaguar x type but its likely not worthwhile. it'd be like sourcing a mtx-75 from a rossian noble.

get the keyed tower mod. if the bolt breaks in gear it's cheaper to just sell the car here or on CEG and buy an SVT with the 3.0l swap done already

....you will want to get the shift tower...

Bad info bud!....A cable shift tower/turret does not fit on to an early rod shift trans...you need the whole transmission...

Folks,

I am a viewer of posts, but have not posted much.  Until now....

I am experiencing the same issue, my reverse lockout ring is broken. 

This thread said it might be better to replace the shifter assembly.  But wouldn't the new assembly also require modification to remove the actual lockout? 

Apologies if it was explained, I am somewhat confused (and frustrated at my shifter)

Thanks,

Shamoon

The early rod shift gear stick is hollow..it has a spring loaded cable inside it..The plastic collar is held onto the cable with a roll pin that goes thru the cable and collar...when the collar and roll pin are lifted it pulls the cable up and unlocks reverse. The only way to remove the lockout cable is to remove the stick from its lower housing and remove the cable assy from inside the stick...

I've been looking for a new "collar" for the top of the shifter bag for the Voltour forever.  It all broke apart, and ever since I use my index finger to pull up on that bare roll pin to engage reverse.  I figured I'll have to machine one one day if I want one, because all the junkyard ones I've seen...are junk.