Sign in to follow this  
Terry Haines

Rear Suspension..MYTH!!!

..OK, the rear suspension of the Contour and for those that have read 'Mondeo..The Story of the Global Car' and the Ford CD, you will know that the Contour also has the same rear suspension.

The CDW27 has 'Passive rear Wheel Steer'...so what does this mean?

Well those who have had the rear suspension off the ground will note that the suspension fore & aft 'tie bar' has soft bushes etc..

They were DESIGNED THAT WAY...this helps the rear wheel follow the track of the front wheels on turns and goes towards the CDW27 good handling..

I mention this because far too many owners feel the rear suspension is shot when they see this tie bar movement!!

Some even go with poly bushes to correct it !! NOT a good plan, the stock bushes (see * in diag below) must have fore and aft movement to aid the passive rear steer feature.

Think long and hard before you try to 'improve' on a design that was unique when the CDW27 you may do more harm that good !!!

rear tie bar.jpg

PLEASE understand how the car was designed and how systems work before you spend you hard cash on parts you don't need!!!!

Fascinating indeed! I had no idea this 'passive rear wheel steering' was incorporated into the Contour/Mystique design. I think there should be a new forum heading titled "All Good Things - CDW27", to share all the really cool features that make this platform better than any other. I love my SVT! rolleyes.gif

Thank you, Terry, for sharing this truly interesting feature!

Edited by jeffmknight

Terry what would be the parts that can be improved on?

...well depends on what you want and what you use the car for. Rear subframe stab bar mounts tend to rust out and break off...Most owners who lower suspension etc have no damm clue that the Silentbloc bush bolts must all be loose and only torqued to spec with THE WEIGHT OF THE CAR ON THE WHEELS!!!

Many owners lower the car a DON'T LOOK at the EFFECT ON THE ANGLE OF OPERATION OF THE STAB BAR AND LINKS..basic physics here guys!!!

...The list of do's and dont's could be extensive here!!!

...well depends on what you want and what you use the car for. Rear subframe stab bar mounts tend to rust out and break off...Most owners who lower suspension etc have no damm clue that the Silentbloc bush bolts must all be loose and only torqued to spec with THE WEIGHT OF THE CAR ON THE WHEELS!!!

Many owners lower the car a DON'T LOOK at the EFFECT ON THE ANGLE OF OPERATION OF THE STAB BAR AND LINKS..basic physics here guys!!!

...The list of do's and dont's could be extensive here!!!

Terry pretty much my thing is to fling the car down the side of a mountain(love twisties) as fast as I can.Thanks for the quick response.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.