FordContour.Org

car radio on but no sound intermittently

Jillian

Hi guys got a question for you. I have had my 99 contour for about 6 years and have had no problems with the radio untill recently.

I had a pioneer radio that i put in my self when i got the car and has alway worked .I installed it with a store bought wiring harness so everything was neat and clean no spliced wires ect. so now everything comes on and looks as if its ok the unit lights up,buttons work Cd works.ect ,but no sound and then you might get in and it all works .So i thought maybe it was a short got new wiring harness from the store.When that didn't fix it i thought it was my radio went and got me a new one.It work just fine for a day. it is doing the same thing.What could this be? other then no sound there is nothing odd going on.any help would be grateful.

ALso when the speakers stop working i can hear low sound from my Subs but they don't sound the same as when all is working

Thanks Jill

Do you have premium sound? ... It's possible the fuse is blown or the amp is failed.

-Dom

Do you have premium sound? ... It's possible the fuse is blown or the amp is failed.

-Dom

To be truthful i have no clue, Haven't seen anything saying i do. But would a fuse work and then not work? It comes and goes .Like it might work a day or even a week then off for a few days...cc_confused.gif

Don't know if it matters but its a SE. How would i find out?

Edited by Jillian

Jillian,

You say you heard some low noise from your Subs....... Do you have aftermarket subs? If so, are they "high drive" in other words are they powered by splicing into the rear speakers?

If this is the case, you may still be running a premium sound system. What you may be running into is a intermittent grounding problem on the premium sound amplifier.

I have removed the system (in line) a long time ago and have been running directly to aftermarket amps and speakers ever since. I couldn't tell you where the premium sound amp is located, but my guess would be on the passenger side of the trunk behind the trunk liner panels. Any of the wires coming from the amp screwed to the body panels may need to be cleaned and or tightened.

Good luck,

Bob

I do have after market subs .they are not wired into back speaker.They are hooked to my amp that i installed then the amp is ran to the radio with rca jacks.Everthing is hooked up nice and clean no splicing .I leaned early on do it right or don't do it at all cause it will only cause me head aches lol.My head is connected through wiring harness the one that came with the car and one that i bought for the head so i didnt have to cut and splice.

Edited by Jillian

Was one of the 2 radio connectors small and square connecting to a grey harness? If so, you have the factory amp.

-Dom

Was one of the 2 radio connectors small and square connecting to a grey harness? If so, you have the factory amp.

-Dom

Well one is grey but its not really small or square its more rectangle.I attached a photo for you to see what im talking about.

The one's in the car are the same corresponding colors.

The black one is for the speaker.

The grey one is for power,ground,dimmer,ect

post-11572-0-60181500-1289186566_thumb.jpg

Okay, nevermind - You don't have Premium Sound. From what you are describing it could be a short in the radio itself. Double check all your wiring, if it's ok - Then the radio is suspect.

-Dom

Okay, nevermind - You don't have Premium Sound. From what you are describing it could be a short in the radio itself. Double check all your wiring, if it's ok - Then the radio is suspect.

-Dom

Yeah i thought it was the Head, but bought a brand new one its doing the same thing.

I rewired everything from the head to the car.

I guess ill have to take the door's apart and see if maybe something in there

is amiss.

I don't know i have never seen anything like this before.

At least now I know I don't have Premium sound

Thank for your help.

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

I just wanted to update this post so that if anyone else has this problem maybe it could help.

The problem was due to a short in one of my back speakers.

I'm guessing the previous owner had changed out all the speakers and when the put the new ones in they didn't

mount them right so it had fallen out of its whole and was hitting the metal in the door.