Sign in to follow this  
Terry Haines

Identify Output Shaft Types..

...without removing trans.

For those who have seen my post on the early/ late type of output shafts..this may help if you are considering a change of final drive ratio.

How To

*Support the trans and remove the top trans mount from trans and inner fender.* Disconnect cables from the tower and reverse switch connection* With trans in neutral , remove shift turret/tower bolts and,WITH CARE, liftout tower..

Now look down into the trans. (If you are not sure after this info, post a pic and I will tell you)...Look at the two larger gears and note the position of the 'ring' between the gears...

out shaft early.JPG

This is the early type output shaft.Your option to change final drive ratio with this design are only to 3.8 or vice versa to 4.06,you will need a donor trans of 95>97 for parts...unless you wish to have the cost of swapping many other parts ($$$!) to use the later type output shaft.To do this

out shaft late.JPG

This is the later type output shaft. If you have this type you have the option of a final drive ratio of 3.5, 3.8 or 4.06.

After you have established the type of shaft you can plan your project. NOTE..Take extra care when the turret/ tower is off..Do not drop anything inside the trans and be sure it is clean before you remove it, no dirt into the trans.

Next would be to clan both sealing faces and use Permatex Anerobic Gasket Maket and refit the tower, cables etc..Any questions?...easy eh!!!

So it looks like there is a difference in the oil grooves on the gears, more brass in the later one and the location of the oil groove on the shafts is different.....

what did I miss?

Any tips on removing the shift cables and actually the tower itself? Then putting it all back together.....?

AF

Edited by Aussie Ford

...they are not oil grooves.The ring between the gears in the early type is just a machine mark..BUT these gears are part of the shaft and cannot be removed. The ring on the latter shaft is where the two shrunk on gears butt up to each other..Cables, I use a made up 'fork" to GENTLY pry off the cable ends from the pins...I have explained about removal and refitting of the tower in the text above..

...almost NONE!!.. I have seen late level 3 parts shafts in 98/99 MTX's and early level 2 part shafts in 2000/2001...That is why I say,the white tag on the trans assy number means very little to the internal components. Late level Cougar MTX75 V6's 'may ' have the later type shafts say around 2002...but don't hold your breath!..This is why I made this post...

Well I was hoping for a different answer but you keep saying the same thing regarding these.... :rolleyes: :lol:

As always your info is very informative and now at least I have some idea of what to look for at my fav JY's. :D

For the 4.06 FD which 95-97 2.0L tranny does that come from and how does one tell that is what it is?

AF

Edited by Aussie Ford

For the 4.06 FD which 95-97 2.0L tranny does that come from and how does one tell that is what it is?

99% of all rod shift MTX75 for Contour have the early 2 part shaft. The V6 type is 4.06, the Zetec is 3.8...

OK well then where does that 3.5 come from that can be used with the later output shaft? If one had a 3L that may be the more desireable one to have depending on usage of course, but it would have the power to push it and still have improved performance..... right?

Is that an automatic 07 Focus donor Terry, or is it an MTX75 in a Focus? I'll keep an eye out for the donor in my own JY for the future.

Gar

MTX75 but parts from a donor trans will not be a straight swap re input shaft and a number of other gears,syncros etc. It's a complex exchange of parts, which is where the added cost comes in for the swap from early to late type output shaft. parts that the normal Ford parts list won't tell you about. I draw my specs from 3 levels of MTX75...

You did my 98 MTX with the stronger parts, 3.8, and slick shift. Do you keep the records needed on customer jobs to see if I have a suitable core to work on?

Gar

I'm sure your swap to 3.8 was effected with donor parts parts from a 95>97 Zetec MTX75, which tells me it retains the two part early output shaft and would not be an easy swap to a 3.5 3 part,late, output shaft.

Questions from owners..

...OK, I need to explain that even 'if' you have a late type output shaft (3 piece) it is not an easy DIY job to remove gears etc and fit to either a late style 3.8 or 3.5 output shaft. Some of the gears on the later output shafts are a shrink fit and the whole output shaft assy is NOTHING like building up an early 2 piece shaft with just a pinion and ring gear change. The shrunk gears need an extensive shop to remove and refit.Large press etc etc. Again 'if' you have the later output shaft I'd still advise against trying the swap as a DIY, you may hit the wall midway thru the job.

...3.5 is in the Focus , 2007 > ...and one is being built into an MTX as we speak to go with a full 3.0 oval port motor...

Terry rebuilt my MTX75 using a 3.5FDR. Once Dom's completed the motor work and it's been tuned, he will be the first to report back on drivability and performance of the 3.5FDR.

Mike

..a few more facts as it seems,again, that bogus info is around the web!!

*The late output shaft..

...will not match an early input shaft*does not have the same bearings as an early output shaft*is not the same length as an early input shaft and needs case m/c *was used in 'most' V6 units from 'around' 2000> 2002..but not hard and fast rule..*can be had in 4.06,3.8 & 3.5 final drive ratios...

ok, im still having trouble understanding. im not sure what shaft i have yet. il be dropping my tranny soon.

but if i have the early shaft i just need to spa out the FD and the gear on teh shaft for the FD?

and if i have a late, i have to take all the gears off and swap in an early shaft with all my original gears?

With the tower off look at the pics above.If the split line is off center between the gears or you have no split line then you have an early type.If the split line is central between the gears you have a late type. Early will only give you the option of a 3.8 FDR from stoc V6 4.06. Late type gives 3.8 & 3.5.

Interchange of output shafts late to early is not easy and expensive as not all parts from early fit late and you need a lot of new parts that do not swap from early,you need a late input shaft also with gears to match late as gear 'cuts' change and also need m/c work on cases etc as late output shaft is longer than early.

The early 3.8 can be used from and old 4 cyl Contour by swapping pinion and ring gear.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.