Sign in to follow this  
rac74

Fuel Rail FPR Connector

My vehicle was originally equipped with a return style fuel system and my harness has no provision for this connector and I'm uncertain as to whether it is even in the strategy or not. I assume this is a vacuum operated diaphram and I have it hooked up for it but I'm uncertain what to do with the connector.

Edited by rac74

The pic you show is of a returnless pressure transducer. If you car is a return type system it will need some mods.The return system uses a a vac operated FPR but not on returnless...Assume you have 2 fuel lines to the engine?

The aim is to still be able to control fuel pressure to a single feed fuel rail by a vac type FPR. It's quite easy. You can,if you wish,buy an aftermarket block that takes the std FPR and is a 'plug in & play' part...but if you think about it all you need to do is provide a pressure control leakback system for a return style line. Both Dom and I have done this many ways but this will give you a rough idea.The main point is NO FUEL LEAKS so use only premium parts etc.

First off you need to 'T' into the main fuel feed line close to the quick connect to the fuel rail.

I have used steel barbed 'T's of the correct size.

Genuine HP fuel injection spec fuel line can be used here,MUST BE FI spec and retined with double clamps,not worm dive but 'screw and nut type clamps.

Remove the FPR block from the old fuel rail.

Retain the outlet side of the block with the quick connect. Cut off the inlet side flush with the block.

Drill and tap for the correct size of 'male screw in/barb hose type connector.

Connect the central part of the 'T' to the modded FPR block.

Now connect the outlet side with the quick connect to the existing fuel return line.

You now have a way to control the fuel pressure in the existing 'dead head' type fuel rail.

It works fine.many other methods have beed devised but as you can see this set up will regulate fuel rail pressure by the FPR leak/return line..oh yes,connect a vac source to the FPR and you will be set..easy eh!!

Simple enough. Do you use Earl's AN type fittings? Stainless of course..

Edited by rac74

To use any type of AN/screw type hoses etc(Vs barbed connectors,HP fuel line & clamps) you would need threaded connectors on the 'T',and threaded lines for the main fuel feed etc...I have found HP line(steel braded) and clamps works fine...

OK. I just was wondering if I could use something cheaper as the Earl's fittings are quite pricey. I was looking at Parker as an alternative.

Is any type of sealant required on the threaded connections?