Sign in to follow this  
RickAM

P1151 at Smog Check

Failed due to CEL, but emissions passed. Gotta fix something. Car has V6 with 114k miles and seems to be running strong. I did some searching here and figure I need to replace the UIM/LIM gaskets. I figure I'll clean them as well and replace the valve cover gaskets to hopefully stop an oil leak.

1. Should I replace the fuel injector O-Rings too?

2. Do I need to buy new gaskets or will Permatex Right Stuff gasket maker work well?

3. Is any part of this job "tricky"? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you

Failed due to CEL, but emissions passed. Gotta fix something. Car has V6 with 114k miles and seems to be running strong. I did some searching here and figure I need to replace the UIM/LIM gaskets. I figure I'll clean them as well and replace the valve cover gaskets to hopefully stop an oil leak.

2. Do I need to buy new gaskets or will Permatex Right Stuff gasket maker work well?

Thank you

First off :welcomeani:

1. You don't usually need to.

2. Buy new gaskets do not use gasket maker. FeltPro worked well for me.

3. Unless you have oil leaks at the valve covers leave them alone. Run some seafoam in your UIM and putting a bit in your gas shouldn't hurt either before you remove the UIM&LIM. This is to help clean up your secondaries. Plan on cleaning your parts while they are off. It is a very messy job a lot of carbon in both, but worth the effort. Have a set of retainers handy for the connecting rod between the IMRC and the secondaries. The little plastic clips break easy, but can be replaced from a kit at the AP store for door lock rod retainers.

There is a how to for the seafoam cleaning and the gasket replacement. You should also get one of the Ford CD's.

Regards,

AF

Thank you

First and Foremost Welcome! :welcomeani:

Are you located in CA,why didn't you unplug the battery and reset cpu before going to smog?

Thanks for the replies.

I did reset the CEL. It stayed off for 3-4 weeks of driving. I don't know why it came on during the test. The test must do something I don't do during my driving. It went out a couple of days after test, but came on again yesterday.

I'm not familiar with the connectors. Are they the same as this http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1261585 or are they different? If different are they common at any parts stores?

The car has a pretty good oil leak. It doesn't seem to greatly affect the oil level, but it leaves enough on the ground. I don't know exactly where it is coming from, but looks like mostly on passenger side. It has the oil pan covered, the engine behind the pulleys looks oily, and it looks like there is a little oil coming from under the valve covers. Driven for 10 minutes plus results in a burning oil smell, probably from burning on exhaust. I don't know for sure, but bearches on this site have led me to believe the valve covers could be leaking even more out of sight and ending up on front of engine. Since I will be replacing the UIM/LIM gaskets, seems wise to just pull the valve covers.

What does the Ford CD do for me? I have a Haynes manual.

Thanks for the replies.

I did reset the CEL. It stayed off for 3-4 weeks of driving. I don't know why it came on during the test. The test must do something I don't do during my driving. It went out a couple of days after test, but came on again yesterday.

I'm not familiar with the connectors. Are they the same as this http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1261585 or are they different? If different are they common at any parts stores?

The car has a pretty good oil leak. It doesn't seem to greatly affect the oil level, but it leaves enough on the ground. I don't know exactly where it is coming from, but looks like mostly on passenger side. It has the oil pan covered, the engine behind the pulleys looks oily, and it looks like there is a little oil coming from under the valve covers. Driven for 10 minutes plus results in a burning oil smell, probably from burning on exhaust. I don't know for sure, but bearches on this site have led me to believe the valve covers could be leaking even more out of sight and ending up on front of engine. Since I will be replacing the UIM/LIM gaskets, seems wise to just pull the valve covers.

http://www.repairmanualworld.com/1998-ford.html It is the entire FORD Shop Manual on CD all engineering diagrams ect...

Probably an Oil seal, won't know until you start tear down.Your theory is sound and probably a good place to start. Goodluck

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not familiar with the connectors. Are they the same as this http://www.rockauto.....php?pk=1261585 or are they different? If different are they common at any parts stores?

Those clips should work, for the oil leak put in some White Shepard. Terry talked about it then, I used it and it worked for my buddy's 98SVT.

The CD has everything the Haynes doesn't. Night and Day difference.

Regards,

AF