Sign in to follow this  
Terry Haines

6-Speed Units

..i know I have covered this many times but some new owners don't have the correct info..

Niormal question is ..'Can I get a 6 Speed trans in my V6???

..Most answer that the Focus/Getrag 6 speed will not fit..correct..but it will fit a 4 cyl.

Ther IS a 6 Speed that will fit but NOT from the Focus..it's from the Mondeo ST220, whaich has the 6 speed as an option. This is the same unit , with Quaife diff fitted, that is used in the Noble, MMT6 Trans....BUT it is not used stoc in any USA produced car. parts are expnsive etc and the unit is not just a 'bolt in' for the Contour/Cougar. Need many other parts and some mods......Hope that clears it up!!

..i know I have covered this many times but some new owners don't have the correct info..

Niormal question is ..'Can I get a 6 Speed trans in my V6???

..Most answer that the Focus/Getrag 6 speed will not fit..correct..but it will fit a 4 cyl.

Ther IS a 6 Speed that will fit but NOT from the Focus..it's from the Mondeo ST220, whaich has the 6 speed as an option. This is the same unit , with Quaife diff fitted, that is used in the Noble, MMT6 Trans....BUT it is not used stoc in any USA produced car. parts are expnsive etc and the unit is not just a 'bolt in' for the Contour/Cougar. Need many other parts and some mods......Hope that clears it up!!

What would be this high cost noone is mentioning?

Link for Newbs.

http://www.fordcontour.org/index.php?showtopic=2324

Edited by SVTDEMON

So $700ish probably including shipping if they'd even ship over here haha. I have no idea why people are so hellbent on getting a 6 speed. Just build up the MTX-75 with some really nice ratios for your application and go. 6 speed does not automatically=better or = lower final drive ratio which is what a LOT of people think.

So $700ish probably including shipping if they'd even ship over here haha. I have no idea why people are so hellbent on getting a 6 speed. Just build up the MTX-75 with some really nice ratios for your application and go. 6 speed does not automatically=better or = lower final drive ratio which is what a LOT of people think.

Some people just like the thought of having 6 gears

I'm sure some of the Noble sites/official builders can all get the imported MMT6 new($700 is not a new unit!!). To buy used would not be smart and as I said ,you need more than the trans alone.

We have had these units in the shop and done the 'package study' for them to go into the Contour, but it's not just a bolt in.

I'm sure some of the Noble sites/official builders can all get the imported MMT6 new($700 is not a new unit!!). To buy used would not be smart and as I said ,you need more than the trans alone.

We have had these units in the shop and done the 'package study' for them to go into the Contour, but it's not just a bolt in.

Im sure you would know better than anyone but i couldnt imagine it being that difficult to put in. I mean its going to bolt straight to the motor. They're the exact same engine. Only dif is everything is backwards on hte mondeo lol. Just looking at the pic obviously something with the shift tower needs to be done

..thank about it!!..Trans mount,cables,cable bracket,shifter inside car,driveshafts etc etc..I have had a few MMT6's in the shop,bolted to 2.5's and 3.0's and done the test fit/measurements etc etc..I do know what is needed to do this!!!

..thank about it!!..Trans mount,cables,cable bracket,shifter inside car,driveshafts etc etc..I have had a few MMT6's in the shop,bolted to 2.5's and 3.0's and done the test fit/measurements etc etc..I do know what is needed to do this!!!

Hence why i said you WOULD know better than anyone, but still i dfont see that stuff being much of a issue give you had the money to just spend on other parts from the mondeo

The design of the Mondeo ST220 is not the same level as ours. We only go up to 2000 and 2002 on the Cougar. It is considered a Mk II at 2000 in europe. The ST220 mondy is way past the Mk II 2000 level...

What is the total cost estimate Terry? Is it better to this than a Quaife Dogbone upgrade?

I had some MG RV8 heads shipped over several years back. Shipping was high... then the heads turned out to be defective, and I had to ship them back. OUCH! Cost in shipping alone makes the ST220 6 speed not cost effective.

I had some MG RV8 heads shipped over several years back. Shipping was high... then the heads turned out to be defective, and I had to ship them back. OUCH! Cost in shipping alone makes the ST220 6 speed not cost effective.

Agreed. Something else to consider is spare parts availability. You just can't go down to the local parts store and get what you need. You first have to find it and then have it shipped over here at the higher rates (in addition to whatever the exchange rate is) and you've greater down time. Not something I would want in a DD or any project for that matter which is why I went T56/Cyclone X-box vs MT75 Cossie on the Focus.

Agreed. Something else to consider is spare parts availability. You just can't go down to the local parts store and get what you need. You first have to find it and then have it shipped over here at the higher rates (in addition to whatever the exchange rate is) and you've greater down time. Not something I would want in a DD or any project for that matter which is why I went T56/Cyclone X-box vs MT75 Cossie on the Focus.

It's a ford part I'm sure you can just get the part number and order it.

Nope..!!. The Ford Europe/ Ford USA part number systems are not the same and there is no cross ref 'finis' number to part number. Plus the fact thyat the dealers her will not even have any MMT6 parts on their system because it isn't used here. We have contacts etc in UK / Germany and have imported parts for the MMT6 for repairs and have lists of finis numbers etc.

A lot more than a modded MTX75.! The new cost of an MMT6 alone would shock you..shipped from UK,duty etc etc...

Thanks for the reply Terry, I will PM you when I have sold enough blood to get the dogbone kit.LOL

So, I'm looking, the Focus ST uses the MMT6 trans.  I'm guessing though that it uses a different bellhousing pattern or trans mounting pattern than the ST220 unit had?  Even if it uses all the same bolt locations, it would still require the trans mount itself, speedo pickup, half shafts, etc...  IDK, just something new to add to the discussion.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.