FordContour.Org

Are Empty Streets Around the Corner?

Terry Haines

I'd also look at employment as more in more of the jobs typically filled by teeny boppers are getting filled by layed-off workers. Cost is another big issue. Insurance alone was terrible and gas would kill you if you were not careful. Of the guys in my class, the ones with 'nice' vehicles (excluding the few rich kids who had daddy by them a MR2, R32, BMW, Supra (of which I got called to fix one afternoon :D ) or just a new car in general) were those working 40+ hours a week during the summer doing trade work or manual labor. Good times!

MY girlfriends brother was 22 when he finally got his license, and 25 when he finally got a car. Hes 27 now. I have a cousin who will be 18 in October, hasnt taken drivers ed, and has no desire to drive at all. The day I turned 15.5 I got my temps and was begging my parents to drive every chance I got!

• Like 1

My daughter just turned 14 and she is taking her test as we speak. In Kansas they can start at 14, we have been discussing cars but I don't understand teenage girls.

I hope the experts are wrong I couldn't wait to drive and buy a car.

Rob

What can I say? I got my license at 26, a few days later that I brought my first car... I wasn't in a hurry to drive, and I don't put in the car more than 6500 miles a year... I am 37 right now...

Learners Permit 15.5. License at 16 ,Bought first car 96 Firebird Formula with cosign from Parents. License Suspended 16.3 Years Old for 6 months. LOL :busted_cop:

First time Behind the wheel 12, backed my dads Aerostar over the lawn. LOL

Edited by SVTDEMON
  • Like 1

I would say the biggest reasons are cost & need. The cost of buying any reliable car + insurance + gas + maintenance is more than most people want to pay for a 16 year old. Then there is need, they don't feel a need to drive, I have a friend that didn't get her license until she was 25. She lived on a college campus and worked a block from her apartment, if she needed to go somewhere she'd bum a ride for gas money or her parents would come get her. Yup she was 25 and still getting rides from her parents, but that kind of thing seems pretty common these days. I know several people who are in their mid 20's and still drive their parents cars.

I couldn't wait to get my license either. In India, you can't get one until you're 18. Most of my friends and cousins couldn't wait either but there were some who weren't in a hurry because they thought they'd have to run errands etc. Couldn't figure them out. I needed any excuse to drive the car somewhere.

Of course, there are people out there who can't drive a stick shift but that's another story :)

The Fiat that I learned on had a shifter behind the steering wheel (in the Contour, it would be in place of the wiper control.) Floor shifters were uncommon in India then, and the few 'cool' cars that had them, they stuck out of the floor board.

Permit at 15.5

License at 16

Bought my first car at 16 with my own money.

Then again, you must remember that we're probably not a very representative group here on a car forum...

Permit at 15.5

License at 16

Bought my first car at 16 with my own money.

Then again, you must remember that we're probably not a very representative group here on a car forum...

Yes because only Old Farts use computers.LOL :lol: