FordContour.Org

Electric water pump install

SicSE

I have the Davies-Craig EWP and controller waiting for me to get around to installing it. I also have an already-modded crossover tube as this setup has been used in a Contour before. The install instructions "recommend" removing the t-stat, but, if I do that, I'll need a booster pump for acceptable heater operation. My question is this... why not just leave the t-stat installed and run the pump as constant-on from the ignition? I'm expecting that I would need a flow restrictor for the heater lines, but that is the only issue I'm seeing... other than maybe a bit of fab work for piping and/or hoses. Is there something I'm overlooking?

The EWP, with the correct controller does not operate at full speed with a cold engine so heater warm up is not a problem. All those I have fitted I removed the t/stat and had no issues..

Which is the correct controller? I have the older model... 8005, I think it is, it's not like the digital one shown on their site, it has a temp adjustment knob that you turn with a mini screwdriver.

Which is the correct controller? I have the older model... 8010, I think it is, it's not like the digital one shown on their site, it has a temp adjustment knob that you turn with a mini screwdriver.

Edited by SicSE

• 2 weeks later...

I run the Davis Craig EWP80 and the older 8020 controller, (which does not control the fans) and have had no problems so far.

I did also remove my thermostat, (on Terry's advice) but I do notice that it takes the car a lot longer warm up to temperature.

Not a big deal since I only drive it in the summer and mostly on the track.

Go to the Davis Craig web sight, which they have recently redone, and you see everything there.

Mikey