FordContour.Org

Parts for MTX-75 rebuild

Adam98SVT

I am going to have my trans rebuilt, 1998.5 Contour SVT, cable shift. Dom did my 3 liter.

Basically the TOB and PP are shot so that has to be replaced. Theres a good trans shop in town, and Im asking them how much for a rebuild and add the Torsen diff. He told me the price for parts for all new synchro/bearings etc. He was concerned about the parts for the Torsen unit. I showed him the page from the Team Ford website. He was asking about carrier bearings and shims etc for the Torsen, what was included / needed. He was also concerned if he could check the pre-load or backlash or something like that. He was adamant that it needs to measured accurately to make sure all this works. He needs to make sure he can take that measurement before he takes it all apart.

Is there a parts list I need to make sure this guy has? They do a lot of high end custom work, its a reputable shop. Im sure their labor is just fine. As long as I give them the proper information they can get this done for me.

Also any recommendation for a stock SVT flywheel replacement part or where to order OEM SVT flywheel?

Thanks,

Adam

Edited by Adam98SVT

WALK AWAY!!..If the 'trans shop' has to ask you about setting preloads,Toren,shims etc..If he does not know the tools and process needed to set preloads etc etc then he has little or no experience with the MTX75...WALK AWAY!!!

Alright. I dont know what can be so much more complicated with this than any other trans. I bought this car 3 maybe 4 years ago. Nothing but problems.

Maybe Monday late afternoon you can call me.

Adam

239-269-3271

Edited by Adam98SVT

I agree. Terry so absolutely knows these boxes there's no reason to use anyone else. Terry is a good price. The trans can go carrier, so there's just no reason to NOT use HMS. I have.

Gar

This shop may be very good with conventional RWD transmissions and rear ends BUT..ANY shop that has to ask these questions...

...'He was asking about carrier bearings and shims etc for the Torsen, what was included / needed. He was also concerned if he could check the pre-load or backlash or something like that. He was adamant that it needs to measured accurately to make sure all this works. He needs to make sure he can take that measurement before he takes it all apart....

.......should not 1)Be let loose round an MTX75, the questions show he has no idea of the workings etc on this trans 2)You do NOT ask the customer for a 'how to' to repair /upgrade HIS trans...is this shop NUTS????

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.