FordContour.Org

Alternator bolt mod?

ccoach

So my engine / trans are hanging in mid-air tonight - my first engine pull! :)

Since this is likely to be a one-time shot at easy access to the engine, I got to thinking...

Having suffered the experience of changing the alternator in the middle of last winter, I was wondering about making the next alternator change easier.

Can those alternator bolts be turned around so they face the *right* way?

* Drill out the threaded side and a nut put on the other end. Getting a wrench on a static nut is a whole lot different than having to turn it!

* Or... Upsize the bolt and tap the hole on the backside?

Anyone done anything like this?

Btw, the current bolts stick out the end at least the same distance as the head of the bolt would - that should satisfy clearing the belt.

Scott

98' SE 2.5 / ATX (soon to be "Redbird's" second trans)

can't just turn the bolts around since the bracket is only threaded on one side. also if one did just turn them around I'm pretty sure there isn't enough space in the engine bay to get the bolts out on that side.

Terry talked about drilling out the bracket and using through bolts.

Or if you are like me, scrap the side bolt mount alternator and bracket and upgrade to the newer style Cougar alternator. No axle removal is required to get the alternator out. Plus, one 15mm nut on top, 2 13mm bolts easily accessible on the bottom make this alternator a snap if it needs to be changed.

Alternator Upgrade

-Dom

I guess it all depends on the level of aggravation you want to experience. Removing the knuckle / axle complete is a 10 minute or less job. Much easier than rotating the alternator trying to slide past the inner tripod housing.

-Dom

Here's the pics I was referring to Scott.

-Dom

Attach these wires together.

Backup050308 096.jpg

Throw away old pigtails and harness.

Backup050308 097.jpg

Here's the pics I was referring to Scott.

-Dom

Attach these wires together.

post-1032-0-17775700-1289931421_thumb.jpg

Throw away old pigtails and harness.

post-1032-0-72915200-1289931426_thumb.jpg

I 'assume' the 2 no-longer-needed wires should be 'butted-off'?

Scott

Yes, those two wires are the one's that need connected (orange to red) (green to green/black). The old connector and some of the harness that is removed gets pitched.

-Dom

Yes, those two wires are the one's that need connected (orange to red) (green to green/black). The old connector and some of the harness that is removed gets pitched.

-Dom

Dom,

Help!

I need to know how to deal with the alt hitting the end of the exhaust manifold!

Scott

I'm searching for the part you need, if I can find it buried in my shop I'll ship it to you - free.

-Dom

I'm searching for the part you need, if I can find it buried in my shop I'll ship it to you - free.

-Dom

Is this something I could find locally? What does it do?

I really appreciate your help! :)

Scott