Sign in to follow this  
BuckeyeSVT

3L Tip: Oil dipsticks

While working on some home build 3L's I notice that some like to remove the yellow ring dipstick and install the old 2.5L dipstick. With the 3.0L pan you absolutely need to use the 3.0L dipstick as the internal volume is different. The dipstick tube is exactly the same and does not make a difference - But the dipstick does.

Here's a quick picture representation of both 3.0L (Top) and 2.5L (Bottom) dipsticks together. Notice where the full marks are between them...

Shop051010 003.JPG

Shop051010 001.JPG

Again, you will be filling the engine with less oil if you run the wrong stick... Just a tip.

-Dom

Good question, one would need to pick up a stock Escape dipstick and compare to the 2.5l. That pan is different than the 2.5l and it may be more similar to the Taurus 3.0l than the 2.5l...

-Dom

does any one else find it backwards that the 3L has a shorter dipstick then the 2.5L when the oil pan is deeper in the 3L?

as for the escape pan, I am using one with the 2.5L dipstick and iirc, the level seems to match how it was with the 2.5L oil pan. but I never specifically checked.

I'll try to remember to compare the escape 3L dipstick to the length of the 2.5l one when Im at my parents next.

Edited by BrApple