FordContour.Org

CV Joint grease!!

...simple subjet eh!..not so fast..

Many owners have the need to replace inner/outer CV joint boots.Most boot kits come with grease..problem is they grease usually supplied is the same for both..WRONG!!!!

Digging out some old race/performance data..the joints do NOT use the same grease in the inner and outer.

The inner is a 'tripod' type joint not a 'true' CV...GKN data tell met the..on the inner tripod joint...

The needle bearings in a tripod joint can overheat easily because the rollers slide along the length of the needles in addition to spinning around them.Use of the wrong grease can lead to premature failure...

GKN offer the correct grade of grease for the 'tripod' inner joint and a high load/racing grease for the outer CV joint...that is , TWO types of grease needed per shaft.

We a digging into this as we will be inspecting/re man some performance shafts on a 'special' car..and a Rock/A, NAPA etc replacement assy will not do!!!

The Ford counter guy gave me a bag full of tubes on a parts visit some time ago. I think it was all the same part. I'll get the number.

All my bearings are wiped clean right now for all the test fitting I needed to do. It will still be a while before final assembly, so I'm interested in identifying what I should use, and collecting it along the way.

Gar

...simple subjet eh!..not so fast..

Many owners have the need to replace inner/outer CV joint boots.Most boot kits come with grease..problem is they grease usually supplied is the same for both..WRONG!!!!

Digging out some old race/performance data..the joints do NOT use the same grease in the inner and outer.

The inner is a 'tripod' type joint not a 'true' CV...GKN data tell met the..on the inner tripod joint...

The needle bearings in a tripod joint can overheat easily because the rollers slide along the length of the needles in addition to spinning around them.Use of the wrong grease can lead to premature failure...

GKN offer the correct grade of grease for the 'tripod' inner joint and a high load/racing grease for the outer CV joint...that is , TWO types of grease needed per shaft.

We a digging into this as we will be inspecting/re man some performance shafts on a 'special' car..and a Rock/A, NAPA etc replacement assy will not do!!!

I just got a CV Joint boot kit from Ford (Motorcraft) (TS-170) for an outer boot that split open. Comes w/2 90 gram tubes of Constant velocity joint grease (high temp.) I am not sure about the inner boot kit, but wouldn't that come w/something different? The correct tubes of grease? For future I will keep this in mind and look out for the different grease...Thanks TH.

..I would hope that genuine Ford kits come with the correct grades of grease etc.Aftermarket,I don't think so!!..FWIW the shafts/CV/tripod are made by GKN. Below is a pic of one of Robs 160+ MPH cv joints that we have stripped ,ready for inspection/reman etc .Notice the great condition of parts with little wear etc.these are genuine Ford/GKN cv joints..just take care when you fit any reman units re where made,quality of materials etc..I can see from these parts that GKN are A1 in both quality and materials..

rob w outer cv.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

..well the Motorcraft grease, XG-5 is supplied for both inner and outer joints. The GKN Motor Sport grease is not the same for inner and outer (Note GKN design and make the CV joints and tripod joints so I think they know whats what)

the Ford grease is a light blue/green color..GKN performance CV (outer) grease is black, GKN performance Tripod (inner) grease is light tan...

cv greases.JPG

Boot Kit Part Numbers etc...

It appears that some boot kits(genuine Ford parts) are listed incorrectly by both Ford dealers and most all aftermarket boot kit.A few facts ,should you need boot kit info..

Inner Tripod CV Boot kit...

F8RZ-3A331-C

Boot Mould # :- GKN A1 >TEEE

Moulded tri-lobe rubber insert # :- 2360047

Boot Calamp #'s:- Small 32.7..large ..94.8

This kit/contents should work with all inner CV tripod joints and comes with 2 tubes of grease # XG-53

Outer CV Boot Kits..

This is where things can go wrong. Ford lists TWO kit numbers one is designated 2.0, other is 2.5...

This is the 2.5 data..

F8EZ-3A331-E

Boot Mould # :- 310 218-1 GKN A1 >TEEE

Boot Clamps ;- Small 32.7..large 92.3

NO GREASE comes with this kit.

The 2.0 outer CV boot kit is for a smaller CV joint and will not corretly fit a 2.5 parts but the 2.0 kit part # is Motorcraft TS-170 (Ford F5RZ-3A331-A)

Take care to get the correct parts.Also note the genuine Ford kits use 'Oetiker' type boot clamps which nedd the correct pliers to fit and clamp the boot..and NO, normal wire cutters will not get it!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.