Sign in to follow this  
Gar

Hottie got a Mercedes

A senior relative gave Hottie G/F an old 380SL two seater convertable. Light blue outside, deep blue inside. It sat for a few years, so I hualed it up to my place on a rollback yesterday. She's very excited. I've got an old powersteering pump I'll use to pressurize the oiling system, and start by turning the engine by hand with the plugs out. It should have the more desirable double timing chain on this aluminum V8 based loosely on the model year. Fair shape, no collision, just a rusty rear fender and a few spots. Does leak some.... musty inside and in the trunk. Taking Hottie to the beach this weekend so the car has to wait till next week. This is new territory for me.... the car that is.... I know Hottie's chassis. :)

I'll post some about the work.

Gar

File pic:

post-6023-025518000 1286417456_thumb.jpeg

The car sat for years under pines and tulips.... it was a mess of sap. I tried several methods and discovered orange cleaner and the Magic Eraser. It looks great./// cept the rims. I will media blast em and clearcoat. The eraser cleans even the stain spots. Pass it on!

Killed some bees, so in a few, I'll get the battery on charge and start getting mechanical.

Gar

post-6023-042488600 1286992167_thumb.jpg

The car sat for years under pines and tulips.... it was a mess of sap. I tried several methods and discovered orange cleaner and the Magic Eraser. It looks great./// cept the rims. I will media blast em and clearcoat. The eraser cleans even the stain spots. Pass it on!

Killed some bees, so in a few, I'll get the battery on charge and start getting mechanical.

Gar

Donno which is hotter :)

post-6023-008663000 1286993468_thumb.jpg

Started the engine yesterday. Valve cover gasket leak onto the header gave me a scare, but only smoke. Gasket from Advance Auto pick-up today, degrease that side of the motor if it's nice enough weather sometime between now and next weekend.

What I didn't realize till this morning.... she wants to use it this winter. We have to talk more.... from an all wheel drive, beat up Subie to a fancy, but light rear RWD V8..... predictable value reduction in crushed corners or worst from Mid Atlantic snow :)

I want to restore it and have her turn it for money to get a more suitable daily driver.... heck, I'd like to own it myself for a summer, but under the circumstances of it being a gift from family, those notions may be out of the question. Gotta find out how reliable it's going to be.... my intuition tells me this is meant to be a "second", garaged car, not a commuter for work every day, and she lives downtown Baltimore.

She will look great in it. She's going to be my swimsuit posing supermodel for my project car, and she cooks incredibly good too. Only other thing I could wish for is the last 25 years back. The Mercedes would be new..... she'd be 27.... and I'd actually be as virile as I lie about today :)

Gar

post-6023-000781800 1287144668_thumb.jpg

Alright! Now this thread's getting interesting!

I had an early '90's 500SL for a short time. It had all the older Benz issues, but that engine was STOUT! What a wonderful sleeper. Back when 5.0 Mustangs had 200hp, the 5.0 in the Merc had 325hp.

Cracked dash?

I'm undecided between the Coverlay and the Dashtop brands of molded dash covers. Any experience with either of those when you were a Mercedan?

Here's more of what you came for (snicker)

post-6023-030289400 1287231593_thumb.jpeg

post-6023-009833300 1287250595_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gar